• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Am I over-reacting?

Ruckus

In a city that has so many professional women, I don't understand why they don't try to have a night ( or even a ticket package ) that targets exclusively that demographic for certain games.   A lot of those women make 5 and 6 figures around metro Atlanta.   And they have disposable income everywhere.  And the front office is too worried about another demographic that, for the most part, is apathetic not only toward the NBA, but toward the Hawks as well.

Target those women, and maybe they'll bring their kids and/or girlfriends to the game.  It's just a fail on all levels.  I'd love to see the makeup of their marketing team, and what they do to target people around Atlanta.

I've gotten a few calls myself from ticket reps telling me about upcoming games.  No offense to my fellow man, but if you want to sell something to a man, how about getting a female with a real sexy and soothing voice to try to sell it to me?   I may be quick to hang up on "Zack" trying to sell me tickets . . . but I might listen to "April" with a sexy voice and an enthusiastic attitude.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

In a city that has so many professional women, I don't understand why they don't try to have a night ( or even a ticket package ) that targets exclusively that demographic for certain games. A lot of those women make 5 and 6 figures around metro Atlanta. And they have disposable income everywhere. And the front office is too worried about another demographic that, for the most part, is apathetic not only toward the NBA, but toward the Hawks as well.

Target those women, and maybe they'll bring their kids and/or girlfriends to the game. It's just a fail on all levels. I'd love to see the makeup of their marketing team, and what they do to target people around Atlanta.

I've gotten a few calls myself from ticket reps telling me about upcoming games. No offense to my fellow man, but if you want to sell something to a man, how about getting a female with a real sexy and soothing voice to try to sell it to me? I may be quick to hang up on "Zack" trying to sell me tickets . . . but I might listen to "April" with a sexy voice and an enthusiastic attitude.

Yep, I concur.

In a city that has so many professional women, I don't understand why they don't try to have a night ( or even a ticket package ) that targets exclusively that demographic for certain games.   A lot of those women make 5 and 6 figures around metro Atlanta.   And they have disposable income everywhere.  And the front office is too worried about another demographic that, for the most part, is apathetic not only toward the NBA, but toward the Hawks as well.

Target those women, and maybe they'll bring their kids and/or girlfriends to the game.  It's just a fail on all levels.  I'd love to see the makeup of their marketing team, and what they do to target people around Atlanta.

I've gotten a few calls myself from ticket reps telling me about upcoming games.  No offense to my fellow man, but if you want to sell something to a man, how about getting a female with a real sexy and soothing voice to try to sell it to me?   I may be quick to hang up on "Zack" trying to sell me tickets . . . but I might listen to "April" with a sexy voice and an enthusiastic attitude.

You raise a good point in regards to the makeup of their marketing team.  Black/white/man/woman, I think one thing is clear and it's that the team is made up of a bunch of folks who are simply not getting it done.  Without giving it much thought you've pretty much lapped anything they've come out with in the last 10 years.

If they had "Ladies Night" at Philips you don't think that'd draw a crowd?  If they have had it no one knows about it so, again, ineffective marketing.

Also, lol @ "Zack" trying to sell you tickets with his 10-pack-a-day smoker voice.

..unless it was this Zack 

zack_wink.gif

'cause then you'd buy about 10 tickets and a timeshare on Mr. Carosi's Malibu Sands Resort.  

Koonin gotta fix the marketing efforts.

Any season ticket holders on the Squawk who has his email?

Tell him to check out the Squawk and we wanna have a chat with him.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

You raise a good point in regards to the makeup of their marketing team.  Black/white/man/woman, I think one thing is clear and it's that the team is made up of a bunch of folks who are simply not getting it done.  Without giving it much thought you've pretty much lapped anything they've come out with in the last 10 years.

If they had "Ladies Night" at Philips you don't think that'd draw a crowd?  If they have had it no one knows about it so, again, ineffective marketing.

Also, lol @ "Zack" trying to sell you tickets with his 10-pack-a-day smoker voice.

..unless it was this Zack 

zack_wink.gif

'cause then you'd buy about 10 tickets and a timeshare on Mr. Carosi's Malibu Sands Resort.

He'd have to throw in the 1994 version of her ... then I'd make a deal

http://i.imgbox.com/adq2pcv6.jpg

Not the 2014 version though. Something has happened to her over the years.

It sucks but I'd bet you anything the numbers back up their marketing strategy. The vast majority of fans who come out to Hawjs games are either casual Hawks fans who come out to star games or they're bandwagon or star chasers who show up on those nights to cheer for the other team. Sad state of affairs but it's true.

Doesn't make their marketing any easier to swallow though.

This.

Also it sounds like something University of TN would do.

This.

Also it sounds like something University of TN would do.

Man please. As an Advertising major from UT, I know for a fact that we were taught the basics of Marketing and how to use a wide array of media, focus groups, and concrete data to formulate an effective ad campaign and/or marketing strategy .. including proper branding of your business/product/company.

I don't know if he's still there, but Dr. Haley taught us well in the 90s.

LOL @ selling Alabama gear at the UT Campus Bookstore ... or saying that they needed less hip hop at UT games ... when the student body goes absolutely crazy when Lil Jon's "Turn Down For What" comes on.

No no no ... Our football team may be struggling, but we know the basics of Marketing.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Moderators

I agree on Ladies' night. I'd add to make it $30 lower-bowl tickets, discount drinks from RED, and free commemorative t-shirts (women LOVE telling the world they had a ladies-only night) to boot.  So much opportunity and the Hawks just keep failing.  I imagine their marketing team is nothing but a pack of yes men appeasing a marketing manager that doesn't know ass about running a business.  And I think it's stupid to make calls about upcoming Hawks games too... Most people make plans weekend to weekend.  If they haven't planned in a Hawks game that weekend or the next, then they aren't going!  Another point, you want to tell the people about upcoming Hawks games?  Then make commercials!  Put ads in the sports section of newspapers!  Put up billboards!  People HATE being bothered at home and work... This is nothing but telemarketing, which people also HATE!  STOP FAILING HAWKS. lmfao & smdh...

• Like 1

Man please. As an Advertising major from UT, I know for a fact that we were taught the basics of Marketing and how to use a wide array of media, focus groups, and concrete data to formulate an effective ad campaign and/or marketing strategy .. including proper branding of your business/product/company.

I don't know if he's still there, but Dr. Haley taught us well in the 90s.

LOL @ selling Alabama gear at the UT Campus Bookstore ... or saying that they needed less hip hop at UT games ... when the student body goes absolutely crazy when Lil Jon's "Turn Down For What" comes on.

No no no ... Our football team may be struggling, but we know the basics of Marketing.

Tennessee used to sell Kentucky gear at TBA in the 90s.

Tennessee used to sell Kentucky gear at TBA in the 90s.

I was there from 1991 - 95.

The university itself ( to my knowledge ) wasn't doing that. From what I can remember about Thompson-Bowling Arena, independent vendors used to sell merchandise at tables around the concourse of the arena. The stuff I saw was all UT merchandise.

But we all know that Kentucky travels well, and for those early 90s games in Knoxville, 1/2 of the arena would be Blue.

So if you saw vendors selling UK stuff during that era, it would be hard for me to doubt that, even if I didn't see it.

The university itself ( to my knowledge ) wasn't doing that. From what I can remember about Thompson-Bowling Arena, independent vendors used to sell merchandise at tables around the concourse of the arena. The stuff I saw was all UT merchandise.

But we all know that Kentucky travels well, and for those early 90s games in Knoxville, 1/2 of the arena would be Blue.

So if you saw vendors selling UK stuff during that era, it would be hard for me to doubt that, even if I didn't see it.

I can assure you it happened.

But this is also the same Athletic Dept that tweets about a record number of concessions being sold the day after getting hammered on National TV.

But that's the kind of stuff that happens when you strictly hire from outside the University and bring in people w/out a clue.

This conversation belongs on Volquest or something.

Edited by JaJuan

I can assure you it happened.

But this is also the same Athletic Dept that tweets about a record number of concessions being sold the day after getting hammered on National TV.

But that's the kind of stuff that happens when you strictly hire from outside the University and bring in people w/out a clue.

This conversation belongs on Volquest or something.

LOL ... now that's true.

• Like 1

I think we need to come up with our Hawksquawk list of Marketing ideas and send it to Koonin:

1. Like @PSSSHHHRRR87 siad - a Ladies night

2. Place pairs of tickets around Atlanta for various games and tweet the location for people to find (although I don't twitter so that'll suck).

3. Family packs

It's funny to me. All one has to do is look at what Arthur Blank did with the Falcons over the last dozen years. I remember in his first year, he knocked down ticket prices to $10 a game in the upper deck ($100 season tickets) so they can sell out. When asked why, he stated that once the fans see the product he's trying to put forth live rather than from snippets from Sportscenter, they'll 1) come back, 2) bring others, and 3) be willing to spend more $$$ than they originally did. He hit on all three predictions, bullseye on the mark.

Say what you want about them not winning the Super Bowl (as well as the lack of a pass rush) but they've played in two more conference title games since Blank took over than the Atlanta Hawks ever have. Win or lose, fans know where Blank's heart is when it comes to the results on the field and they respond in kind with a sold-out Georgia Dome whenever the Falcons are in town. I could not imagine the look on Blank's face if he ever saw Drew Brees or Cam Newton jerseys being sold in the Dome during a home game.

If the Hawks truly want local fans to care and take notice of their franchise, they have to invest in a like manner to how Blank did it. Lower ticket prices in the upper deck to where it's sold out on nights when the Bucks or Pistons are in town. Make going to the game an event that you'd pay to see live rather than on your couch or not at all. And for the love of God, put together a front office where everyone there knows what they're doing. So simple...

• Like 2

I was also there during that time and I never EVER saw that at Thompson-Boling much less Neyland. The only time I saw a large group of visiting fans was when Kentucky's basketball team came into town or Alabama's football team. Even then, no one was dumb enough to sell their gear anywhere near the arena or UC without risking a beating no human should ever have to endure...

It's funny to me. All one has to do is look at what Arthur Blank did with the Falcons over the last dozen years. I remember in his first year, he knocked down ticket prices to $10 a game in the upper deck ($100 season tickets) so they can sell out. When asked why, he stated that once the fans see the product he's trying to put forth live rather than from snippets from Sportscenter, they'll 1) come back, 2) bring others, and 3) be willing to spend more $$$ than they originally did. He hit on all three predictions, bullseye on the mark.

Say what you want about them not winning the Super Bowl (as well as the lack of a pass rush) but they've played in two more conference title games since Blank took over than the Atlanta Hawks ever have. Win or lose, fans know where Blank's heart is when it comes to the results on the field and they respond in kind with a sold-out Georgia Dome whenever the Falcons are in town. I could not imagine the look on Blank's face if he ever saw Drew Brees or Cam Newton jerseys being sold in the Dome during a home game.

If the Hawks truly want local fans to care and take notice of their franchise, they have to invest in a like manner to how Blank did it. Lower ticket prices in the upper deck to where it's sold out on nights when the Bucks or Pistons are in town. Make going to the game an event that you'd pay to see live rather than on your couch or not at all. And for the love of God, put together a front office where everyone there knows what they're doing. So simple...

Yes, yes, and yes.

Who'd be the movie star fronting our commercials like Sam Jack and what's the Slogan?

Good question, Jay. I'd go with whatever celebrity are Hawk fans to begin with. The reason the 'Rise Up' campaign works so well with Samuel L. Jackson is because he was attending Falcon games back when they played at AFCS (I think he was a vendor or something) and his commercials come across as genuine and not just collecting a check. I wish there was a longtime Hawks fan who was a celebrity or well known person who could generate that kind of raw emotion during a market campaign. And they need a slogan or a commercial campaign that doesn't come across as gimmicky as their previous ones have. You're the ad genius, North; what you got???  

Good question, Jay. I'd go with whatever celebrity are Hawk fans to begin with. The reason the 'Rise Up' campaign works so well with Samuel L. Jackson is because he was attending Falcon games back when they played at AFCS (I think he was a vendor or something) and his commercials come across as genuine and not just collecting a check. I wish there was a longtime Hawks fan who was a celebrity or well known person who could generate that kind of raw emotion during a market campaign. And they need a slogan or a commercial campaign that doesn't come across as gimmicky as their previous ones have. You're the ad genius, North; what you got???

aaahh - ok.

Who is that passionate celebrity Hawk fan - I've seen Boris Cudjoe and Chris Tucker at games I've been to (and these weren't star gazer games). But are they passionate about the Hawks?