• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bill Duffy and Wayne Embry support Ferry. "He's not a racist"

Admin

Not sure if this was posted so if it was, my apologies, but I thought it needed to be seen in case some haven't. This seems to go against the mob who want to see Ferry fired for being a racist.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/9/10/6130719/danny-ferry-support-atlanta-hawks-NBA

Danny Ferry is still employed as the general manager of the Atlanta Hawks (at least for now), and while much of the reaction to that revelation from CEO Steve Koonin was on the negative side, Ferry has garnered support from multiple people that could be considered prominent in NBA circles.In a report from Brian Windhorst of ESPN, both former NBA GM Wayne Embry and current NBA agent Bill Duffy were quoted in defense of Ferry's character, and here is what they had to say:

Embry (who was the NBA's first African-American general manager):

"I've observed Danny Ferry and his family for many years and I can say Danny Ferry is not a racist. I don't know all the circumstances, but in the capacity of a president or general manager, you have to do your due diligence on players. It is a responsible way to act."

Duffy:

"I know Danny very well and we've always had high-quality interactions. He's been involved in pro basketball his entire life and I've been shown nothing but respect in my dealings with him. He's always been of good character and I have admired him over the years."

• Moderators

The fun linkage from yesterday's news: Duffy's most famous client was (until 2009) Carmelo Anthony, who got a nice whiff of what Ferry says about him behind closed doors, too.

http://hoopshype.com/agents/bill_duffy.htm

Quite a few of Duffy's highest-salaried players in his stead become free agents or opt-outs in 2015: Rondo, Nash (please retire, Steve), Tayshaun (no comment), Goran, Amir, Chuckwagon, Budinger, Danny Green, etc. No way is Duffy going to sit back and watch one of his most reliable 2015 money fountains possibly implode without a fight. I can't blame him, either.

Embry is our first Af-Am GM, and knows all the sausage-making that goes on behind the scenes when it comes to player personnel decisions. He's also a Cavs Guy, or was, anyway, two GMs removed from Ferry. So it's no doubt this was one of the first guys Ferry got on the horn to help a brutha out. Also, coincidentally, Embry starred on the Bucks and won a title behind a fellow then-named Lew Alcindor. Kareem became one of the other ex-players quick to provide his support, and it wouldn't surprise me if Embry is the guy who egged him on.

~lw3

as does Charles Barkley.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=87&c=9961&f=3320433

The Ferry segment begins just after the 8 minute mark.

Wow listening to it now, I can't believe what Paul George said about Ray Rice! I just lost all respect for this guy. 

If you in a relationship and a woman hit you first and attacking YOU.. Then you obviously ain't beatin HER. Homie made A bad choice!#StayUp— 

Paul George (@Yg_Trece) September 11, 2014

... haven't gotten to the Ferry part yet. 

Who???

Prominent Black members of the NBA, in some form or fashion. 

Wow listening to it now, I can't believe what Paul George said about Ray Rice! I just lost all respect for this guy. 

What an idiot.  He's since deleted those tweets and apologized.  2014 can't end quickly enough for him.  So much promise after last year but this year has really kicked his tail.

Back on topic, I'm a broken record on this but racist/non-racist doesn't matter.  That's not the point anymore.

So Charles gives Danny a pass, loves Koonin (his boss at Turner for 15 years) and the direction of the Hawks but hates our owners. He says this WILL NOT impact free agents and that players aren't this sensitive. Says players talk trash about each other and say bad things. Referenced arbitration in baseball and how teams trash players and then the player signs with them. 

Barkley not offended by what Leveson said, though he wishes he had used different words. He says there's a big difference between referencing race and being racist or making a racist comment. 

• Like 1

What an idiot.  He's since deleted those tweets and apologized.  2014 can't end quickly enough for him.  So much promise after last year but this year has really kicked his tail.

Back on topic, I'm a broken record on this but racist/non-racist doesn't matter.  That's not the point anymore.

Yeah he apologized once Bird and the Pacers got on him. Man that kid has really fallen from grace.

Yeah he apologized once Bird and the Pacers got on him. Man that kid has really fallen from grace.

What player was it that said, after he won Finals MVP, Kawhii Leonard couldn't measure up to Paul George?  Was it Durant?

Bet he'd like to take a re-vote on that comment.  "Uh, my mind was hacked ..."

• Moderators

Good to hear this on Ferry.  If he is going to survive, he will need a steady stream of people speaking up for him -- especially African-Americans.  

I am a little surprised that Coach K hasn't weighed in, although he may feel like he can't if Deng is highly upset.

It is both interesting and inspiring how different black people are viewing this issue.  There is not a lock step opinion and that to me means that our collective has truly become diversified.  Although I don't agree with these gentlemen, I am glad that they have been afforded the opportunity to see this differently than I.  There was a time when blacks only knew one reality.

• Moderators

Good to hear this on Ferry.  If he is going to survive, he will need a steady stream of people speaking up for him -- especially African-Americans.  

I am a little surprised that Coach K hasn't weighed in, although he may feel like he can't if Deng is highly upset.

Coach K punted on it yesterday. No way is he touching that third rail, especially not amid the FIBA World Cup.

~lw3

• Like 1

It is both interesting and inspiring how different black people are viewing this issue.  There is not a lock step opinion and that to me means that our collective has truly become diversified.  Although I don't agree with these gentlemen, I am glad that they have been afforded the opportunity to see this differently than I.  There was a time when blacks only knew one reality.

You don't agree with them? Does that mean that you believe Ferry is a racist and/or should be fired? 

Not saying that you have to agree with them or how you should feel, just trying to get a better understanding for that point you made.

• Moderators

Coach K punted on it yesterday. No way is he touching that third rail, especially not amid the FIBA World Cup.

~lw3

I imagine it went something like this...

"I'd be happy to field that question.  Wait...ohhhh...my back!!  I will need to let my assistant go on the record on this one.  Please excuse me."

• Moderators

Now, beyond the old fogies, what Ferry could use is a few active players he's helped out in the past to stick their necks out for him. (That's NBA players, Osi, you simmer down over there.) Somebody who could care less about the backlash so long as they spell his name right in the papers. Mo Williams comes immediately to mind.

~lw3

• Like 1

You don't agree with them? Does that mean that you believe Ferry is a racist and/or should be fired? 

Not saying that you have to agree with them or how you should feel, just trying to get a better understanding for that point you made.

I don't agree that you absolve Ferry of his words being "racial" and damaging because of what he has done previously.  They can afford to give Ferry the benefit of the doubt because A) they know him personally, B) really don't have to fear institutional or personal racism because they are rich and successful.   Charles Barkley, were he to become a season ticket holder is not whom Bruce Levenson was talking about.  And when Barkley played he was of the elite level that, even though he did not carry himself with close the dignity that Loul has, he did not have to fear corporate racism affecting his ability to earn a living.   

Personally, I can't say what Ferry is.  I doubt I ever will be.  What I can say is that I have been blessed enough to know several white people who would never under any circumstances repeat or speak that sort of thing.  They are above reproach because they would never do it.   Ferry can't say that anymore.   I doubt he is a card carrying clan member, but those are not  the dangerous racist.  Its the ones who fool everybody into thinking they aren't who are the dangerous racist.   Just one humble guys thoughts.  Worth nothing I'm sure.  

• Like 1

as does Charles Barkley.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=87&c=9961&f=3320433

The Ferry segment begins just after the 8 minute mark.

Now, beyond the old fogies, what Ferry could use is a few active players he's helped out in the past to stick their necks out for him. (That's NBA players, Osi, you simmer down over there.) Somebody who could care less about the backlash so long as they spell his name right in the papers. Mo Williams comes immediately to mind.

~lw3

I find it very interesting that I haven't heard, seen, read any quotes from active/current NBA Players on this matter.  

What does it mean?  

... haven't gotten to the Ferry part yet. 

Prominent Black members of the NBA, in some form or fashion. 

I dont think PG was condoning it, its just the way the media and their zombie drones are taking up the case of DV - they basically are defining it as an issue with men  brutalizing  women - which it often is, but the reality is that women are just as likely to be abusive as well.  The other issue I had is the way it was handled - we knew sinse Feb . that he knocked her out - the police have investigated and  dealt with Rice, the Ravens dealt with Rice, the NFL dealt with Rice.  Exactly what more did seeing the video add that we didnt already know?? Both were probably drunk and both were engaged in bad behavior - Did Rice react to what was happening or did he administer an beatdown ?? Bad situation all around...

• Moderators

I find it very interesting that I haven't heard, seen, read any quotes from active/current NBA Players on this matter.  

What does it mean?  

From the owners and/or through the union, NBA players have been ordered to hush.gif  until the dust clears up a little.

Nobody wants to risk going into the season as either the "Golly gee, Ferry/Levenson has some valid points" guy, or the "I'm not playing until they're all gone! Who's with me? Anybody? Buehler?" guy.

Just among the Hawks alone, they've been stunned into literal social media silence, and they're among the biggest random Tweeters out there. It takes a LOT to get Mike Scott to shut his Twitter down. I just imagine him running around town scribbling stuff on bathroom walls.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1

I don't agree that you absolve Ferry of his words being "racial" and damaging because of what he has done previously. They can afford to give Ferry the benefit of the doubt because A) they know him personally, B) really don't have to fear institutional or personal racism because they are rich and successful. Charles Barkley, were he to become a season ticket holder is not whom Bruce Levenson was talking about. And when Barkley played he was of the elite level that, even though he did not carry himself with close the dignity that Loul has, he did not have to fear corporate racism affecting his ability to earn a living.

Personally, I can't say what Ferry is. I doubt I ever will be. What I can say is that I have been blessed enough to know several white people who would never under any circumstances repeat or speak that sort of thing. They are above reproach because they would never do it. Ferry can't say that anymore. I doubt he is a card carrying clan member, but those are not the dangerous racist. Its the ones who fool everybody into thinking they aren't who are the dangerous racist. Just one humble guys say thoughts. Worth nothing I'm sure.

Not at all worth nothing, I certainly appreciate the time you took to express your thoughts and I can assure you that as a white guy who grew up mostly with black friends that I'd never say the things that Ferry said. Not only because it's wrong and I don't care for stereotyping people like that but also because what he said was hella confusing. I certainly agree it's the hidden racists who are the most dangerous.