• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The State of the East Address

nathan2331

I disagree about Orlando and Boston I think they've set themselves up nicely for the future and the Bulls can go either way depending on Rose but I agree with alot of the rest

I shouldn't have been so negative towards them. Orlando, Boston and Philadelphia did what's best for their team and even with the Bucks I don't think they intended to be this bad, and if they did then good for them.

I'm squarely on the tank train but I think what the anti-tankers don't realize is that we all view the league similarly. A healthy Hawks team is 3-5 at worst in the East as it's currently constituted. Where we probably disagree is in how we view the value of being 3-5. I don't think it means much because we're not on par with IN/Miami right now even as flawed as Miami is IMO. I agree with much of what you wrote, which is nice analysis by the way. I do think you're too harsh on Bos/Phi/Mil as you seem to begrudingly (sp?) acquiesce to. Take Milwaukee for example. The Bucks are basically Hawks-lite in some ways. They won't attract any FA and have a ownership/FO that has a bad rep around the league. After this draft they could have 2 7', high-quality defenders (one to keep, one to trade) which could turn into another talented backcourt piece to go along with Henson and Giannis. They've actually set themselves up to have the potential to really improve this offseason. If they end up with a good coach who knows what they're future would hold. Dare I say, despite how AWFUL they are this year due to the tank, it could get markedly better with some shrewd moves. IMO, it's not the strategy that's the issue, it's poor execution after the fact (i.e. Bobcats).

Fair enough, I did correct myself earlier about what I said concerning Orl/Phi/Bos but you are still right about them. I still maintain that we made the best decision to try and win games simply due to the fact that we only have two teams in our way. If Stephenson leaves Indy, that number drops to 1 (we can take Indy in a series). Now if I'm wrong and we still can't hang with the big boys, then I'm fine packing it up. But I think we have a chance to do something special with how weak the East is at the moment.

Didn't the trade of Granger allow Indy space to re-sign Stephenson? I suppose he could opt for a change/more prominent role on a team. I think that'd be a mistake though. I'm not as high on him as most. Seems like a more in control version of J.R. Smith. The East is ripe for the picking for a Spurs-esque squad who's solid enough and mentally-strong enough to get through Miami's flash and Indy's D. We can certainly be that. Just need some pieces.

Indy will be at $65.7 mil next season if the offer Evan Turner his QO of $8.7 mil (which I doubt). If they renounce him they will $57mil. They can go over the cap to sign Stephenson (I've seen nbrs in the $10-$12 mil range) which gets them close to LT territory - Bird already said they are not in a position to be a LT paying team.If a team offers Stephenson more - Indy might think twice about matching.

• Moderators

Indy will be at $65.7 mil next season if the offer Evan Turner his QO of $8.7 mil (which I doubt).

Unless Turner does something completely new and wonderful in Indy, there is not a chance they will offer Turner that QO.

Unless Turner does something completely new and wonderful in Indy, there is not a chance they will offer Turner that QO.

Or unless Stephenson gets waaaaay beyond their price range.

• Moderators

Or unless Stephenson gets waaaaay beyond their price range.

They still won't make a QO to Turner. They have to make the offer before they know Stephenson's price range and they will be looking to sign Turner for less. Paying $13M for Stephenson is worth it if the alternative is $9M for Turner.

They still won't make a QO to Turner. They have to make the offer before they know Stephenson's price range and they will be looking to sign Turner for less. Paying $13M for Stephenson is worth it if the alternative is $9M for Turner.

Definitely agree that a Turner is not worth 9 mil