• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Nets GAME 5 (7 PM Eastern Tip!)

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

@Peoriabird  At the All-star game interview Teague said they have about 5 set plays and from that it's read and react based on the defense.  That's why ball and player movement is important.

For instance, the last regular season game against Brooklyn, the play call was for Korver.  He realized that Brook left Al Kyle passed to Al for an easy dunk.

@JayBirdHawk Early in the 4th quarter, the Hawks went to an Iso game trying to force feed the ball to Millsap.  Every time the defense adjusted, Millsap would pass and re post. This was done for 4-5 strait possession which netted 3 points because Millsap either missed the shot, turned the ball over or Missed Free throws.. Is that a play called by the players or the coach

Edited by Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Positive post= Jumping on the bandwagon

Critical post= Debbie Downer that can't enjoy anything

No post= Haters only post when the team losses

i agree with ^

@JayBirdHawk Early in the 4th quarter, the Hawks went to an Iso game trying to force feed the ball to Millsap. Every time the defense adjusted, Millsap would pass and re post. This was done for 4-5 strait possession which netted zero point because Millsap either missed the shot, turned the ball over or Missed Free throws.. Is that a play called by the players or the coach

@Peoriabird I had to go back at look at the play by play because I don't remember those plays:

11:07 misses 2 free throws

8:56 musses 3 ptr

6:48 makes 3 pointer

4:52 misses 3 ptr

2:04 travelling

Could Bud have called plays for Millsap in the post because the Nets were playing small with Joe guarding him - sure.

I'm unclear what your point is. Can Milsap play better? sure.

Do I want to see the level of play and consistency from Teague and Al that I saw last night - yes.

• Premium Member

@Peoriabird I had to go back at look at the play by play because I don't remember those plays:

11:07 misses 2 free throws

8:56 musses 3 ptr

6:48 makes 3 pointer

4:52 misses 3 ptr

2:04 travelling

Could Bud have called plays for Millsap in the post because the Nets were playing small with Joe guarding him - sure.

I'm unclear what your point is. Can Milsap play better? sure.

Do I want to see the level of play and consistency from Teague and Al that I saw last night - yes.

@jayhawkbird The question is whether Jeff Teague decides to be non-aggressive or is the call coming from the bench...most are blaming Teague for deferring to others like Millsap and that sequence was clearly designed to get Millsap the ball. Edited by Peoriabird

Except that 12 of Jack's 16 points where scored on Teague.

Based on his play, Dennis would've allowed that plus would've been turning the ball over at an alarming rate on top of it.

I luve Dennis but he's been bad this series (along with the rest of the bench).

Based on his play, Dennis would've allowed that plus would've been turning the ball over at an alarming rate on top of it.

Yup.  Not sure how any one can try to debate Dennis vs Teague right now.  Teague is clearly light years ahead of the kid at this point.

I think Bud needs to sometimes trap Jack on the PnR. His 1st thought is to score first, second and third. He's not as effective passing and setting up others, we can force a turn over.

Jack was actually 1/5 untill he got rewarded 2 dodgy FT's against Dennis.  So there is that...

Look, Dennis played fine first two games. Lets not make it worse than it is. And while Jack had his share of the fun these two games as well, they both where on par and on par the next two games when it comes to having not so good games. Jack combined for a whole 9 points over two games against the same Dennis everybody seems to have found a whippingboy in.

Thing is that Korver's 3pt shot has been way off, Baze cant hit a lick, forget about Scott right now etc. There is allot more reasons for the struggles in that department than a guy who gives you 9 points and 3 assists of the bench overal in his first playoff series.

But surely, some of his decision making is infuriating at times, like the last 2 possesions at the end of the 3rd last night. Not so much because it was so important, but because its just dumb. But it was in a period where he was on the floor expanding the lead. I dont think he would do such things when it matters. He Isnt giving any games away. The whole entire Hawks did in game 3-4. That 11 point lead at the start of the 4th melted away under Teague as well btw.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

Jack was actually 1/5 untill he got rewarded 2 dodgy FT's against Dennis.  So there is that...

Look, Dennis played fine first two games. Lets not make it worse than it is. And while Jack had his share of the fun these two games as well, they both where on par and on par the next two games when it comes to having not so good games. Jack combined for a whole 9 points over two games against the same Dennis everybody seems to have found a whippingboy in.

Thing is that Korver's 3pt shot has been way off, Baze cant hit a lick, forget about Scott right now etc. There is allot more reasons for the struggles in that department than a guy who gives you 9 points and 3 assists of the bench overal in his first playoff series.

But surely, some of his decision making is infuriating at times, like the last 2 possesions at the end of the 3rd last night. Not so much because it was so important, but because its just dumb. But it was in a period where he was on the floor expanding the lead. I dont think he would do such things when it matters. He Isnt giving any games away. The whole entire Hawks did in game 3-4. That 11 point lead at the start of the 4th melted away under Teague as well btw.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/schrode01/on-off/2015/

We have an offensive rating of 88 with Dennis on the court and 115.3 with him off the court this series.

Our defensive rating falls from 101.4 to 107.2 when Dennis enters the game. 

Thats a whopping 33.1 differential overall.

• Premium Member

some on here believe if you make one comment about the Hawks team or players in a negative mamber your a hater. We are all Hawks fans and criticism is deserved Over the last several games.

• Like 2

Saw this, thought it was hilarious.

Tony Allen: Haters are like crickets. Crickets make a lot of noise, you hear it but you can't see them. Then right when you walk by them, they're quiet" Twitter @aa000G9

Saw this, thought it was hilarious.

Tony Allen: Haters are like crickets. Crickets make a lot of noise, you hear it but you can't see them. Then right when you walk by them, they're quiet" Twitter @aa000G9

No way Tony Allen came up with that.  Also Jaybird needs to dock herself 15 cool points for a Tony Allen reference.  He's more punchfacey than Alan Anderson.

No way Tony Allen came up with that. Also Jaybird needs to dock herself 15 cool points for a Tony Allen reference. He's more punchfacey than Alan Anderson.

I concur - 15 points docked.

No way Tony Allen came up with that.  Also Jaybird needs to dock herself 15 cool points for a Tony Allen reference.  He's more punchfacey than Alan Anderson.

If we had Tony Allen AND DeMarre Carroll out on the perimeter playing defense, this series would be over by now.

Tony is one of those guys that opposing fans hate, but his current fan base absolutely loves.  

Put it like this.  There is no 35 point explosion by Deron, if we had The Grindfather.

If we had Tony Allen AND DeMarre Carroll out on the perimeter playing defense, this series would be over by now.

Tony is one of those guys that opposing fans hate, but his current fan base absolutely loves.  

Put it like this.  There is no 35 point explosion by Deron, if we had The Grindfather.

We had Demarre and a taller, longer Tony Allen before the NYPD happened.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/schrode01/on-off/2015/

We have an offensive rating of 88 with Dennis on the court and 115.3 with him off the court this series.

Our defensive rating falls from 101.4 to 107.2 when Dennis enters the game. 

Thats a whopping 33.1 differential overall.

The offensive rate dropping significantly once the bench comes in is normalcy. One of Dennis's strengths during the regular season and first two games whas this drop-off wasnt that significant(also due to getting lots of time with Korver and Horford of course). Surely 88 is just not good enough, but its also because of other players who kinda play basketball as well.

The defensive rating is actually the lower the better.

Of course Im a DS17fanboy, but Im trying to be as rational as possible.man_in_love.gif  Its really not objective to put so much blame on Dennis.

People talk about the flow of the game changing when Dennis comes in. Thats true, but it has been intentional. Look at Bud calling ISO plays for Dennis. Look for instance what happened when Teague had to get out early in the third due to his injury. The rest of the starters didnt even let Dennis walk up the ball, trying to keep the starting formation pace up, get everyone touches, etc. Dennis has shown to do more than well with the starters during the season, but he has to be harnased pre-game I suppose. He is indeed an obnoxious knucklehead to often at this stage of his career. And yes hes playing beneath his average game. Still its not just him in the losses. And if anything just imagine a Dennis getting to his full potential this playoffs. Dont write him off just yet as I dont see why...

Edited by DS17Fanboy

Im not writing dennis off forever, just for this series. While a loss is never solely one players fault, i think dennis deserves the most blame for the game 4 loss. An offensive differential of -27 cant be fully excused by who he is playing with and our defensive rating doesn't decrease with him in. It's 101.4 when he is off the court and 107.2 when he is on.