• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can we talk about this teams lack of athleticism and inability to finish?

HawkItus

Teague

Millsap

Korver

All missed bunnies and gimme's last night.  Teague is pretty damn athletic, but my goodness does he practice layups?  We need more athletic ability in the starting lineup.  It's no surprise that Horf and DMC are our most consistent guys around the rim.  I just think Bud and DF don't value this enough.  

Edited by HawkItus

Why we dont have a Team of:

Magic, West, James, Duncan, wilt ...

Korver ist a finisher near the rim, and his athletics are more about Koordination and stamina - but bis strength fit perfectly in the system ... Yes he seems to be a bit cold, but also powerfull penetrating guards are cold for some stretches but with them the Hawks St m wont work and wie would have more trouble to score.

The same counts for the other examples, you cannt have all well rounded extraordinary players, without a weakness but the mix our Team have works.

Korver ist a finisher near the rim, and his athletics are more about Koordination and stamina - but bis strength fit perfectly in the system ... Yes he seems to be a bit cold, but also powerfull penetrating guards are cold for some stretches but with them the Hawks St m wont work and wie would have more trouble to score.

The same counts for the other examples, you cannt have all well rounded extraordinary players, without a weakness but the mix our Team have works.

I disagree.  Instead of another shooter off the bench like JJ we could have had somebody with more penetration ability.  Instead of Muscala we could have run with a more BeBe type player or used Payne for that purpose.   The lineup is great when everyone is on, but we need a plan B.

So u think the casual out oft the Rotation player, should be changed since they usually impact are po series?

I am curious why they dont play, in 99% oft the po Team vor do you mean if wie Bad Howard instead oft Moose we would be stronger?

And if you look at out Team the backup grom korver is bazemorr, a string player right (same counts for Thabo) Brand is nearly AS important AS Moose but stringer probadly if he would play his minutes we would stand with 6-0 in the po and 80-2 in RS.

I disagree.  Instead of another shooter off the bench like JJ we could have had somebody with more penetration ability.  Instead of Muscala we could have run with a more BeBe type player or used Payne for that purpose.   The lineup is great when everyone is on, but we need a plan B.

Bebe and Payne. 

crazy.gif

So u think the casual out oft the Rotation player, should be changed since they usually impact are po series?

I am curious why they dont play, in 99% oft the po Team vor do you mean if wie Bad Howard instead oft Moose we would be stronger?

And if you look at out Team the backup grom korver is bazemorr, a string player right (same counts for Thabo) Brand is nearly AS important AS Moose but stringer probadly if he would play his minutes we would stand with 6-0 in the po and 80-2 in RS.

I'm sorry your right.  Everything is perfect and team is uber athletic and finishes well.  We'll go 4-4-4 the next month and half and win the title. shout.gif dash1.gif

Our length is a problem but not too much of one. You pay max dollars to wings who finish great around the rim, that's not part of our program. They have been missing bunnies, but I enjoy how the team manufactures paint points off of the spacing.

We were an excellent field goal percentage team in the regular season, you don't achieve that by not attacking the rim. We've got to believe this team's best postseason ball is still ahead. Our struggles just have happened to coincide with the opponent playing over their head way too much so far.

• Like 1

Hey those are the guys your boy Ferry drafted.  Give him the crazy face not me.

I will be the first to say those were wasted picks.  I'm just glad we are smart enough to cut ties when we realize they are useless instead of holding on for dear life and overpaying them like we would have done in the past.

Now let's get back to you suggesting that Bebe or Payne could be a difference maker.  What on earth would make you think either of these bums would do any better than Muscala?  and why are we even mentioning Muscala when he has played so little.  He's a non-factor just like those two would be.

Our problem isn't athleticism.  We have had the same team all year and we have proven that we can be dominant.  The real problem is Teague's aggressiveness and shotmaking.  We will be in the Finals if we can correct these two issues. 

Aggressive Teague + Horford drilling midrange shots + Korver drilling 3's = Best team in the East.

Edited by JETSET

Teague missed a layup in the skills challenge (que the gif).

They need to use the glass.

Teague in conjuction with Children's Healthcare of Atlanta is donating $20 for every assist this season.

Up the ante Teague, for every missed layup donate $100 and get all your teammates to join in. This missed layup thing by the entire team is getting seriously annoying.

I keep saying...USE THE GLASS!!!

Teague missed a layup in the skills challenge (que the gif).

They need to use the glass.

Teague in conjuction with Children's Healthcare of Atlanta is donating $20 for every assist this season.

Up the ante Teague, for every missed layup donate $100 and get all your teammates to join in. This missed layup thing by the entire team is getting seriously annoying.

I keep saying...USE THE GLASS!!!

You've been watching Cliff Levingston and Tim Duncan far too long. Chicks don't dig ballers that use glass. Lol

What he is saying is that if we simply had a legit guy who could finish around the rim or maybe create his own shot, this team would be better off.

It doesn't have to be a superstar. It could be a guy as simple as a Jeff Green or even an athlete like ( gasp ) Javale McGee.

Watch what Golden State does in the Memphis series. Because of their size, you may even see a guy like Festus Ezeli get more playing time to go up against Marc Gasol, instead of Kerr opting to go smallish at times.

HawkItus point is that we have too many people on the team that do exactly the same thing. Even the Spurs aren't built like that. The Cavs retooled their lineup so they could be more versatile, and it immediately made them better.

So imagine if we had a legit rim protector to put in the game on the frontline, instead of a struggling Mike Scott. You could now run a 3 man platoon at center ( Horford - Antić - rim protector ), and strictly play Horford or Millsap at PF at all times.

Millsap is currently averaging 37 mpg. Horford at 33 mpg ( which needs to be increased IMO ). Pero at 17 mpg. So what would happen if we had an athletic big to put in the lineup for defense and rebounding?

PF: Millsap ( 36 ) - Horford ( 12 )

C: Horford ( 22 ) - Antić ( 16 ) - other big ( 10 )

That type of lineup keeps us big and solid in the middle, and lethal at the PF spot.

That's why as the trading deadline neared, I wanted the Hawks to make a play for a vet big man like a Samuel Dalembert. He's traditionally an active body on the boards, can make a few midrange jumpers, and can block and alter a few shots.

With Mike Scott playing terrible, and Bud reluctant to play both Muscala and Brand, a guy like Dalembert would be a decent option to have off the bench.

It's all about being versatile, not one dimensional.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Moderators

We went out and got two guys who can penetrate and finish.  Baze and Thabo.   Baze is still a work in progress and we know what happened with Thabo.  But those were two excellent, affordable guys who could play D and slash and finish.   

What he is saying is that if we simply had a legit guy who could finish around the rim or maybe create his own shot, this team would be better off.

It doesn't have to be a superstar. It could be a guy as simple as a Jeff Green or even an athlete like ( gasp ) Javale McGee.

Watch what Golden State does in the Memphis series. Because of their size, you may even see a guy like Festus Ezeli get more playing time to go up against Marc Gasol, instead of Kerr opting to go smallish at times.

HawkItus point is that we have too many people on the team that do exactly the same thing. Even the Spurs aren't built like that. The Cavs retooled their lineup so they could be more versatile, and it immediately made them better.

So imagine if we had a legit rim protector to put in the game on the frontline, instead of a struggling Mike Scott. You could now run a 3 man platoon at center ( Horford - Antić - rim protector ), and strictly play Horford or Millsap at PF at all times.

Millsap is currently averaging 37 mpg. Horford at 33 mpg ( which needs to be increased IMO ). Pero at 17 mpg. So what would happen if we had an athletic big to put in the lineup for defense and rebounding?

PF: Millsap ( 36 ) - Horford ( 12 )

C: Horford ( 22 ) - Antić ( 16 ) - other big ( 10 )

That type of lineup keeps us big and solid in the middle, and lethal at the PF spot.

That's why as the trading deadline neared, I wanted the Hawks to make a play for a vet big man like a Samuel Dalembert. He's traditionally an active body on the boards, can make a few midrange jumpers, and can block and alter a few shots.

With Mike Scott playing terrible, and Bud reluctant to play both Muscala and Brand, a guy like Dalembert would be a decent option to have off the bench.

It's all about being versatile, not one dimensional.

The Problem is you basically want a big men, who can score inside and is a rim protector for free if you give up the spot from moose and jenkins.

And i am not convinced to change the gameplan for your 12 and 14th guy in the rotation, i would concentrate of the execution of your best weapons instead of getting worst with your strength to utilize your weak players better. I would also say, brand is the less mobile stronger big, who could match this profile with a quite good quality for the price.

In the back court Teague and Schröder can create his own shot and penetrate, baze is also a player for penetration from the backcourt. But it is easier to drive for them, if you have spacing replacing the "unathletic" korver was a bad idea the whole season, and mostly his backup was athletic 2. Horford also was a Key for succes, since he protects the rim, with his quickness and is improving the offense. Yes against the few dominant inside c are better rim protector would be good, against all the scoring guards i guess the mobile approach it better and i think the hawks was quite good in stopping them the whole season. If i look at the teams who are still in the PO, i would say only Howard would utilize it, and i am not sure if a backup would stop him.

Playoffs are about matchups and adjustments.  If you have the type of roster that can adjust to what the other team is doing well against you, that team will be in good shape to win a series.

Almost everyone in the world have said that the Hawks were "too small".  Not that we weren't good enough to win, but that we were too small to handle some of the bigger teams that we may face in the playoffs.

Regular season success against a team can be thrown out the window.  Those teams will play their starters longer and use different strategies to beat you.

If we play Chicago in the next round, another good big off the bench would be an asset we could use.  If it's Cleveland, we could probably use an athletic wing ( which we had, until Thabo got hurt ).

The bottom line is that the great teams can play any kind of way, and adjust to what the other team is doing.  Let's see if our group of guys can do just that.   The makeup of the roster just forces other people to REALLY step up their games ( ala Teague, Korver, and Horford ).

• Like 1

I would say nearly all Teams play there starters more, during the po even if they had bench players who bring variability and maybe better def matchups. I would say they go for there strength.

I heard once there are two ways if coaching, u can play a style and perfect it vor you can play plenty if Styles with poorer execution. Imho most Coach have there scheme who they try to run to perfection, with different outs in wach Situation so that it is hard to defend since u use most mistakes of the d.

We also geht plenty of open shots, and that they are good shots u See over the season even if the small wiz sample may indicate sth different. If u continue to take math is in your side an the 45% shit will Fall in 45% instead if 30%. And since we geht that many wide open shots, i doubt we geht outcoached since we dont have penetrating guards ( besides Schröder, teague, baze), also the pretty big Wizards loose the battle in the boards and dont have plenty inaide scoring Form the bigs ... Maybe they are to big to beat us.

I would say nearly all Teams play there starters more, during the po even if they had bench players who bring variability and maybe better def matchups. I would say they go for there strength.

I heard once there are two ways if coaching, u can play a style and perfect it vor you can play plenty if Styles with poorer execution. Imho most Coach have there scheme who they try to run to perfection, with different outs in wach Situation so that it is hard to defend since u use most mistakes of the d.

We also geht plenty of open shots, and that they are good shots u See over the season even if the small wiz sample may indicate sth different. If u continue to take math is in your side an the 45% shit will Fall in 45% instead if 30%. And since we geht that many wide open shots, i doubt we geht outcoached since we dont have penetrating guards ( besides Schröder, teague, baze), also the pretty big Wizards loose the battle in the boards and dont have plenty inaide scoring Form the bigs ... Maybe they are to big to beat us.

This IS a athletic team. Its WHO bud keeps playing that is questionable. I keep forgetting ( and his lack of playing time makes it easy to forget), how good moose is and how athletic he is when given playing time. Moose erases all my feelings toward trading anybody for another big man. Problem is, for some reason, the hawks value antics FAKE pumps from the 3 point line and non existent interior play, over moose's proven ability to be a more athletic piece that can be used in the paint........