• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Lebron or Melo opts out, no one should get QT from us. Not Ayón, Scott, or Mack

NBASupes

To be frank. I really don't want any of them back with Scott being on edge for me.

Assumptions are a Cap of 63.2 million and Luxury Tax Apron of 81 million. I have excluded TPEs that are set to expire at the Draft (or pre 7/1, whichever you prefer). There were only a couple of very minor ones. This is all based off 2014-2015 salaries and contracts!

Atlanta Hawks: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1317163
Current Space: None. $6,741,707.00 over
Maximum Space: $14,112,839.00

Guaranteed Contracts (8): DeMarre Carroll, Al Horford, John Jenkins, Kyle Korver, Paul Millsap, Dennis Schröder, Jeff Teague, Lou Williams

Non-Guaranteed Contracts Kept (2): Pero Antić, Mike Muscala

10 players.

We are going to sign our 15th pick and Bebe.

3.0 million going into the 2014-15 season.

11,097,839.00 in cap space to sign FA.

Lebron if he takes like can be anywhere from 13 mil (MIA) to 17 mil since he wants pieces. Clearly Bron can get more but at what price of his supporting cast which matters. Melo wants the same amount if not more.

For us to get 13 mil, we would need to trade or simple release Antić due to him being on a non guarantee contract which Mike M is also on. That's unlikely but it's a possiblity. For 17 mil, it would be simple. We would need to trade Lou Williams for cap space who is 5.45 mil dollars in 14'. While this is possible, with the amount of teams looking to move players for cap space, the price could be high in 2014 due to teams having great options. While Lou has proven to be a good 6th man, his play and injury concern lower his value and even as an exp, we might have to come off with a 2nd or two. I don't think a 1st round pick is nesscary but who knows.

This would give us more than enough money and just getting rid of Lou alone gives us 16,547,839 of cap space for 2014-15. If Lebron wants more, we can always cut Mike which gives 17.3 mil of space with 10 players on the roster due to the Lou trade and Mike roster cut.

As for other teams:

Only teams with real space is Dallas, Detroit, LAL, Bucks, Orlando, Philly, Kings, Jazz, and Spurs.

Dallas has Dirk as a FA who is willing to take 11 to 12 mil. Giving them a potential 18 mil space with Ellis and Dirk. But outside of that, their depth isn't that great and their star is aging. Still a spot that has a chance at a star like James or Melo.

Det- Monroe is a FA and wants a big deal. Their money isn't as great as they would like.

LAL- Put too much money in Kobe. Just signing Bron or Melo would put them close to the limit without signing the role players. Rebuilding.

Bucks- Suck

Cavs- Disfunctional org.

Orlando- Rebuilding

Philly- See ORL

Philly- See ORL

Kings- Thomas is a FA and if Gay opts in, they don't have much money if any at all.

Spurs- Depends if Tony accepts his player opt and if Duncan opts in. Otherwise, they don't have the cap space.

Teams who have a shot:

Houston- They will have to trade Asik and Lin without taking any salary. Possible with Asik. Probably highly unlikely with Lin but it's possible.

Boston- They can get the space with some realistic trades as they have some pieces. Same chance as the Hawks without as good a personnel as the Hawks.

Chicago- This is possible like Boston but they have to make some moves. They have to trade both Dunleavy and Gibson without taking any salary. Then they have to move their picks unless they want to keep Mirotic in Europe. Not to mention, amesty Boozer. While it's possible. It's not likely. Since the Knicks have zero interest in a SnT without getting great pieces, it's unlikely Chicago will get Melo or Bron but it's possible like Boston. Houston is a lot harder for me to see since Lin isn't worth his salary for next year much less an owner paying him twice that out of his own pockets. Even with that done, you are stripping Chicago bare just to land Melo in Chicago. Not sure that's ideal.

The Hawks have a chance at Melo and Bron. But I think Melo is likely to go to Dallas. I think Bron is likely to stay in Miami. But we will see. I like what Atlanta has done in regards to building a great team that can contend if you add a stud like Melo or Lebron. Clearly Lebron could make us dominate.

From my views and cap space:

For Melo

1. Dallas 40%

2. Knicks 30%

3. Bulls 15%

4. Rockets 14.9%

5. Celtics .1%

For Lebron:

1. Heat 65%

2. Hawks 15%

3. Dallas 10%

4. Spurs if possible #1. 9%

5. Lakers 1%

I don't see the Cavs having a chance. I don't see Miami doing a SnT for Bron, if so, that drops us several slots for Melo and Bron. LAC and Houston goes up if that case ahead of us. I don't see Melo coming to the Hawks. He just doesn't see the game like that. He will be more likely to go where the names are bigger and the lights are blighter. Lebron could be looking for team, style, system, coaching, personnel, potential, is the owner willing to spend, etc. Atlanta stands a great chance.

Sleepers for Melo is Philly.

Sleepers for Lebron is Phoenix.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

Not sure where that guy on RealGM is getting his numbers but according to Sham we have $48,716,058 without any options next year but then you have to figure in cap holds for empty roster slots as we'd only have 8 guys under contract plus the 15th pick for another 1.75 million or so. So basically 4-5 empty slot holds and our cap room is nowhere near what that guy projected it to be. At least I don't believe it is.

In the morning I'm sure @hawksfanatic or @MaceCase (if he's still alive) can check out the math here and clarify.

Not sure where that guy on RealGM is getting his numbers but according to Sham we have $48,716,058 without any options next year but then you have to figure in cap holds for empty roster slots as we'd only have 8 guys under contract plus the 15th pick for another 1.75 million or so. So basically 4-5 empty slot holds and our cap room is nowhere near what that guy projected it to be. At least I don't believe it is.

In the morning I'm sure @hawksfanatic or @MaceCase (if he's still alive) can check out the math here and clarify.

Haha why does MaceCase live dangerously? Lol

I dunno just called him out a couple times in other threads and no response. I've long though he's actually Exodus and maybe now he's gone the way of the Exodus.

Oh I thought he might have taken a few shots of whiskey and been out of commission for the day...(cough cough)...

'The devil? I take a lil sojourn on down to Miami for the weekend and I'm getting constantly badgered by @Dolfan23 to whip up MATH on my vacation and to top it off he's talking as though I disappeared ever since Smoove signed in Detroit or since the Fat Boys broke up.

Oh no, good sirs, I'll leave the cap crunching to my colleague in arms, I'm too busy trying to unclog this hotel toilet to whip out any napkin math (long story, but my buddy owes me a new bottle of cologne). You're not getting anything from me til Tuesday at the earliest or whenever I see the security deposit back in my credit card account....and I guess I'll actually have to read what the hell this thread is about in the first place too.

• Like 3

Contrary to popular belief, Dallas is pretty deep because its run well. Its one of the best bench scoring teams.

And contrary to popular belief, Dallas isnt that bad on defense because its run well. True, the individual pieces are pathetic defensive performers either on paper or by perception(like Dirk's defense is truly underrated), but they play a good team-d, specially when Dalembert is on the floor(contrary to popular belief, a big + guy whenever he's on the court, when run well), and is one of the better stealing and forced turnovers teams.

There is a reason Dallas took San Antonio to game 7, and could easily have won two of those losses. If only Dallas had beaten Memphis last season game, we would have went up against OKC, who we beat 2-1 in the season. Also Dallas did well vs Portland, Houston, and LA Clippers.

If Dallas can take its weakest link out in form of the now pretty much done Marion and replace that position with Lebron, then watch out league. Maybe we'd even lure Chandler back.

But indeed, Dirk isnt getting better, but a Lebron coupled to Ellis would severely make them less dependent on Dirk, and hence Dirk can do more what he's still capable to do very good.

Not that it will happen. But Lebron could win titles, be competive in the conference where the real action happens, and be in a system and team thats fun to play and where it isnt all on him.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

Hmmm, well the basic math for likely scenarios has already been done. Here http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/5/8/5688226/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-2014-offseason and here http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/6/8/5774268/salary-cap-exceptions-and-moves-available-to-the-hawks.

We will likely have $11.5m in cap space. If you are f***ing insane and get rid of draft picks and drop Antić (if we drop Muscala then we get a roster charge PLUS his guaranteed salary...so that is a dumb move) then that would give us $14,211,934 with an assumed cap of $63.2m.

I have no idea what numbers you want me to crunch, but most of it is done in the articles. Well at least the ones that matter.

Oh man good stuff got the EOA's fired up this morning! Many apologies Macecase haha (won't tag you so you won't be disturbed while on vacation)

Hmmm, well the basic math for likely scenarios has already been done. Here http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/5/8/5688226/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-2014-offseason and here http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/6/8/5774268/salary-cap-exceptions-and-moves-available-to-the-hawks.

We will likely have $11.5m in cap space. If you are f***ing insane and get rid of draft picks and drop Antić (if we drop Muscala then we get a roster charge PLUS his guaranteed salary...so that is a dumb move) then that would give us $14,211,934 with an assumed cap of $63.2m.

I have no idea what numbers you want me to crunch, but most of it is done in the articles. Well at least the ones that matter.

If only someone had posted and pinned those articles here...

• Like 1

Thanks @hawksfanatic and @Dolfan23 for the updated cap space.

From his numbers if we don't give the QO to any of our FA's and renonce their rights. Which could happen as all of the players who are FA's aren't coming back or are either highly replacable. We would have:

For each unfilled roster spot below 12, a team is charged the rookie minimum salary ($507,336 for next season). Keeping all players listed above on the team (10), the Hawks could have $13,469,270 in Cap Space given the current projections for BRI. This is not likely to ever occur because draft picks are valuable as well as the rights' to Free Agents.

Let's run down the other information we know right now.

But as we all know, we are bring Bebe and putting our 15th pick on the team which is:

This means we need to account for these values when discussing the Hawks Cap Space:

While these are the Cap Holds associated with the draft picks, they will have some leeway in their starting salary. Lucas and the #15 can sign a contract between 80 to 120% of their rookie scale. Last year, Dennis Schröder signed for 100% of his rookie scale for the first year, and then 120% of his rookie scale for subsequent years. There is an added twist of paying a buyout, but that does not affect the Salary Cap so we will omit that discussion in this article.

If Atlanta was to renounce all Free Agents but keep their draft picks, then the Hawks would have $51,731,058 in Team Salary (the draft picks act as a placeholder for the incomplete roster charge). This would be approximately $11,468,942 in Cap Space. You can be the judge if this is enough to entice a player to sign with Atlanta.

This would give us $11,468,942 in Cap Space.

So what if we traded Lou Williams for cap space:

Lou Williams $5,450,000 - 507,336 = 4,942,664 is what his space is worth due to the fact that we have to 12 players min. Now the good news is this: For any FA we sign in FA, we can sign someone for his full cap space which is 16,918,942 in cap space.

So to sign any FA if we manuver the cap would be 16,918,942 in cap space. If we release Mike M, that would give us 309,146 of extra cap space which would give us 17,228,088 of available cap space.

We also have to take into that we have the mid room level exception which should put in the range for these PF's:

Mike Scott

Dejuan Blair

Glen Davis

Kevin Seraphin

Matt Bonner

Darrell Arthur

Udoh Ekpe

Al Harrington

Royce White

The Hawks have never used this exception, but it was widely thought last season Demarre Carroll was signed with the RMLE. In fact, he was not signed via that exception even though his contract fits in identically with the maximum value that the RMLE allowed for last year. NOTE: The RMLE is available to EVERYONE.

Please keep into mind that the Hawks do NOT know the salary cap for 2014-15 yet as do the rest of the NBA. So these are projections.

It seems like the best we can do is: So to sign any FA if we manuver the cap would be 16,918,942 in cap space. If we release Mike M, that would give us 309,146 of extra cap space which would give us 17,228,088 of available cap space and this is with Lou Williams traded for cap space.

Ferry has made every move with the intent to have flexibility and options for the future. The question for me is would he deviate from this tactic to make a big signing. The answer must be affirmative but with the risk of strapping us moving forward. A delicate balance

• Like 1

Looking at this from all angles, it would make sense for Atlanta to trade Lou Williams for cap space during the draft regardless if they are trying to land Lebron or not. Even if we can't sign someone special, we can then resign Mack and Scott with no issues and flexiablity for next year.

• Like 1

Looking at this from all angles, it would make sense for Atlanta to trade Lou Williams for cap space during the draft regardless if they are trying to land Lebron or not. Even if we can't sign someone special, we can then resign Mack and Scott with no issues and flexiablity for next year.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking too. Regardless of what the salary cap may be, Lou should be traded to free up cap space for player or players who actually fit the system.

It would be awesome to see lebron or melo in Atlanta but I know it's not likely. Maybe if lebron just considers us publicly it will do some good for the hawks franchise for other possible stars in the future.

Thanks @hawksfanatic and @Dolfan23 for the updated cap space.

From his numbers if we don't give the QO to any of our FA's and renonce their rights. Which could happen as all of the players who are FA's aren't coming back or are either highly replacable. We would have:

But as we all know, we are bring Bebe and putting our 15th pick on the team which is:

This would give us $11,468,942 in Cap Space.

So what if we traded Lou Williams for cap space:

Lou Williams $5,450,000 - 507,336 = 4,942,664 is what his space is worth due to the fact that we have to 12 players min. Now the good news is this: For any FA we sign in FA, we can sign someone for his full cap space which is 16,918,942 in cap space.

So to sign any FA if we manuver the cap would be 16,918,942 in cap space. If we release Mike M, that would give us 309,146 of extra cap space which would give us 17,228,088 of available cap space.

We also have to take into that we have the mid room level exception which should put in the range for these PF's:

Mike Scott

Dejuan Blair

Glen Davis

Kevin Seraphin

Matt Bonner

Darrell Arthur

Udoh Ekpe

Al Harrington

Royce White

Please keep into mind that the Hawks do NOT know the salary cap for 2014-15 yet as do the rest of the NBA. So these are projections.

It seems like the best we can do is: So to sign any FA if we manuver the cap would be 16,918,942 in cap space. If we release Mike M, that would give us 309,146 of extra cap space which would give us 17,228,088 of available cap space and this is with Lou Williams traded for cap space.

For all members.