Braves trade

Vol4ever

Today's trade is OK, but Wren is showing he really can't manage a MLB roster. Too many bad big money contracts that prevent the team from making themselves better.

Just look what Tampa got for Price. The Braves could have put together a better package but Uggla and BJ's deals completely prevented the team from getting another high priced guy. Heck even Lester was acquired for a 250ish guys with 17 HRs. Not a huge return on one of the best pitchers in the game.

I really hope the Braves upper management takes a strong look at Wren's performance and decide that he isn't the best guy for a sub 100 mil/year payroll team.

Given what the Rays got in return. Have to think the Braves could have beat that offer. Wren past mistakes in Uggla and BJ hurt him here.

At the sametime I am not sure Price would have really helped. This is more of a reflection of the entire team then anything. They are such an enigmatic team. It would almost feel like we would be throwing away prospects.

No they haven't. They have been in a lot of these games they have lost. They are also running into every team ACE as well. If you're trying to be optimistic about this losing streak then there it is.

This weekend series will likely determine the Braves season. They got the Nats for 3 at home. I feel they have to sweep the series.

The Braves collapse is the second one in 4 years. That is a direct reflection of the roster and it's management. Both of those issues point to a much needed change in the management structure of the team. Wren and Gonzo need to go. Wren has made some nice draft picks and had a couple of good trades, but his performance in Free Agency is abysmal. For a team that is under a self-imposed cap you just can't make mistakes to the degree that Wren has in FA.

I'm very disappointed in the Braves this season. They have the talent to be a top 4-5 team in MLB but they can't get it together to be there. 

• Moderators

The Braves collapse is the second one in 4 years. That is a direct reflection of the roster and it's management. Both of those issues point to a much needed change in the management structure of the team. Wren and Gonzo need to go. Wren has made some nice draft picks and had a couple of good trades, but his performance in Free Agency is abysmal. For a team that is under a self-imposed cap you just can't make mistakes to the degree that Wren has in FA.

I'm very disappointed in the Braves this season. They have the talent to be a top 4-5 team in MLB but they can't get it together to be there. 

I'll say that I haven't watched a ton this season but I question whether they really have the hitters.   There are a lot of borderline good hitters on this team and not a lot of solid contact hitters.   The spotlight hasn't been on these guys because Uggla and BJ's awfulness shied so brightly.  But there are plenty of other holes in the lineup when you start facing good pitching.

I'll say that I haven't watched a ton this season but I question whether they really have the hitters.   There are a lot of borderline good hitters on this team and not a lot of solid contact hitters.   The spotlight hasn't been on these guys because Uggla and BJ's awfulness shied so brightly.  But there are plenty of other holes in the lineup when you start facing good pitching.

Yup, but I wonder about accountability on the team. Recent comments make me wonder if Freddi hasn't lost the team. When you start making comments about "holding guys more accountable" and "guys don't take losing seriously" that is an indication of some fundamental leadership flaws. 

In terms of hitting. Hayward and the Uptons have a been a big disappointment. Justin is OK, but really streaky. Hayward just isn't a good hitter. Hate to say it but the evidence is just there. He just doesn't know how to shorten his swing to handle inside pitches and doesn't have a good command of the strike zone. Freeman has been down for whatever reasons. Andrelton was never expected to be a great hitter and he's showing that. The most consistent hitter is Gattis but he's our catcher. LaStella looks like he could be a productive .285-.300 hitter with about 15 HR every year. Not bad for 2B. 

Bottom line is once you miss on two major guys in the order your team is in very bad shape, especially when you don't have the finances to spend your way out of a mistake. 

• Moderators

Yup, but I wonder about accountability on the team. Recent comments make me wonder if Freddi hasn't lost the team. When you start making comments about "holding guys more accountable" and "guys don't take losing seriously" that is an indication of some fundamental leadership flaws. 

In terms of hitting. Hayward and the Uptons have a been a big disappointment. Justin is OK, but really streaky. Hayward just isn't a good hitter. Hate to say it but the evidence is just there. He just doesn't know how to shorten his swing to handle inside pitches and doesn't have a good command of the strike zone. Freeman has been down for whatever reasons. Andrelton was never expected to be a great hitter and he's showing that. The most consistent hitter is Gattis but he's our catcher. LaStella looks like he could be a productive .285-.300 hitter with about 15 HR every year. Not bad for 2B. 

Bottom line is once you miss on two major guys in the order your team is in very bad shape, especially when you don't have the finances to spend your way out of a mistake. 

I agree.  But even Gattis, Johnson, Justin are just decent hitters not championship hitters.   As much as I hate the Yankees, our hitting is so far away from real quality like that team with Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neil, Jeter etc.

• Moderators

I'm not  a Fredi fan at all and don't think we are developing our hitters very well.  As an organization, we seem to have some real issues.  I hope we take an intelligent approach to upgrading our infrastructure.  Paying money for the right scouts and GM is the best money you can spend.