• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's early but... Is Bud a better coach than Pop?

Admin

Until Bud at least has an opportunity to have a meltdown in a Game 6 Final, call a bad timeout, etc - I'm taking Pop.

Just last season we were questioning Bud's end of game coaching.

I'm excited to have Bud and the possibilities that lay ahead but let's not go overboard.

As I mentioned a couple posts ago, how would Pop have this current Hawks squad? Would they be better than we are now? I truly don't think so. 

Nice find JayBird. I'm curious who's decision it was to make them an uptempo team 5 or so years ago. I remember them just running folks out of games, which was a huge change from their deliberate and slow play the years before that.

I read where Pop said that seeing Tony's play for France at some international tourny where he was playing like we see now (think France win). Pop told him he needed him to be THAT guy. TP was lije what about Timmy? Pop was like no worries.

I guess it's similar to when he told Kawhi forget TD, TP and Manu in last years final.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

As I mentioned a couple posts ago, how would Pop have this current Hawks squad? Would they be better than we are now? I truly don't think so. 

Pop in the east? I'd say even better.The whole media and basketball pundits would be calling this team a championship team. 

I read where Pop said that seeing Tony's play for France at some international tourny where he was playing like we see now (think France win). Pop told him he needed him to be THAT guy. TP was lije what about Timmy? Pop was like no worries.

I guess it's similar to when he told Kawhi forget TD, TP and Manu in last years final.

Pop going to Pop. 

You really are a Spurs superfan lol

Pop in the east? I'd say even better.The whole media and basketball pundits would be calling this team a championship team. 

That's just speculation though. Pop has never won without having Hall of Fame players on his roster. 

You really are a Spurs superfan lol

That's just speculation though. Pop has never won without having Hall of Fame players on his roster.

I do agree with @Spurs that if we had Pop with this record the media wouldnt be so skeptical.

That doesn't answer your question if Pop would have us at this record though.

Hard to say: this older version of Pop may not have the patience to deal with teaching an entire team the offense, would he have started Dennis last season ala TP.

I think the temperament of this team is similar to the Spurs, they embrace coaching, understand the pecking order.

Sometimes its harder to get Superstars to buy in, Manu coming off the bench, DRob then TD, now TP graciously stepping aside for younger teammates. I'm rambling.

Pop has a 23-15 record with kawhi out almost all the year, parker injured just as much, tiago out for a good portion, patty out until like 2 weeks ago, resting manu and tim as much as possible and on some B2Bs and playing a top 3 hardest schedule to date. I think Pop is doing a greater job than Bud but that's just me. 

Pop has a 23-15 record with kawhi out almost all the year, parker injured just as much, tiago out for a good portion, patty out until like 2 weeks ago, resting manu and tim as much as possible and on some B2Bs and playing a top 3 hardest schedule to date. I think Pop is doing a greater job than Bud but that's just me.

I don't know if he's doing a better job than Bud especially knowing the Hawks history. It's the 2nd year of the system where the Spurs are already a well oiled machine even with missing parts. Al is still working his way back into shape and relearning to play with Millsap, have you seen Thabo shoot to start the season, we have a bench a no name bench, a 2nd year backup 21yr old PG. We are undersized. The East is weak, but we've traveled out West and beaten all comers except the Spurs :-(.

I don't know where I read that strength of schedule bit but I can't find it anymore.

Anyways this was a small part of their december schedule.

12/14 - @ Denver
12/15 - @ Portland
12/17 - vs Memphis
12/19 - vs Portland
12/20 - @ Dallas
12/22 - vs LA Clippers
12/25 - vs OKC
12/26 - @ New Orleans
12/28 - vs Houston
12/30 - @ Memphis

12/31 - vs New Orleans 

Pretty tough in a small amount of time. 

I don't know if he's doing a better job than Bud especially knowing the Hawks history. It's the 2nd year of the system where the Spurs are already a well oiled machine even with missing parts. Al is still working his way back into shape and relearning to play with Millsap, have you seen Thabo shoot to start the season, we have a bench a no name bench, a 2nd year backup 21yr old PG. We are undersized. The East is weak, but we've traveled out West and beaten all comers except the Spurs :-(.

:D Both teams are doing great given their respective situations. 

I don't know where I read that strength of schedule bit but I can't find it anymore.

12/14 - @ Denver

12/15 - @ Portland

12/17 - vs Memphis

12/19 - vs Portland

12/20 - @ Dallas

12/22 - vs LA Clippers

12/25 - vs OKC

12/26 - @ New Orleans

12/28 - vs Houston

12/30 - @ Memphis

12/31 - vs New Orleans

We've played and beaten almost all of those teams, many of them in their house, in December and January. In fact we have zero losses against any of those teams. 

• Like 2

12/14 - @ Denver

12/15 - @ Portland

12/17 - vs Memphis

12/19 - vs Portland

12/20 - @ Dallas

12/22 - vs LA Clippers

12/25 - vs OKC

12/26 - @ New Orleans

12/28 - vs Houston

12/30 - @ Memphis

12/31 - vs New Orleans

Now check the Hawks schedule around that time.