• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pretty clear to me ..Why the meltdown?

IheartVolt

• Premium Member

I don't get the "be patient" angle. I would be hella patient if this was a rebuild via the lottery. Why the heck are fans being asked to be patient with this collection of mediocre misfits?

Garbage in garbage out!

• Like 1

While the part about the NBA is true, Atlanta has bad fans. For a market as big as ours, we don't support our teams very well.

I agree to some extent but I think there are a lot of outside factors effecting attendance. A lot of the money and potential fanbase lives outside the perimeter and most given days it just isn't worth it to get to the stadium at 7 on a weekday. So your market is people inside or at the perimeter, and folks that come after work. Honestly with everything considered, I think weekday attendance for hawks and braves games is pretty decent. We have really zero public transport. So it's a lot of work to get to the games, and on top of that you have to pay for parking and all the costs for a 2 hour game start to add up. I can't say for the hawks but weekend attendance at the TED is pretty good because it is much easier to get there. Attending sporting games just isn't that big of a priority for most fans anymore. The only place you see not affected are big cities with a large urban population and a public transportation system. Well. And LA lol. Summary: Atlanta is not very conducive to the average fan. It is a hard city to navigate especially on weekdays for a game at 7pm. Edited by Afro

• Premium Member

I understand I get too upset about this stuff and I compare it to the business world that I compete in, and I guess that is not a viable comparison.

That being said, All I or any diehard Hawk fan on this board wants is the team to be successful. I am not into another 5 year build that yields nothing, I've seen way to much of that over the pat 15 years. I do not agree with the track that Ferry has taken and I have stated way too many times my disgust for the ownership group.

Meltdown is a strong word to use. I think there is definitely a let down feeling, regardless of our bigger picture plan. Trade deadline coming and going basically just confirms that this team isn't worth watching for the rest of the season. Maybe if you live in Atlanta, but it's not worth paying for league pass. I already canceled my subscription.Overall I do think we are headed in the right direction and I'm glad we didn't make any bad deals, but trade deadline always has that slight possibility of changing your season, for better or worse.This is a hungry fan base. There is going to be frustration until we start to really see where this is headed.

• Premium Member

Ferry is Sund 2.0. His "plan" is to stock the team with average talent then hope for the best.

Iheartferry, I agree with you 100%. I was beyond happy when I stumbled across this forum this past off-season but was immediately saddened when I saw the opinions of the majority of the people on here. I am very happy with our lack of moves at the trade deadline. Why people want to sacrifice our long-term goals for a short-term semi-fix is beyond me. How do you bash Ferry when he has accomplished more in his first two years than any GM for the Hawks.

I do understand the want to be better than just a treadmill team but all of these trade wishes would end up with us stuck as mediocre treadmill team. Let Ferry work and tread water until he finds the right deal that he thinks will put us over the top. Coach Bud has already shown that he is one hell of a coach. I have complete faith that we just need to land that one superstar, which is much easier said than done, but if we do get him, Ferry and Bud will build a damn good team around that player.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Ferry will have his chance this offseason to show what he can or can not do. I like that part of the article Dolf put up from Lowe or Bill Simmons about how much smarter GMs have gotten. This is the first year you can really see the new CBA directly affecting personnel management:

Expiring contracts don't have the value they once did

Teams are now treating any first rounder as gold

Second round picks are now highly valued

You put all this together and some of our assets like Brand on a 1 year deal or the ability to absorb other people's bad deals got extremely diminished.

We still have our pick to see how that plays out plus the possibility of flipping it with Brooklyn. We still have some cap space and we do have pieces that I think still have some value in Teague and Korver let alone Paul and Al if he really wanted to make major changes.

So let's wait until the offseason before we either kill Ferry or praise him. If nothing else he got us out of Joe and Marvin's deals and we don't have any bad long term deals on the books. He also hired a good coach in Bud.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This is actually very well-said (even from someone who was against the JoeJohnson trade Posted Image).

Ferry's gotta make headway this off-season though. Not saying hit a home run, but he's gotta hit a stand-up double here or there. Can't keep selling this wait-and-see my supreme plan stuff.

I know you are joking with the first line :p I was in favor of the trade I just wanted us to maybe get Brooks or Green out of it.

• Premium Member

Yeah, couldn't miss that opportunity to stoke the flames our benevolent mod poured gasoline on (I kid, I kid).

Green could've been serviceable if used properly. I still don't see what y'all saw in Brooks. He and the other Hawksquawk favorite, Jas. Crawford, are vying for the most traded chucker title.

Green def. could be of use now...I'm not sure what the has happened to Brooks. he really looked like he might be a kerry kittles kind of player but after his rookie year he just seems to be DNP CD until traded to another team to pick up more DNP CD

Iheartferry, I agree with you 100%. I was beyond happy when I stumbled across this forum this past off-season but was immediately saddened when I saw the opinions of the majority of the people on here. I am very happy with our lack of moves at the trade deadline. Why people want to sacrifice our long-term goals for a short-term semi-fix is beyond me. How do you bash Ferry when he has accomplished more in his first two years than any GM for the Hawks. I do understand the want to be better than just a treadmill team but all of these trade wishes would end up with us stuck as mediocre treadmill team. Let Ferry work and tread water until he finds the right deal that he thinks will put us over the top. Coach Bud has already shown that he is one hell of a coach. I have complete faith that we just need to land that one superstar, which is much easier said than done, but if we do get him, Ferry and Bud will build a damn good team around that player.

See we are on the same page. You have just got to give the man a little time. You cannot expect him to turn chit into chocolate pudding in just 2 years

Yeah, couldn't miss that opportunity to stoke the flames our benevolent mod poured gasoline on (I kid, I kid).

Green could've been serviceable if used properly. I still don't see what y'all saw in Brooks. He and the other Hawksquawk favorite, Jas. Crawford, are vying for the most traded chucker title.

Hey just remember theirs the a$$hole poster Dolfan23 and the fair (as much as I can) moderator Dolfan23. Rarely do the two exist in the same thread. I'm no @AHF when it comes to that sort of thing.

See we are on the same page. You have just got to give the man a little time. You cannot expect him to turn chit into chocolate pudding in just 2 years

How about chocolate pie? Note, if you haven't see The Help then you probably won't get this reference.

Posted Image

• Moderators

Yet Stern gets all this praise? I am not sure how well this glorification of individual talent over team is panning out as evidenced by those stats.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stern did a ton to grow the league and its profitability. I have my issues with him but he deserves some of the praise.

Keep in mind that basketball was nowhere near as popular as baseball or football when he came in. Football remains the most popular sport at all levels (pro, college, HS, etc.) so it is no surprise that the NFL ranks higher and no criticism of Stern should be based on the fact that the NBA hasn't leaped over the NFL, IMO.

• Like 1