Julio or AJ Green coming up on Playbook on NFL Network

Admin

Marino's final game, a playoff game vs Jacksonville and they smoked us. I think it was 62-7 or something like that. Jimmy Johnson was intentionally trying to force Marino to retire so that he could have "his guy" at QB.

Oh shoot it was the Fins...yikes. I remember now because the previous game I was in Vegas and actually made a bet that the Seahawks would beat the Fins...I lost :-( Not sure what I was thinking because I don't remember Seattle being any good back then, but maybe they were.

Calvin simply hasn't affected winning enough for my tastes. All World receivers have to, Rice being the Standard Bearer. Even arguably the next two greatest modern receivers, as silly and stupid as they might have been in Moss and Owens, had ridiculous strings of helping lead their teams to the playoffs, regarless of coach, QB, or scheme.

Julio and AJ are well on their way to enjoying much more winning than CJ has. As their teams unquestioned best player and arguabe Top Captian, I'm not impressed with gaudy numbers while your team hasnt had any sustained success in your career.

Just curious, what is the Lions record without CJ? We all saw how important Julio is to the Falcons as soon as he went down.

Well Calvin has only missed like a handful of games..prolly like 5 or so I'd guess since the start of his career. So it might not be a good sample size but I have a feeling we would be in deep doo doo without him. Lol.

Calvin is targeted more than any receiver in the league year in year out. No his fault but that does help get those gaudy numbers. The last full year they both played in 2012 Calvin had 205 targets to Julio's 129....that's almost another year of targets for Calvin. Now 2013 with roddy not taking targets away from him he was on pace to break that record set by Calvin. There is nothing Calvin does that Julio can't do...Julio consistently beats doubles just like Calvin. He takes over games just like Calvin. Makes amazing catches just like Calvin. Calvin's numbers are better but that's not a separation in talent as much as it is in team philosophy.

• Like 1

Calvin simply hasn't affected winning enough for my tastes. All World receivers have to, Rice being the Standard Bearer. Even arguably the next two greatest modern receivers, as silly and stupid as they might have been in Moss and Owens, had ridiculous strings of helping lead their teams to the playoffs, regarless of coach, QB, or scheme.

Julio and AJ are well on their way to enjoying much more winning than CJ has. As their teams unquestioned best player and arguabe Top Captian, I'm not impressed with gaudy numbers while your team hasnt had any sustained success in your career.

Just curious, what is the Lions record without CJ? We all saw how important Julio is to the Falcons as soon as he went down.

What has AJ done? Have the Bengals even been out of the 1st round with him? And TO and Moss? They played on some of the best teams and offenses of their generations. 

Calvin is playing on a team who's QB is perpetually injured and they've had absolute turds for coaches with no ideas how to put up points. 

Just not sure I can buy any sort of argument about a WR lifting his team though. Only a QB is going to be able to do that consistently.

Calvin is targeted more than any receiver in the league year in year out. No his fault but that does help get those gaudy numbers. The last full year they both played in 2012 Calvin had 205 targets to Julio's 129....that's almost another year of targets for Calvin. Now 2013 with roddy not taking targets away from him he was on pace to break that record set by Calvin. There is nothing Calvin does that Julio can't do...Julio consistently beats doubles just like Calvin. He takes over games just like Calvin. Makes amazing catches just like Calvin. Calvin's numbers are better but that's not a separation in talent as much as it is in team philosophy.

Haha ohhhkaay ...so if I look at ft% in the nba and Chris Anderson is 4-4 would that make him better than say a Stephen Curry who is 376-400? The reason Julio doesn't get targeted as much is because he can't handle the work load..that's the truth.

Haha ohhhkaay ...so if I look at ft% in the nba and Chris Anderson is 4-4 would that make him better than say a Stephen Curry who is 376-400? The reason Julio doesn't get targeted as much is because he can't handle the work load..that's the truth.

I was almost tempted to just not respond bc I'm not sure if you're serious?!?!? He wasn't targeted as much bc he can't handle the workload? So roddy white and tony Gonzalez taking targets away from him had nothing tondo with it? Got ya.

Bc that's just like kris Duram, Brandon pettigrew and Titus young taking targets from Calvin.....YEP!!!!

Julio doesn't get targeted as much is because he can't handle the work load..that's the truth.

Say whaaat? shok.gif - Not getting into the debate about who's better but Roddy and Tony G  might be why Julio doesn't get as many targets? Jusy saying.

And Matt Ryan does love to spread the ball around.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I was almost tempted to just not respond bc I'm not sure if you're serious?!?!? He wasn't targeted as much bc he can't handle the workload? So roddy white and tony Gonzalez taking targets away from him had nothing tondo with it? Got ya.

Bc that's just like kris Duram, Brandon pettigrew and Titus young taking targets from Calvin.....YEP!!!!

This just in...Tony Gonzales retired. You prolly woulda been wise to not respond..lol

Say whaaat? shok.gif - Not getting into the debate about who's better but Roddy and Tony G might be why Julio doesn't get as many targets? Jusy saying.

And Matt Ryan does love to spread the ball around.

Jay, Tony G. retired...:-(

-Bearer of bad news

Did you miss the part where I said 2012? Are you just trolling this conversation now or what?

Did you miss the part where I said 2012? Are you just trolling this conversation now or what?

Actually yes I did. I'm not trolling. I totally understand that Julio had a great game on Monday but I just think Falcon fans are getting a tad too excited. It's a long season. We can debate and compare numbers in 2012, 2013 or any other year, but honestly there should be no debate. And to say that Julio will be BETTER than Calvin in 3 years, makes me think you are trolling a tad urself. Again I totally understand rooting for ur guy but this is ridiculous.

This has nothing to do with this last game....I felt this way going into the season. I've given a number of reasons as to why I feel this way and all you all have come back with is "Calvin makes catches in triple coverage"....if this is the criteria that we're basing this on then y'all win.

But let me give you something else to help bolster my point. Last 3 years (not counting Julio's rookie year) Julio has caught a higher percentage of the balls thrown at him as well as having a much lower drop percentage than Calvin. Meaning he has better hands.

When given the same amount of targets he has shown to be just as productive as Calvin. If you actually have something to say besides it's just ridiculous to compare the 2 I'd like to hear it.

Ok so Calvin has played 108 career games in 7+ seasons and Julio has played 37+ games in 3+seasons. 9575 yards total for Calvin, 3102 yards total for Julio. That is 6,473 more yards for Calvin in 4 more seasons that Julio. So in order for Julio to reach Calvin's numbers at this stage of his career, Julio will have to gain an average of 1,618 yards per season for the next 4 seasons. Julio's career high in yards thus far in his career is 1,198. I will bet anything that Julio will not tally these numbers in the next 4 years. No way.

I really think we should shift the debate to aj green vs Julio Jones or Cordarelle vs Julio..it's just not very smart to compare Julio and Calvin.

Edited by Spud2Nique

Why do you keep comparing stats? I already said Julio's numbers so far won't match Calvin's and gave the reasons why. This about ability.

Why do you keep comparing stats? I already said Julio's numbers so far won't match Calvin's and gave the reasons why. This about ability.

Ability is subjective. Especially so among those who are biased, such as you two.

The unbiased nearly unanimously agree Megatron is the most complete and dominating WR ever.

I know you say that you don't disagree that Calvin is better and that's a good first step. My only point now is that Calvin is alone at the top then you've got a bunch of guys at #2 in a battle but that's a tier below. That's not a bad thing though as Calvin is just a freak. There may never be another WR like him.

• Like 1

Ok, let's revisit this at the end of the season....not a big enough sample size yet to make my point but it will be clearer later on.

You wanted me to compare the two in this ongoing debate(if you want to call it one) by saying more than "it's ridiculous to compare them". So I go ahead and do that with stats(the only way to do so) and now you don't want stats?

What would you like then? Lol. The criteria for this debate keeps changing with you. Next you'll want me to compare the two through a rap song but I am omitted to use the words bigger, better, faster, stronger...oh and prolly Calvin...I'm gonna need some time

Why do you keep comparing stats? I already said Julio's numbers so far won't match Calvin's

So far won't match? That's why I gave you stats. To show you that they won't match even 4 years from now.

Ok, let's revisit this at the end of the season....not a big enough sample size yet to make my point but it will be clearer later on.

Actually I honestly think you have a better case with a smaller sample size. Julio has done better coming out of the gates thus far. I'd take the money and run.