• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do we think about this?

swolehawk2

NY Post

As the Knicks search other teams' rosters for potentially available shooting guards to play a backup role, one name sticks out - Atlanta's combo guard Jason Terry, about whom Layden had inquired last season.

Terry, who can't be dealt until Dec. 15 after the Hawks matched the Jazz' offer sheet in September, starts for Atlanta at point guard. But nobody considers him a true point.

Terry could fill the Knicks' need for a backup shooting guard and could play some minutes at PG, allowing turnover-prone Howard Eisley to sit.

The Knicks seem to have enough pawns to draw Atlanta's interest since the Hawks are getting new owners, are going nowhere this season, are looking to be under the cap in two years and are overpaying Terry.

Remember, Hawk GM Billy King dispatched Glenn Robinson in the Latrell Sprewell four-team deal to inherit the $11 million contract of retiring Terrell Brandon as a cost-cutting move that gives them future cap-room flexibility.

Atlanta will shed two big contracts from its cap the summer after this one - Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Theo Ratliff. Othella Harrington, being shopped, also has his deal up in two years. Frank Williams' rookie deal expires in two years. Michael Doleac's is up after this season, as is Charlie Ward's.

The Knicks insist they will not move their draft picks, Mike Sweetney and Maciej Lampe, whose contracts can be traded Dec. 15. But 7-foot-5 Slavko Vranes could intrigue a rebuilder.

Terry, who was signed to a three-year, $22 million package, is a bundle of talent, averaging 18.7 points on 45 percent shooting. But he's got his critics and probably is better suited for a smaller role.

Another shooting guard who becomes trade-eligible Dec. 15 on a smaller scale is Denver's reigning Western Conference Player of the Week, Voshon Lenard, but Layden has only spoken to the Nuggets about Rodney White.

• Premium Member

I call that Uninformed talk.

JT can't be traded... is a very realistic statement. He's BYC. That means that we would have to take back Half of what he's making.... That would require us to trade him to a team that is at least 4-6 million dollars under the cap. That certainly is NOT NY.

In fact, No team fits that bill. Utah does, but rules will not allow us to trade him to Utah? I heard Seattle may have cap room and LAC may have cap room, but I don't know for sure.

IF we could deal him to LAC... Dooling/Wilcox might be a good deal for us. I doubt that they would trade Jaric or QRich. However, if they feel that there will be another fight for QRich (Boston) like there was for Brand, maybe they might go for a JT for Qrich trade... Becuase I don't think Sterling is willing to pay much more than he's paying now.....!!!

• Premium Member

New Ownership has a deal but it's not official. I thought by Mid season, the owners would have met and made it offiicial but who knows?

One thing I do know, new owners will do either one or 2 things...

1. Gut the team... Start over fresh ala Denver. To end the Babcock era and give the city new faces to identify with.

or

2. Keep some of the old face... The more charismatic people who have been a fit in the community and build on what they already have.....

Diesel says...

If they are smart, they:

1. Bring in Nique/Fratello... or Nique/Doc to establish roots.

2. Not worry so much about Charisma but keep productive players... For instance. Keep Reef. He's productive, he's an Atlanta native.

3. Build.

Here's the other part.

If we build, we should do so with Focus. For instance, I wouldn't keep JT. He's got a good smile, But I would go after somebody who does more than talk and OLAY. Somebody who fits either Doc's or Fratello's personality. 2 Players in the league that Speaks Atlanta are:

Vince Carter, Lo Wright...

What would it take to get Vince... I mean, will Theo, Jax, Lottery first get us Vince?

IF so, do it...

What will it take to get us Lo Wright/Diaw... Will Nazr get us Right?

IF so, do it...

Trade JT. See if we can get QRich...

Now we have a team:

JV, Qrich, Vince, SAR, Lo Wright...

With that team, you have the people coming out to see Vince and QRich. YOu have the team winning because everything is taking care of... Lo Wright fits with the Community. JV is a decent enough PG to share the ball with everyone. IF Fratello is coaching, he'll get these guys to play defense.

There is nobody on this roster that Toronto would accept for Vince Carter. We don't even have a combination of players that they would want for Vinsanity.

I wouldn't want Lo Wright, because he is injury prone and his is also undersized to play center. His offensive game is also suspect.

Why would the Clippers trade QRich for JT? You guys know that JT is not a point, so why would they trade a bigger 2 for a guy that is not going to help their point guard situation? None of our big guys would help them, save for possibly Theo Ratliff. The Clippers seem to like that Kaman guy.

I wouldn't want anyone on the Knicks roster. Charlie Ward is garbage. Othella Harrington is garbage. McDyess is damaged goods. A. Houston makes too much money. They have nothing that the Hawks should want in return for JT.

Where is Emmanuel Davis? Is he still recovering form his torn Achilles? Davis was injured both seasons while he was here, but I liked his size and his ability to run the team. I think he was the perfect compliment to JT, because he was a big point guard, which allowed him to guard the opposing teams 2. He wasn't much of a shooter, but neither is E. Snow.

TROUBLEMAN

2. Not worry so much about Charisma but keep productive players... For instance. Keep Reef. He's productive, he's an Atlanta native."

Being an Atlanta native shouldn't be anything to be

proud of. But you can't keep guys because they are from

Atlanta...Very few people care that he's from Atlanta. That

means nothing. The guy isn't worth what he's getting paid.

Keeping him should require him taking a HUGE paycut. He's

worth about 7 a year.

Charisma does make a difference. Atlanta is a charisma

drivin city.....Reef is rather boring and does nothing exciting

out there. JT has charisma, but he can't really backup his

talk.....Sanders could talk the talk and walk the walk...JT

can't do it.

If the Hawks are smart they'll get rid of every player

making over 5 million if at all possible and start building

something. Reef/JT/Theo aren't championship caliber

players. In fact, it's not even a good core because Theo

simply isn't that good of a player. He's handycapped in

so many ways...His scoring, rebounding, one on one

defense. The little offensive game he had is GONE. Some

of you like to say he"improved" on offense the second

half of last year...But he averaged only 10PPG shooting

about 39%.

"IF so, do it...

Trade JT. See if we can get QRich..."

There is no reason for the Clippers to do this...NONE.

Marko is a better PG than JT, Q rich is a better defender

than JT....Q Rich is better than JT in just about every

way possible. I think he's even younger and he's just

so far ahead of JT on a talent level that it's not even

funny. The best you can get for JT is hopefully an ending

contract just so the team can forget about JT the mistake.

In reply to:

Ward is garbage, but his 6 million contract is only guaranteed for 2, so in a "gut the roster" mode, he'd be a good one to pick up.

Why should we gut the roster? Why should the Hawks trade for Charlie Ward, when he is not the answer to the Hawks problems. Has he helped the Knicks for the past couple of seasons? It doesn't matter that his contract is up in a couple of seasons, [censored] the Hawks will have plenty of money available by then. The Hawks need to make trades that will help them, and Charlie Ward is not the answer.

Another thing, the Hawks need to stop trading their picks away for veteran players, because this team is more than one player away from being contenders. Don't the Hawks have two 1st round picks in next years draft? Draft wisely and this thing will turn around.

I hear people say this team is built around Shareef and JT. Well it is not. Shareef is an undersized power forward, so how can you have an undersized center playing next to him? JT is really a two guard, so why do the Hawks keep bringing in shorter point guards? Dan Dickau will never start here. That was a wasted trade. I'm starting to like Boris Diaw, but I think the Hawks made a mistake when they didn't pick Josh Howard or Maciej Lampe. Lampe is 18 years old, with a huge upside.

TROUBLEMAN

• Premium Member

In reply to:

There is nobody on this roster that Toronto would accept for Vince Carter. We don't even have a combination of players that they would want for Vinsanity.

I wouldn't jump there so quickly... Vince is definitely an allstar... But If we got a top three pick and we put Theo/Jax with it, I think Toronto would think very hard about that sort of trade. Namely because (depending on who they want to draft) it makes a big difference in their ability to win.

What's easier...

AW, Vince, Rose, Marshall, Bosh...

Or

AW, Rose, Marshall Bosh, Theo with Jax, 1st rounder off the bench...

I guarantee you, that if you give Toronto Theo and they move Bosh to PF, they will have the strongest Defensive Frontline in the game.

In reply to:

Why would the Clippers trade QRich for JT? You guys know that JT is not a point, so why would they trade a bigger 2 for a guy that is not going to help their point guard situation?

Well, #1 because JT is a Scorer. I think he can easily average 18-20 ppg in LAC. #2, LAC's team is not built for a Pure PG. #3, JT/Jaric would make a pretty good backcourt because they can share the duty of running the offense. #4 and most importantly, Sterling is a cheap owner. He shocked the world by matching for Brand/Maggette and signing Drobjnak this past offseason. IF these Clippers don't make the playoffs, he will likely not spend a dime to match the money that Boston, Utah, Chicago, and Denver will throw at QRich... The point is that if we offer him JT... He get the same scoring potential. He get a player who matches his team's offensive character. He get a player who does all those things at a Bargain over the next 3 yrs. Remember, JT's contract is frontloaded. IN Sterling's thinking, he'd probably be more likely to spend the 5 million and get JT than spend 8 million to keep QRich.

In reply to:

I wouldn't want Lo Wright, because he is injury prone and his is also undersized to play center.

Nazr and Theo are injury prone too. Still, Where is this size chart that you keep referring to?? IF it's because he's not a 7 footer,, well there are only 5 legit 7 foot Cs starting in the NBA today... Shaq, Yao, Deke, Big Jake, Jason Collins... Most Cs today are converted PFs anyway...I mean, Indy who is the best team in the game has Jeff Foster as their starting C. Foster is 6'11, 242... Wright is 6'11, 240. Are those 2 pounds really making that much of a difference. When you look at REN side by side with Ratt, the difference is that REN plays 5 less mpg, but puts up 3.8 more ppg, the same no of rebounds and 2 less bpg. But thats it.

Well, #1 because JT is a Scorer. I think he can easily average 18-20 ppg in LAC. #2,"

Whoope...Q can average 18PPG too...and play better defense

while doing it.

"LAC's team is not built for a Pure PG. #3, JT/Jaric would make a pretty good backcourt because they can share the duty of running the offense."

Jt can't run the offense PERIOD.

Well, if they didn't want Rich they'd probably take a pick

and a ending contract instead of a worthless stat player.

They'd probably rather take an ending contract and go with:

Marko/Magette/Ely/Brand/Kaman

Nobody wants JT...Because he's no worth having. He's a

stat player that should be coming off the bench.

• Premium Member

That's funny.

The offer I would make is JT/1st (Philly) for Qrich.

I betcha, theyd take it because of the reasons I have already outline.

Funny is that you put Former C (Ely) in at SF???

I think that more likely and more to Dunleavy's liking is:

JT, Jaric, Maggette, Brand, Drobjnak (Kaman)...

Lately Kaman has been very impressive.

Dunleavy would love that lineup. It gives him the same kind of deal that he had in PTL and Milwaukee... A SG who can run the offense. (DA-Portland).

JT is very cheap and when he hits the trading blocks, there will be lots of offers. NY has wanted JT for a while now... And so have some other teams.

I betcha, theyd take it because of the reasons I have already outline."

I betcha that you'd be wrong. They'd rather deal Q for an

ending contract.....

" A SG who can run the offense. (DA-Portland). "

JT can run the offense in LA but not here? lol

How often must you hypocrite yourself? Here he's

an undersized SG with no vision, but there he's a

SG that can run the offense.lol

"Funny is that you put Former C (Ely) in at SF??? "

I mean't Chris Wilcox....

[censored], they could play Eddie House for 38MPG and they'd

have JT.

"there will be lots of offers. NY has wanted JT for a while now..."

Yeah, like JT had lots of offers in the offseason.lol

New York post means nothing......Everybody disregrads

what they say anyway...

• Premium Member

First off you none reading Joker... Read again.

I never said JT was going to be that SG who can run the offense. That's Jaric.

And Ludicris is not a rapper, it's Wilcox or Ely in the starting lineup at Sf.

You still can't provide a legit reason for this trade to

go down...All you can say is that JT has a cheaper contract

that Q is probably going to want.

1)There probably will not be but a million or two in

difference...It seems to me that if they didn't want to

offer Q a big contract they'd trade him for an ending

contract or just let him go like they did Dre.

It doesn't matter what Dunleavy would like. He's just

the coach.

1) Jt's no the better player

2)He's not going to be a whole lot cheaper than Q

3)It makes no sense defense wise

4)It doesn't improve the Clippers passing