• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why didn't we foul them at the end?

bumpyphish1

I was pro-fouling in that situation, especially when Wall's back was to the basket with around 5 seconds left. Wall likely would have tried making both free throws, and we had a timeout left where we could inbound it at half-court. Washington had used their LAST timeout setting up the play, so they would have to go the full-court in about 3 seconds to hit a game-tying 2 or 3.

Although if they had tried intentionally missing the second free throw, the prospect of having our undersized front-court needing to pull down a series-clinching defensive rebound is indeed a little daunting.

• Moderators

Usually around 5 the next day at official.nba.com where you get to see all the wonderful noncalls.

I bet they don't even address the travel.

You guessed right! Not even a correct/incorrect non-call finding. They just didn't address it.

http://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/05/L2M-ATL-WAS-5-15-2015-GAME-6.pdf

~lw3

• Moderators

Side note from watching the replay: I'm pretty sure Pierce's shot was Plan B; Plan A was for Wall to take the shot from the top of the arc assuming he'd have an open jumper off the pick. With 2.5 seconds to go, Wall jump-passed when he came off the Pierce screen only to find himself still being doubled (DMC, Baze). That bit of hesitation from Wall (plus Horford not biting on Nene running across the floor, meeting Pierce at the pass from Wall) likely made the split-second events unfold as they did.

As much as I critiqued the closeouts during the postseason, the Hawks did as good a job as possible getting a rushed shot out of the Wizards without fouling any shooters. It went in, but all that extra jump-passing and sideline dancing left Washington's effort too late.

~lw3

• Like 2

There was an article in the Washington Post that said PP was the 3rd option on the play. I was screaming at them to foul, noting that they had no more timeouts so if you go trade fouls they have to go the length of the floor in a couple of seconds, almost assuredly resulting in a desperation heave.

The only factor that gives me pause is the rebounding issue. We consistently get manhandled on the defensive glass and there is no lineup configuration that you can put out there that you feel comfortable with as far as getting a "must-have" rebound.

I am disappointed and honestly a bit surprised that we always play it straight up, given developing sentiment on the issue among the progressively-minded basketball community. I'm sure Bud thought about it and has a cogent counterargument (perhaps in line with the above), but I would like to hear him answer the question.

honestly im glad they didnt foul. I didnt trust the team to not screw up. The previous possession horford hit only 1 of the 2 freethrows and the possession before that we turned the ball over trying to waste clock like dummies.

Sometimes you just gotta feel confident you can make a basketball play without involving the refs.  You force a team to their secondary or tertiary option which turns out to be a desperation heave 99/100 you live with that result, at worst you were tied.  You foul and you now open up a world of other options, many of which could work against you.

You foul and you now open up a world of other options, many of which could work against you.

A. fouling someone and giving up a crazy 3 point play

B. fouling someone while they are shooting a 3

C. not being able to secure the rebound after they intentionally miss the 2nd freethrow and fumbling the ball out of bounds.

D. giving up a put back after they intentionally miss the 2nd freethrow

The fact that they had no timeouts remaining sealed my hope that they would foul.  Just not enough time to for Washington to get a decent look.  At best, it would have resulted a 3/4 court heave.

I always remember hating Danny Ainge fouling Dominique in 1988 as he was racing down the court with a chance to tie with a 3 pointer. 

Edited by SuperSavvyNation

It is true that you have to ask your basketball players to make a smart basketball play. I acknowledge that those negative scenarios are all possible, but so is a made 3 point basket. The latter in fact, I would argue, is the most likely of any of the undesirable outcomes. Even if you play good defense (which the Hawks did in this case), the offense knows it will most likely get a clean look because the defense does not want to foul the 3 point shooter.

There isn't much stopping a good shooter from squaring their shoulders and elevating for a relatively clean look. NBA players make those types of shots quite often.

Would like to hear Bud's thoughts on the subject.