• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Playoff picture

Hawkeyes007

With three wins in a row and a 3 and half game lead on the 9th place Knicks, I'm starting to think maybe we can make the playoffs. If the playoffs started tomorrow we'd draw the Pacers... a bad draw for anyone and although I want to believe, I doubt we could recreate the 1999 Knicks and beat the first seed as a number eight like they did against Miami. While we're only 2 games behind the Bobcats passing them puts us in the 7th seed against Miami in the first round... not much better than the Pacers. So the way I see it, we really need to make a run for the sixth seed (we're 4 behind the nets) to get past the first round. If we were in the sixth seed now, we'd be matched up against the Raptors and I think we could come out with a win against them. Now looking at the remainder of our schedule I think it's possible, if we continue our run, to go 13-5 with losses to the Suns, Blazers, Bulls, Pacers and Heat. Just curious what everyone thinks. Will we make the playoffs and if so what seed?

With three wins in a row and a 3 and half game lead on the 9th place Knicks, I'm starting to think maybe we can make the playoffs. If the playoffs started tomorrow we'd draw the Pacers... a bad draw for anyone and although I want to believe, I doubt we could recreate the 1999 Knicks and beat the first seed as a number eight like they did against Miami. While we're only 2 games behind the Bobcats passing them puts us in the 7th seed against Miami in the first round... not much better than the Pacers. So the way I see it, we really need to make a run for the sixth seed (we're 4 behind the nets) to get past the first round. If we were in the sixth seed now, we'd be matched up against the Raptors and I think we could come out with a win against them.Now looking at the remainder of our schedule I think it's possible, if we continue our run, to go 13-5 with losses to the Suns, Blazers, Bulls, Pacers and Heat.Just curious what everyone thinks. Will we make the playoffs and if so what seed?

Yes, I think we'll make the playoffs. It would be nice to get to the 6th seed, avoid Miami or Indiana, because theyre clearly the best teams in East and will most likely play for the conference. I think we could have a competetive series with another other team in the east. I think we're going to end up being the 8th seed and play Miami.

I enjoy discussing playoffs around here, but I'm in the minority. You're going to get more tanking and haters on this thread than playoff talk.

I think we'll end up between 7th and 9th. It seems the conference championship will run through Miami or Indiana the next few years, so I don't mind a first round series with either one of those teams. I wouldn't expect us to win, of course, but hopefully this would give Bud a chance to see what does and does not work in a playoff series against Miami or Indiana. This experience can only help a healthy/improved roster next year.

• Admin

There is a huge difference ... We have a chance to the first 3 picks of a special draft as opposed to being swept by Indiana without our best player. Also if we don't win lottery we probably will get the 10th pick instead of the 15th if we do make the playoffs

• Like 1

• Moderators

In the past I would have rather faced the Pacers but I think Bud at least has a strategy that would be effective against the Heat. To me this year the Heat have more vulnerabilities but Lebron or the refs usually make up for those. I just hate losing to the Heat though.

Knicks are on a 6 game win streak so they could make it interesting. And you know the league would rather have the Knicks vs Pacers or Knicks vs Heat in the 1st than Atlanta.

Edited by macdaddy

Unfortunately the Hawks will make the playoffs. I believe they'll stick as the 8th seed. Tonight's game is huge moving forward if the Hawks can get a win. I would welcome the 6th seed because that would be our only chance to advance a round. If I am saying what I want to happen...I want the Hawks in the lottery.

• Moderators

Unfortunately the Hawks will make the playoffs. I believe they'll stick as the 8th seed. Tonight's game is huge moving forward if the Hawks can get a win. I would welcome the 6th seed because that would be our only chance to advance a round. If I am saying what I want to happen...I want the Hawks in the lottery.

I think this is right. I go back and forth about whether I want the Hawks to make or miss the playoffs. I do condemn the original plan at this point (losing our max contract cap space for a first or second round playoff exit in a year with a historic draft just seems like a missed opportunity) but I think our best case draft scenario is #12 at this point which isn't particularly exciting either. I hope to see clearer direction from Ferry this offseason.

• Like 1