• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Report is Gearon Junior keeps a percentage

I hate that I called this back in January.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/402405-nyt-article-on-hawks-ownership-who-the-f-is-tommy-dortch/?hl=gearon#entry742085

I'm predicting that Gearon and Seydel will be bought out at around 200 million, only to buy right back in, when the new ownership group puts about 15% - 20% up for sale.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises, 06 January 2015 - 02:34 PM.

Question now is ... what % is his stake? If it is as high as 15 - 20% .... yikes.

• Moderators

Question now is ... what % is his stake? If it is as high as 15 - 20% .... yikes.

I am really, really hoping it is in the "Dominique - honorary" type of range.  Speaking of which, any word if Nique gets to maintain his nominal share?

I am really, really hoping it is in the "Dominique - honorary" type of range. Speaking of which, any word if Nique gets to maintain his nominal share?

Caller today to radio said lets talk about the elephant in the living room and how Nique hates Ferry. Wants to have his power. Was glad to hear it come out. It will have to be addressed

Caller today to radio said lets talk about the elephant in the living room and how Nique hates Ferry. Wants to have his power. Was glad to hear it come out. It will have to be addressed

@DrReality what did the hosts say?

@DrReality what did the hosts say

It was Steak on 680 and he confirmed Nique's "near hate for Ferry" and that he'd like to be in that position.  That it will have to be dealt with by the new owners.  There is a place  for him as a announcer and celeb for the franchise but not as part of the decision makers.  They addressed it directly but delicately. 

It was Steak on 680 and he confirmed Nique's "near hate for Ferry" and that he'd like to be in that position. That it will have to be dealt with by the new owners. There is a place for him as a announcer and celeb for the franchise but not as part of the decision makers. They addressed it directly but delicately.

Thanks.

I definitely don't want Nique as GM.

He is a Hawks icon, let him be just that. That way he can stay beloved by the fans.

• Moderators

Nope. The NBA banished those kinds of ownership:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/report-nba-passes-rule-raising-the-bar-for-team-ownership/

There is no way that Nique has ~$7.3 million hanging around that he could put towards ownership.

But he doesn't need to.  He could just not sell his stake in the team while the other owners sell their stake.  He is already grandfathered as long as he doesn't sell.

WOW!

Seriously, does Nique even have a degree from UGA? The guy is simply not smart enough to be a GM. You've got to have a strong work ethic, but not an athletically inclined work ethic. One that, yaknow, involves smarts and reading and understanding the financial structure of the team along with cap management and dealing with negotiations. Nique couldn't even pay for f***ing suits and yet somehow he thinks he could manage the cost structure of a business than runs towards a hundred million dollars each year? GTFO.

No wonder why my opinion of Nique has changed. f*** him if he's trying to get that job.

Meh, consider the source.  "Steak" is a well-known hack.  I doubt he can "confirm" anything like that.  His "insider knowledge" is probably akin to yours and mines.

If he's right about this it's due to the broken clock scenario.  IOW, you can still like 'Nique (for now).

Meh, consider the source. "Steak" is a well-known hack. I doubt he can "confirm" anything like that. His "insider knowledge" is probably akin to yours and mines.

If he's right about this it's due to the broken clock scenario. IOW, you can still like 'Nique (for now).

Mmmmm, it may be not be as far fetched as you think. I vaguely remember Jamie Dukes (92.9 The Game) alluding to Nique saying he wanrs5 to move to that side of basket ball things - GM.

Mmmmm, it may be not be as far fetched as you think. I vaguely remember Jamie Dukes (92.9 The Game) alluding to Nique saying he wanrs5 to move to that side of basket ball things - GM.

Ah, but that's how they get you.  Nique has expressed a desire to move into "management" in the past.  So a hack takes that nugget of truth and adds some "source" nonsense to make himself sound like an "insider".

Is it true?  Maybe, maybe not.  Meanwhile, the myth that the hack "knows something" gets fuel.

And, just like that, I've uncovered the ugly truth behind sports radio "journalism".

Ah, but that's how they get you. Nique has expressed a desire to move into "management" in the past. So a hack takes that nugget of truth and adds some "source" nonsense to make himself sound like an "insider".

Is it true? Maybe, maybe not. Meanwhile, the myth that the hack "knows something" gets fuel.

And, just like that, I've uncovered the ugly truth behind sports radio "journalism".

True, but the way he said it, he said he spoke with Nique (apparently they're friends) - This was awhile ago early in the season so.....he could be just talking out of his Ass. Edited by JayBirdHawk

I don't listen to that talk radio junk, so I don't really know about the credibility. So if it isn't credible, then ignore my rambling based on the assumption that Nique is angling to be GM...although from all the surrounding changes from Nique over the passed ~9 months, I can easily see this as true.

I'm on the fence about Nique. I don't hate him, but I don't like him. I have never been into idolizing people as some posters on here do. And I certainly don't think that skills in one field/area translate into others. Good/great players are prrrroooobbbbaabbbbllly no more likely to be a good GM than me. Smart people are probably more likely to be good GMs...and...well....we've heard Nique give us some verbal diarrhea on the TV. So we kinda know he's not smart, which isn't a reason to hate a person or think any less of them. He's still a generally likeable guy.

I'm not saying true/untrue.  I'm saying don't base it on that particular report.

I agree with your 'smart people' rant.  I hate when people assume just because a guy was a great player then, of course, he'd make a great coach/GM.  There's probably more evidence to the contrary.

True, but the way he said it, he said he spoke with Nique (apparently they're friends) - This was awhile ago early in the season so.....he could be just talking out of his Ass.

Ding, ding, ding.

• Moderators

I don't think so. Not with the reports of C-Viv claiming 100% of the Hawks were up for sale.

Of course, one could assume that C-Viv was wrong. But he is actually on top of the business side of things especially with his Thrashers experience.

And if you want to make an argument that Nique sold...used the money from that sale to put towards buying into the team...well I seriously doubt he had 1% in the team before. He was probably as honorary as you can get. So 0.001% is probably more likely.

They can structure the deal however they want.  If the new owners want Nique to keep a small % of ownership, they can simply exclude him from the sale.  The reason the 100% was up for sale is that Nique's small % wasn't going to block the sale of the team if someone wanted the full 100%.  

You can't assume things either way because we don't have the information.  If the new owners want Nique to stay involved they have an easy path to keeping him on the team.  (They did this for Gearon.)

Edited by AHF

It was Steak on 680 and he confirmed Nique's "near hate for Ferry" and that he'd like to be in that position. That it will have to be dealt with by the new owners. There is a place for him as a announcer and celeb for the franchise but not as part of the decision makers. They addressed it directly but delicately.

I love Nique. I don't want to hate him. Please no gm.

• Moderators

I love Nique. I don't want to hate him. Please no gm.

It would be a depressing no win situation for him.  He would be actively pushing out the GM that took us to the #1 seed in the East and possibly more.  It is hard to go anywhere but down from there and if he loses Bud everyone will point the finger at Nique/Gearon.  Talk about a way to smear your legacy and to bring down the reputation of the new owners.  

The cleanest way forward for everyone here is for the new owners to bring back Ferry and make their best pitch to extend Bud's contract.  If Nique wants to be GM, he should angle for getting it if/when Ferry jumps ship - not by trying to push Ferry overboard.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member

This is a good thing for the Hawks.  People on here are talking smack about MGJ but don't know the first thing about him.   He's a good man and he cares more about Atlanta and the Hawks than many of us will ever know. 

Edited by NineOhTheRino

It would be a depressing no win situation for him. He would be actively pushing out the GM that took us to the #1 seed in the East and possibly more. It is hard to go anywhere but down from there and if he loses Bud everyone will point the finger at Nique/Gearon. Talk about a way to smear your legacy and to bring down the reputation of the new owners.

The cleanest way forward for everyone here is for the new owners to bring back Ferry and make their best pitch to extend Bud's contract. If Nique wants to be GM, he should angle for getting it if/when Ferry jumps ship - not by trying to push Ferry overboard.

Yup. A 10-20 year contract for Bud..(if that's ever been done before) would be great. And someone in Nique's close circle should just break it to him that the GM role might not be his strong suit.