• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford finally past injuries, frustration with Hawks

In three seasons at Florida, Al Horford played for teams that were 24-8, 33-6 and 35-5, won two national championships and were celebrated nationally for teamwork, unselfishness and uncommon maturity for young college athletes.

Then he played for the Hawks.

There were three seasons under Mike Woodson, when the team won as many as 53 games but always hit a ceiling in the playoffs, in part because of a dysfunctional locker room. There was a restructured, somewhat stripped-down version of the same under Larry Drew that engineered a first-round playoff upset of Orlando and stretched Chicago, but otherwise was a similar cast of misfits. There were the contrasting personalities of Joe Johnson and Josh Smith and Marvin Williams and, well, that’s enough.

There were no leaders.

Then came a third general manager with a third coach and yet another plan.

Even the greatest of optimists begin to wonder at some point about whether they’re meant to taste success again.

“Very frustrating,” Horford recalled the other night. “I didn’t want to let it get me down, but at times it would. I always tried to stay positive and work with what we had.”

No need to fake it any more. The Hawks’ play is arousing a nation of “Huh’s?” and “How’s?” and “Wow’s.” They’ve won 14 consecutive, which exceeds their win total for the entire 2004-05 season. They are 35-8, which is only three short of their win total last season (38-44). One would have to travel 2,100 miles to find an NBA team with a better record (Golden State: 34-6).

Horford hasn’t been this happy since he left Gainesville. Neither one of two pectorals have exploded. Problematic pectorals are not common obstacles in an NBA career, but Horford has torn both of his in two of the past three years. He said he’s finally feeling healthy, “finally feeling like I’m in a rhythm.”

His play as a relatively undersized center (6-foot-10, 245 pounds) has been so good at the rim on defense and on pick-and-rolls, that he’s fine with staying put now and not moving to power forward (which had been his preference).

“I can be defending on the perimeter, and even in the post I feel like we have a defensive system and there’s help around so I don’t have to go so hard, necessarily. I’ve embraced this role.”

He has embraced everything.

When a team like the Hawks puts together an A-plus record with B-to-B-plus talent, it’s because of all those things that came together for Horford and his teammates in college: work ethic, intelligence, sharing the ball, defense, humility. The Hawks never blended before like they blend now.

It was apparent in Horford’s rookie season that he could be a leader. It also became apparent that there were times when he would say something, but certain veteran teammates didn’t like it. Some also didn’t like that the media painted Horford in such a positive light while they bashed others.

Horford didn’t mention any names when discussing past teams, but said, “We always had good guys here, but this is different. I feel like we have a lot of veteran guys who get it, who police each other and aren’t afraid to get after each other for messing up. We’ve handled criticism as well as any place I’ve ever been, even Florida. In the heat of the moment when somebody’s telling you something, your inclination is to (turn away).”

That happened?

“We wouldn’t even get that far. There wasn’t that open communication, maybe for fear. I was younger and I was like, ‘Should I say something to that guy? He’s an eight-year vet.’ At times I would, but I wouldn’t say it every time.”

Horford was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week for a second time after averaging 21.7 points (84 percent shooting), eight rebounds and 6.3 assists in three games. Coach Mike Budenholzer praised his work at both ends of the court, saying, “I had a gut feeling (before last season) he would fit in with what we wanted to do. He’s such a smart player.”

Teammate Kyle Korver echoed those sentiments, calling Horford “the most consistent player and person I’ve ever been around. He approaches every game the same way. He’s an extreme professional. He comes with the right mindset. His cup is always have full. He’s always positive, which is very unusual.”

That’s true in any walk of life, but particularly a locker room in Atlanta.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/basketball/horford-finally-past-injuries-and-frustration-with/njtPC/?icmp=ajc_internallink_invitationbox_apr2013_ajcstubtomyajcpremium#5c79fc93.257107.735621

• Moderators

Thanks @JayBirdHawk.  Great article.  Horford has always been a great guy.  It's nice that he gets to enjoy success as a hawk.

C-viv has done a really good job this year.  So much better than in the past.  But every article has at least one typo.   This article is behind the paywall, not a blog post, don't they proof read these things?   "his cup is always have full".  I guess maybe Korver actually said "have" but wouldn't you have to put a (sic) in there?   

Anyway,   a deep playoff run with these guys will be a lot of fun.  Go hawks.

• Like 2

When a team like the Hawks puts together an A-plus record with B-to-B-plus talent

Great article, but what is with the myth that we do not have great talent?  We have a legitimate case for 3-4 all stars on our roster right now.  Players like Al and Paul, could be on bad teams like the Knicks and putting up the gaudy numbers they were capable of if they so chose to; is that what it takes to get recognition as an A talent?  They could do exactly what Kevin Love did on the Timberwolves for years.  Our guys play great defense which is half the game, while supposed A-talents like Love do not.

And Jeff.  Look at the difference between him and the all star starter this year Kyle Lowry.  Lowry scores two more points a game, but needs more minutes and shots to do it, and is an overall worse shooter.  That's why Jeff has the higher PER and plays the role of the distributor better by averaging a higher assist percentage.  Jeff could take three or four more shots a game like Lowry and put up better scoring numbers while hurting the team if he wanted to; is that what it would take to get him recognized?

If talent is being defined as who looks like the better ISO ball extraordinaire then I guess we don't have talent, but i'll take what we have any day over that.

Bud looks like a genius so far... but I am not ignorant enough to think that he could take a roster that truly only had mediocre talent on it to a 35-8 record halfway through the season.  No could could.  Popavich had great talent on his teams.  Jackson had amazing talent.  Carlisle had talent.  No one is putting together 1st place teams and championship contenders without talent.  We have great talent.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I remember some posters here questioning Al's leadership in the past and I was always defending it. You could see he was a leader on those Fla teams. You don't just stop being a leader at the next level. We all know who he was talking about on the old teams that wouldn't listen and didn't like Al getting positive media while that player only got negative.

Yet another reason I thank God every day Chuck McChuckerson is gone from this team.

Editor's note: for the new members on the board Chuck McChuckerson is my name for our former Hawk Josh Smith.

• Like 2

Great article, but what is with the myth that we do not have great talent?  We have a legitimate case for 3-4 all stars on our roster right now.  Players like Al and Paul, could be on bad teams like the Knicks and putting up the gaudy numbers they were capable of if they so chose to; is that what it takes to get recognition as an A talent?  They could do exactly what Kevin Love did on the Timberwolves for years.  Our guys play great defense which is half the game, while supposed A-talents like Love do not.

And Jeff.  Look at the difference between him and the all star starter this year Kyle Lowry.  Lowry scores two more points a game, but needs more minutes and shots to do it, and is an overall worse shooter.  That's why Jeff has the higher PER and plays the role of the distributor better by averaging a higher assist percentage.  Jeff could take three or four more shots a game like Lowry and put up better scoring numbers while hurting the team if he wanted to; is that what it would take to get him recognized?

If talent is being defined as who looks like the better ISO ball extraordinaire then I guess we don't have talent, but i'll take what we have any day over that.

Bud looks like a genius so far... but I am not ignorant enough to think that he could take a roster that truly only had mediocre talent on it to a 35-8 record halfway through the season.  No could could.  Popavich had great talent on his teams.  Jackson had amazing talent.  Carlisle had talent.  No one is putting together 1st place teams and championship contenders without talent.  We have great talent.   

I agree 100%.  Every one, including some of our fans, prop up Chicago and Cleveland because of their superior "talent".  I'm not seeing it.  Teague is as athletic as it gets at the PG spot.  Korver is the best spot up shooter in the league.  We have a pair of dynamic big men who are agile and good athletes which cause a nightmare for opposing frontcourts.  Do Carroll, Schröder, Thabo, Scott and Bazemore not have talent?

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 1

I agree 100%.  Every one, including some of our fans, prop up Chicago and Cleveland because of their superior "talent".  I'm not seeing it.  Teague is as athletic as it gets at the PG spot.  Korver is the best spot up shooter in the league.  We have a pair of dynamic big men who are agile and good athletes which cause a nightmare for opposing frontcourts.  Do Carroll, Schröder, Thabo, Scott and Bazemore not have talent?

They have 2 guys who are and have been NBA MVP type talent in the starting lineup plus a defensive player of the year patrolling the paint and good shooting around them. At least when healthy they do. I understand wanting to pump the Hawks up but nobody was saying our talent was that special prior to Thanksgiving and our players haven't changed since then so let's not sell the Bulls short just to make the Hawks look better. 

• Moderators

Editor's note: for the new members on the board Chuck McChuckerson is my name for our former Hawk Josh Smith.

You gave him that nickname way before left and it became mainstream to bash him, too.  

• Like 1

They have 2 guys who are and have been NBA MVP type talent in the starting lineup plus a defensive player of the year patrolling the paint and good shooting around them. At least when healthy they do. I understand wanting to pump the Hawks up but nobody was saying our talent was that special prior to Thanksgiving and our players haven't changed since then so let's not sell the Bulls short just to make the Hawks look better. 

Keyword: HAVE BEEN. 

You are fooling yourself if you think Rose or Noah are the players that they used to be.  Gasol has looked great on offense while looking like a matador on defense.  I will take the current Teague/Millsap/Horford over the current Rose/Gasol/Noah in a heartbeat. 

and then you have Bud who is miles ahead of Thibs.

Keyword: HAVE BEEN. 

You are fooling yourself if you think Rose or Noah are the players that they used to be.  Gasol has looked great on offense while looking like a matador on defense.  I will take the current Teague/Millsap/Horford over the current Rose/Gasol/Noah in a heartbeat. 

and then you have Bud who is miles ahead of Thibs.

I'm fooling myself? Have you seen Rose play lately? He's back to the guy that he used to be prior to the injuries and Gasol has put up one of his best seasons ever and his defense, his D-Rating is 2 points higher than Horford's career average and only 1 point lower than Horford's 2nd best season ever that he's having this year. If it weren't for injury concerns there's no doubt that trio would be among the best in the game. 

As to who's the better coach, let's wait and see when Bud wins a playoff series before we start proclaiming he's miles ahead of Thibs.

Look I get that the Hawks are a very good team, we all know that. But I don't understand throwing shade on the Bulls just because they're not the Hawks. 

I'm fooling myself? Have you seen Rose play lately? He's back to the guy that he used to be prior to the injuries and Gasol has put up one of his best seasons ever and his defense, his D-Rating is 2 points higher than Horford's career average and only 1 point lower than Horford's 2nd best season ever that he's having this year. If it weren't for injury concerns there's no doubt that trio would be among the best in the game. 

As to who's the better coach, let's wait and see when Bud wins a playoff series before we start proclaiming he's miles ahead of Thibs.

Look I get that the Hawks are a very good team, we all know that. But I don't understand throwing shade on the Bulls just because they're not the Hawks. 

D. Rose has been shooting much better, as of late, but he is nowhere close to the defensive player that he once was.  I watched their recent game against Washington and he was straight bad on that end.

Here's some recent performances of centers vs Pau.  So much for a D rating

Mozgov 15 points 15 rebs on 50% FG

Horford 22 pts 9 rebs on 11/14

Zeller/Olynk combined for 26 and 15 on 55%

Vucevic 33 and 11 on 16/24

Gortat 21 and 13 on 10/16

Favors 20 and 11 on 8/15

B Lopez 29 pts on 62%

That's over the last 13 games.

• Premium Member

You gave him that nickname way before left and it became mainstream to bash him, too.  

Thank you for remembering that. I can't remember which year it was but it got to the point I couldn't stand watching the team play just to see him chucking up long two's or threes. And so he had to be called something to signify what he truly is.

D. Rose has been shooting much better, as of late, but he is nowhere close to the defensive player that he once was.  I watched their recent game against Washington and he was straight bad on that end.

Here's some recent performances of centers vs Pau.  So much for a D rating

Mozgov 15 points 15 rebs on 50% FG

Horford 22 pts 9 rebs on 11/14

Zeller/Olynk combined for 26 and 15 on 55%

Vucevic 33 and 11 on 16/24

Gortat 21 and 13 on 10/16

Favors 20 and 11 on 8/15

B Lopez 29 pts on 62%

That's over the last 13 games.

Those aren't only numbers AGAINST Pau. That's exacty what D-Rating is for. It calculates the # of points allowed per 100 possessions. 

Thank you for remembering that. I can't remember which year it was but it got to the point I couldn't stand watching the team play just to see him chucking up long two's or threes. And so he had to be called something to signify what he truly is.

Your new name is Patty McYourOwnBakerson to_pick_ones_nose.gif