• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jason Heyward: The Story of Braves Fan Hate

For the life of me I can't understand why Braves fans are so hard on Heyward. From the talk of laziness to his limited amount of homeruns this season, some fans have totally went nuclear. Even when the kid manufactures runs from pure hard nosed play and trickery he still gets the proverbial shaft.

I remember having a chat with a friend of mine a couple weeks ago about the Braves woes. Before I can speak my opinion, Heywards name went flying out of his mouth quicker than sneeze spit. Please pardon my graphic detail. But I was truly taken back.

Of all the problems the Braves have, how can Heyward be the issue? I guess he's a starting pitcher, relief pitcher, manager, BJ, and catcher. He has to be the entire team to get this much hate. Jeez! I doubt he's responsible for the large number of Tommy John re injuries by our starting pitchers. I doubt he's responsible for our bullpen and big money closer losing games in save situations. I doubt he's responsible for Chris Johnsons multiple double play hits with runners in scoring position. And I doubt he's responsible for Fredi Gonzalez's managing decisions.

I wonder why Freeman gets a pass after his horrible and inconsistent play since the allstar break? Why are Chris Johnson and Andrelton Simmons getting passes for leaving runners stranded? Please explain necause Heyward should be the last player catching flack.

Here's an interesting article I found..

http://tomahawktake.com/2014/08/08/atlanta-braves-analysis-jason-heywards-value/

• Moderators

Yes.  It's all expectations.   He seemed like a 5 tool guy but he has never really hit consistently.   But that's the Braves problem.  It's a roster full of suspect hitters.    But the Braves were counting on Freeman, J-Up, and Heyward and Gattis to big their big bats.   They are all just so-so which means we are an average team with above average pitching.   With some of the fan base disenfranchised by the stadium stuff it's a bad recipe for the Braves.

lol Prob not God. He was supposed to be just as good as Trout if not better. His defense has been very good. Rest of his game really hasn't shown much progress as many would hope. We can only hope he figure it out soon. Knowing our luck he won't put it together until he get to another team. He is going to want to still be payed on his potential rather then his production; he could have that breakout year next year and price himself out of the Braves price range.

At tne end of the day Heyward was supposed to be the new face of the franchise. Right up there with Aaron,Murph,Chipper etc. and he hasn't live up to the hype and expectations. Many seeing him as a failure and probably a sense of embarrassment for hyping him up have turn on him.

Edited by WraithSentinel

lol Prob not God. He was supposed to be just as good as Trout if not better. His defense has been very good. Rest of his game really hasn't shown much progress as many would hope. We can only hope he figure it out soon. Knowing our luck he won't put it together until he get to another team. He is going to want to still be payed on his potential rather then his production; he could have that breakout year next year and price himself out of the Braves price range.

At tne end of the day Heyward was supposed to be the new face of the franchise. Right up there with Aaron,Murph,Chipper etc. and he hasn't live up to the hype and expectations. Many seeing him as a failure and probably a sense of embarrassment for hyping him up have turn on him.

True but isn't that the expectation that all Braves fans put on these players. Look at what we did to Franceour, Schafer, Tommy Hanson, Jair Jurrjens, Beachy, and Medlen. We expect these kids to immediately fill in the shoes of Hall of Famers while dealing with the pressures of playing on a team with a strong championship tradition. No one on this team is close to Chipper Jones, Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, and Tom Glavine talent wise. Putting those pressures on 18/19 year old kids is absolutely ridiculous and unfair. No wonder why our young prospects are blowing out their elbows and struggling at the plate. Braves fans have to get real. Who shoes did Trout and Stanton have to step in? They don't have those pressures to deal with.

True but isn't that the expectation that all Braves fans put on these players. Look at what we did to Franceour, Schafer, Tommy Hanson, Jair Jurrjens, Beachy, and Medlen. We expect these kids to immediately fill in the shoes of Hall of Famers while dealing with the pressures of playing on a team with a strong championship tradition. No one on this team is close to Chipper Jones, Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, and Tom Glavine talent wise. Putting those pressures on 18/19 year old kids is absolutely ridiculous and unfair. No wonder why our young prospects are blowing out their elbows and struggling at the plate. Braves fans have to get real. Who shoes did Trout and Stanton have to step in? They don't have those pressures to deal with.

Expectations are placed on these young guys but it seems they are not being coached up to maximize that potential.

I honestly thought that this guy coming up would be a consistent .300/30hr/30sb/100rbi type of guy. He was supposed to be the heir to Chipper's throne when he was to retire. His rookie year was just fantastic, and it could've been even better if it wasn't for injury. Then he had a disappointing 2nd season, a bounce back 3rd season, a regressed 4th season, and now he's having an "ok" year. It's not bad, but it isn't what you'd think his potential would be. I'm still hoping for this guy to be an MVP canidate for the Braves. We need that type of player desperately, and based on potential alone, Jason Heyward should be the best player on this team. You pull for players like this to put it all together, somewhat similar to what Jose Bautista did when he got to Toronto. Never give up on this kid. 

Edited by ATLHawks3

• Moderators

People need to stop thinking he's Marvin Williams. I seldom watch baseball games but really, I always thought he was a decent player. Nothing out of this world, but not bad at all.

He is a step better than Marvin for sure.  He has been an All-Star and Marvin didn't even make All-Rookie first team.  

His problem is that his great batting eye hasn't translated into good contract/walk rates.  He has fallen into many of the same low BA, high K faults as our other players in recent years.  People expected so much of him that they are resentful that he hasn't met the expectations.  

If he will ever meet those expectations (or just take the next step) it will have to come from his approach at the plate.