• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Art of In-Game Coaching

Ruckus

I was just watching Kevin McHale in the huddle during a timeout break. He was miced for TV as they typically do with coaches. As I listened, it occurred to me that coaches usually say the exact same things during timeout breaks and rarely seam to discuss specific mid game adjustments. It's always... "We need to play defense and crash the boards"... "There's plenty of time left so play smart"... "Watch the turnovers"... etc. I never hear coaches talking about exploiting specific matchups or making other adjustments. I know that not every timeout is televised so I realize it could be much different over the course of an entire game. And they typically don't show timeouts where crucial plays would be drawn up. But in general, it just always seems like coaches are more cheerleaders than anything during games.

I wanted to get your thoughts on this. How much do you think in-game coaching is about cheerleading and ref management? Are certain coaches known to be better at in-game coaching? Some great coaches are known for being quiet during games, even sitting for most of the game. What are other ways coaches have an effect on the game? Your thoughts?

Edited by Ruckus

From my experience, timeouts aren't used for specific plays so much as they're used to focus a team and give general advice. There's not enough time to to make sweeping changes to an offense or defense within the flow of a game, but you can change points of emphasis. Do remember, most coaches do instruct their teams and call plays from the sidelines.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Most of the specific matchup stuff is probably discussed when they look at film and its probably a little late if you addressing this in game. I'm sure most players already understand who they will be covering when they enter a game and as a team get a sense of who needs help. 

I was a high school varsity basketball coach for 18 years. I played on the collegiate level.  Trust me when I say that college coaches are MUCH better coaches than most of the NBA coaches.  College coaches just can't handle NBA players.  I know I couldn't.  For instance, I have a hard time with Dennis Schröder's body language.  They way he walks around with his head down and walks off the court.  I know that is knit picking, but most good high school and college coaches would jerk a knot in him.  

• Moderators

Well I don't think they are going to show that stuff on TV.   The teams would balk at getting mic'd if it revealed specific strategy.    I did like Bud's mic from the bkn series (i think) where he's shouting all the usual stuff and then he stops and just says 'let's just play'.

• Like 1

They only seem to mic up when the coaches are giving their teams the pep talk.  You never see cameras around when they walk out on the court and draw something up.

There is also a lot of talk between the HC and their assistants.  The assistants usually then go talk to players one on one so there is a lot going there as well.  I think we're missing a lot, the media just wants us to feel like we're in the huddle as well when it's really not the same.

• Like 1

Well I don't think they are going to show that stuff on TV. The teams would balk at getting mic'd if it revealed specific strategy. I did like Bud's mic from the bkn series (i think) where he's shouting all the usual stuff and then he stops and just says 'let's just play'.

Exactly this. I'm sure there is a lot of specific matchup / strategy stuff discussed, more or less depending in the particular coach and situation. But there is no way coaches are going to allow them to play specific strategy stuff on air. I'm sure there is some restriction imposed, eithet expresslu or impliedly, that only the pep talk stuff can be aired.

And yes, that one Bud moment where he cuts himself off mid sentence, sighs, and then says, "Let`s just play" really stuck out in my mind, too.

• Like 1