• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My only issue with the way we're building

ATL_BALLER

F&B are trying to establish a distinct culture, with continuity - but are doing so with a core that's nearing or is already on the wrong side of 30 (a trend that will continue if we sign Deng).

So, if we start to see some success, how long can we expect to sustain, and actually build on it? What impact young talent are we developing, beyond Jeff, Schred and potentially Payne, to cement the culture beyond the short window? (It's why the Brand signing didn't make a lot of sense to me - with a team of established, hard working vets, who was he really there to mentor?)

I'd much rather have a young and improving core with some vets sprinkled in than a team of solid vets with limited upside.

Edited by ATL_BALLER

• Premium Member

F&B are trying to establish a distinct culture, with continuity - but are doing so with a core that's nearing or is already on the wrong side of 30 (a trend that will continue if we sign Deng).

So, if we start to see some success, how long can we expect to sustain, and actually build on it? What impact young talent are we developing, beyond Jeff, Schred and potentially Payne, to cement the culture beyond the short window? (It's why the Brand signing didn't make a lot of sense to me - with a team of established, hard working vets, who was he really there to mentor?)

I'd much rather have a young and improving core with some vets sprinkled in than a team of solid vets with limited upside.

There hasn't been many young teams that have won championships.

Look at your final four this year:

Indy = 28.2

Miami = 30.8

OKC = 24.8

Spurs = 28.6

Whereas before we were 26.9 years.

The point is that you rarely find young teams in contention.  It takes veterans to win.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think two things.

First, I see an opportunity in the short-term b/c of our performance last season without even our best player, coupled with the turbulence at the top of the Eastern Conference. You essentially add two guys with ASG credentials to the 2014-15 roster that you didn't have the previous season, while IND and MIA look a little vulnerable, and that's pretty appealing.

Second, the long-term viability is more of an issue of developing your draftees to be ready to step-in at the conclusion of the current guys' contracts.

Right, but with the exception of the current Spurs, all of those teams have made their runs with premium and evolving young talent at the core with a SUPPORTING veteran cast. We've got the vets at our core without a wealth of ascending young talent.

I think coaching staff, ownership as well as old/new players all contribute.  You've got to realize we are at the beginning of establishing the culture.  But also players who recognize what we are doing are drawn to it.......which will take time. 

• Premium Member

Seems relevant to this topic...

• Like 1

The draft is an unproven tactic. The same teams tanking are still tanking. Never ending cycle. Maybe one out of every 4 teams manages to go out of the cycle and still manages a low seed(not an actual statistic). Unless you get a Tim Duncan franchise big, your still going to be tanking the next year.