• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If the 2016 cap projection holds true, re-signing Sap and DMC will inherently be prudent

sturt

The Millsap comparison is the last table in this: http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/6/16/8191291/2015-nba-free-agency-paul-millsap-atlanta-hawks

You're on the right track of normalizing a contract value instead of looking at the raw figure. Things get a little screwy if you normalize with the cap because of exceptions, but that's probably the simplest and best way to deal with it for the purposes of this board.

• Premium Member

Looking at compensation as a percentage of the salary cap is a good way to perform analysis and ultimately make business decisions. music.gif

• Like 1

I understand the Hawks if they resign Sap and DMC probably won't have alot of room to sign others but can someone explain how the Cavs can manage to bring back all their players considering a number of them will want raises in salary.Also no way they make the 67 million dollars figure. I just don't see how the Hawks have to pinch pennies and the Cavs seem to manage despite the cap rules. Now there is talk Mo Williams wants to join the Cavs. 

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland_cavaliers/

Edited by thescout5

I understand the Hawks if they resign Sap and DMC probably won't have alot of room to sign others but can someone explain how the Cavs can manage to bring back all their players considering a number of them will want raises in salary.Also no way they make the 67 million dollars figure. I just don't see how the Hawks have to pinch pennies and the Cavs seem to manage despite the cap rules. Now there is talk Mo Williams wants to join the Cavs. 

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland_cavaliers/

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/380693-cba-team-related-issues/

Use that as a guide to figure out how the Salary Cap works. It used to be stickied on the board for people to get a better grip on things.

Thanks hawksfanatic!

No problem. The short answer would be "Cavs have exceptions" but that should give you some insight on the exceptions (rights to their free agents, mid level exception, and a $10m nonguaranteed contract for Haywood). They aren't going to operate with any cap space. The Hawks probably will operate with cap space, which limits their options.

Thanks for the info Hawksfanatic. Just reading all those rules you can tell it was done by many lawyers. If this then that and if not that this etc etc. Many different variables involved making itdifficult to understand. Should be here is the 67 million cap. A team can go over it to sign their own. Instead we have all these conditions which makes a person's head spin. I'll read up on the exceptions but it just seems like certain teams find ways to manuever the cap and others just do ther minimum to put players on the court. Anyway thanks for the feedback.

The cap is expected to jump again in 2017 I believe, so the deals will look even better then.

The other consideration though is that when the cap jumps next year, we won't have much cap space resigning all these guys. I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head but we'll basically have zero cap next year after resigning these guys. We will have some exceptions though, I think.

There's one way to create some cap space which won't be done but here it is. Trade Teague which opens up 8 million,have Sap sign for 16 million and Carroll probably 10 million. If Carroll refuses then bye bye. Replace Teague with the 15th pick point guard and Hawks receive the 6th pick or little lower and draft Winslow or Mario. Winslow can play both sg and small forward. The loss of Carroll while it would hurt Hawks could find someone in free agency below 10 million to play sf. If you keep Carroll then you still have a decent amount saved by trading Teague. Hawks could afford a big to play pf or center.

There's one way to create some cap space which won't be done but here it is. Trade Teague which opens up 8 million,have Sap sign for 16 million and Carroll probably 10 million. If Carroll refuses then bye bye. Replace Teague with the 15th pick point guard and Hawks receive the 6th pick or little lower and draft Winslow or Mario. Winslow can play both sg and small forward. The loss of Carroll while it would hurt Hawks could find someone in free agency below 10 million to play sf. If you keep Carroll then you still have a decent amount saved by trading Teague. Hawks could afford a big to play pf or center.

And then we have 3 highly paid bigs and no starting PG?

The cap is expected to jump again in 2017 I believe, so the deals will look even better then.

The other consideration though is that when the cap jumps next year, we won't have much cap space resigning all these guys. I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head but we'll basically have zero cap next year after resigning these guys. We will have some exceptions though, I think.

We will have plenty of cap in the following season. Mack and scott will come off the books, we have full bird rights on Horford and we dont have the ability to venture far past the cap this season.

Schröder ould start and the rookie at 15 would back him up.Right now Hawks have no bigs that can rebound,block shots so something must be done.

The team would take a major step back under your scenario.  Guard penetration is of utmost importance and we would be completely reliable on Schröder who is hot-headed and inconsistent.