• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Going to London! Meeting those pesky Nets.....

Gray Mule

Ya I'm surprised they chose us and the Nets. Why not the Heat/Spurs or Knicks/Lakers. Seems like an odd choice. I'm specially bummed because its a home game for us. Man, after all these years of screwing us, you'd think Stern would take him foot off the gas pedal in his last year, but nope. Smh.

Hmmm...I wonder that maybe, just maybe, the revenues from O2 Arena will go to the home team.

I do like the move, the Hawks used to play games all over the Southeast when they were the only team in the region. It is a smart way to get into the minds of the youth in Europe and brainwash them to be stupid fans just like us.

Ya I'm surprised they chose us and the Nets. Why not the Heat/Spurs or Knicks/Lakers. Seems like an odd choice. I'm specially bummed because its a home game for us. Man, after all these years of screwing us, you'd think Stern would take him foot off the gas pedal in his last year, but nope. Smh.

I'd look at this as an opportunity for the Hawks to increase their brand recognition instead of saying they are getting screwed over.

I grew up abroad and knew of the Hawks and Wilkins.... mainly thanks to NBA Jam. "He's ON FIRE!"

Most of London/Europe knows of the star/marquee players - time to give the runts a shot at exposure.

I like it - I hope the Hawks take advantage of it and put on a good showing so we get some fans.

• Moderators

I would buy an Al Horford Atlanta Hawks soccer jersey. lol

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 1

• Moderators
  • Like 2

Do you really think that London is a good place to show off a basketball team ? The British are the most unsporting nation in Europe.All they care for is football and then after a long wait there is probably darts/horses or something like that.Basketball is played and watched in Southern and Eastern Europe.If you want exposure in Europe for a basketball team you play in Istanbul,Moscow,Belgrade,Athens,Milan not in London where 90% of the audience will be Americans who work in London or immigrants.

I really don't understand what is the deal with London and the o2 arena they have been buying events in every sport .The Euroleague F4 was a farce,they organized it so bad that at one point some players took brooms to wipe the floor them self's because the guys whose job was it were incompetent now the want to have the handballs F4 which will have the same result.If it is not football London and the UK are the places where other sports go to die.

Also I think I must add that it takes more to get international support than signing up players.The NBA was HUGE in the Balkans in the 80`s and 90`s .Every night in 2-3`am people would gather outside to watch games and then go to work directly.Every kid knew every team and every player.Today most discussions about the NBA are about players and teams in the 80`s and 90`s.What turned people off was the fact that teams could move which for a European is an unimaginable thing,tanking and than the first 2 brought the notion that it was not a sport but entertainment.Play good basketball and give all you have in every game and international support will come Memphis became really popular because of their defense,Minnesota was popular briefly because they signed a lot of European players but because of they way the play everyone now thinks of them as losers .

Istambul or Athens are more basketball fans. But whatever you put in London, it will sell out and be a good event. Morever, basketball is rising there. English is an important reason for them to play there. I would also bet that if you put this game in Milan, Moscow or Belgrade, it wouldn't have more attendance.

Let's be honest. NBA was popular in the Balkans because there were balcanic players as Petrovic, Kukoc or Divac. If not, they would not have been as interested. Just like in Spain, where people follow more the NBA since Pau Gasol entered the league.

Moving a team from a city to other it's not common in Europe, that's true. In Europe is more common to see a lot of professional teams (ok, just in some leagues, in Spain sadly is common) who don't pay players because they don't know to manage their teams. Or, as in Spain, a league where there have been teams who have disappeared because they didn't have money (for example, former Marc Gasol team, Girona). Or watching municipalities paying debts for some teams with our money. Tell me what's worse.

Having international players is something good to have international supporters. There are a lot of Spanish Minnesotta fans since Ricky is there. But, if you are a team who knows to play good basketball, you will also have supporters. And, if we can show that we can play good basketball there, it will always help.

Every international journal will have a news about this match. And a few news from the previous days. Sadly, Nets have more hype because of players as Garnett or Pierce.

BTW some photos from our players there:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

I suppose that they will continue visiting more places, those photos (except the first one) are from Stamford Bridge (Chelsea stadium).

• Like 2

This, apparently, is a Nets promotional journey and the Hawks are along,

much as the Washington Generals are along with the Globe Trotters.

Do you really believe that we, the poor boys from Atlanta, have a show ball's

chance in August in Atlanta?

Garnett will be there. Paul Pierce will be there. Iso Joe Johnson will become

the star attraction as he scores 40 points this afternoon, taking the game in

hand and carrying the Nets to an easy win.

Atlanta is lucky that they have enough finances made available to them to do this.

The Nets, on the other hand, could have had their owner finance this entire thing,

give away all the tickets and pay for all the media coverage and he would have

missed all that money as you or I would have missed the money we spent for that

cup of coffee last week.

And, we missed a week of NBA basketball so that we could do this today? Gee whiz!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hawks have to show the world the Nets are a bunch of old farts and run them out of the gym. No offense here GM, as I'm old myself, already at the wrong side of 40.

Anyway, with JYD out, I expect the Hawks to run and gun, since our D gets a lot worse withou DeMarre. Bombs away, KK!

GO HAWKS! We need this to push BKN out of the playoff picture.

Still in your 40's and old? Convince me. I have 2 sons over 50.

Their baby sister, much younger than they are, is a grandmother.

If you're old, what does that make me?

I'm with you. I wish we could whip these Nets and send them away with

their tails between their legs. But, old as they are, they've apparently found

the fountain of youth, especially when they see the Hawks.

And, remember. Just for this game, they have had all that extra time to rest.

• Like 1

Still in your 40's and old? Convince me. I have 2 sons over 50.

Their baby sister, much younger than they are, is a grandmother.

If you're old, what does that make me?

I'm with you. I wish we could whip these Nets and send them away with

their tails between their legs. But, old as they are, they've apparently found

the fountain of youth, especially when they see the Hawks.

And, remember. Just for this game, they have had all that extra time to rest.

Ancient?Posted Image

• Moderators

Hawks have to show the world the Nets are a bunch of old farts and run them out of the gym. No offense here GM, as I'm old myself, already at the wrong side of 40.

Anyway, with JYD out, I expect the Hawks to run and gun, since our D gets a lot worse withou DeMarre. Bombs away, KK!

GO HAWKS! We need this to push BKN out of the playoff picture.

There is no wrong side of 40. Just wrong side of the ground.