• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone else nervous about free agency?

tdawg2617

We have a lot of flexibility, but it's obvious that our free agents are wanted and more than likely will be overpaid by someone. Just hope we have a plan b and c that's fluid because the top guys are usually quick to decide.

I think I'm more nervous that we'll just re-sign our guys and not even explore upgrades.  I like both DMC and Sap, but there are quite a few options at SF and maybe a few more at PF that could make us better.  

I think I'm more nervous that we'll just re-sign our guys and not even explore upgrades.  I like both DMC and Sap, but there are quite a few options at SF and maybe a few more at PF that could make us better.  

Thats EXACTLY whats gonna happen. They will sign DMC and Sap and EXTEND Pero Antić's contract..............lmao

Thats EXACTLY whats gonna happen. They will sign DMC and Sap and EXTEND Pero Antić's contract..............lmao

Maybe, maybe not.  I kinda think their hands will be forced by one of DMC or Sap being lured away.  I kinda hope the Sap-to-Utah thing happens and we end up with Favors somehow.

Lastly, lay off Pero man.

Maybe, maybe not.  I kinda think their hands will be forced by one of DMC or Sap being lured away.  I kinda hope the Sap-to-Utah thing happens and we end up with Favors somehow.

Lastly, lay off Pero man.

Nothing short of signing Aldridge, Sap or DMC, and dumping Pero will get the Hawks anywhere NEAR a championship.

• Like 1

At least we are being mentioned by top level FA's this year because they want to come here and not using our cap space to try and drive up their price where they really want to go. Several rumor sites have said LMA is very intrigued about playing beside Al Horford and that he would love to play in Bud's system. Most sites have him in San Antonio or LAL but he will share minutes with Duncan or ply at center so I think that will be a discouragement. The Lakers have the mystic but if he wants to win a ring they are still a long way away.

For the first time in ages a top level FA looking to win a title can realistically decide they are the piece to put the Hawks over the top. If Aldridge came to Atlanta they can easily tell him he would be the number one option in the offense. He would play along side a multiple time All-Star center and with an All- Star point guard. Plus the path to the finals is way easier in the East. Especially now that LeBron is talking about opting out and maybe breaking up the Cavs. Outside the Cavs and Bulls there's not really another team considered to be contenders.

In no way do I think it's a lock, or even likely, but if we did sign Aldridgre and resign DMC I think we're the best team in the East. We would have two versatile studs at PF & C. An elite wing defender with a steadily improving offensive game in DMC. Maybe the best one - two combo at PG in the league if Dennis makes similar improvements in year three, when most players make a big jump in production. We would also have the best pure shooter in the league.

Our second team of Dennis, Hardaway or Baze, Thabo, and Moose would be strong. I would love to see us try and land and a bruiser at the five with our mid level exception maybe the Wizards back up center.

Having been a Hawks fan for too long I know this probably never happens and we resign Sap or DMC and lose one add some mid level player and end up at best a push on team quality; but at least this year I think there is a possibility the first All-Star FA since Dikembe actually may sign this year.

I'm nervous we won't keep DMC and Sap (or replace Sap with LA/Gasol)

I'll be happy if we are able to keep the core together as we are a system team and replacing 3 starters like some people want is not how this team will improve and grow

My ideal offseason is to get green or wes and then re-sign DMC/Sap for bird's rights

But I don't think DMC will sign for that little

Edited by Nicholasp27

Bismack Biyombo could be a steal with a mid level to bring size, rebounding, and rim defense if we did sign LMA couldn't recall his name in my first post

• Moderators

Bismack Biyombo could be a steal with a mid level to bring size, rebounding, and rim defense if we did sign LMA couldn't recall his name in my first post

Pretty sure we don't have the mid-level exception - just the room exception.

Ohh didn't realize that but I will be the first to tell you I'm no cap wizard. Would we get if we exceeded the lux cap signing LMA and DMC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

Think back two years ago when the Hawks signed Carroll and Millsap.  Millsap was a known quantity and we probably wondered how he would fit in given he played the same position as Horford (or at least the position many would like to see him play).  I bet most said "Who" when we signed Carroll.

Fast forward two years later and we see why both were signed.  Player and talent evaluation is important, especially with the system we have implemented.  I'd like to think it was a team approach in deciding to sign both players.  One could categorize both a 'bargain basement' players that we got a huge return on investment.  I'm comfortable that we can upgrade the team with a key free agent that will both complement and upgrade what we are building in the ATL.

Let's not forget that the presence of Grant Hill can also help with player recruitment.  It has been reported that he wants to focus on the management side of things however I'm sure if he is needed to help with convincing the right person to come the ATL, he would get involved.

IMO, this will be an exciting offseason.  It will be interesting to see what we look like in October.

Why be nervous - at worse we lose our own free agents, don't sign any of the top A and B level free agents, sign C-level free agents to 1 year deals, trade Al, Teague and Korver, tank the season and voilla #1 pick in next season's draft, but wait we will then trade it away.blum3.gif

• Moderators

Ohh didn't realize that but I will be the first to tell you I'm no cap wizard. Would we get if we exceeded the lux cap signing LMA and DMC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'd have it next year.

After our "politely" put, putrid display on draft night, I would hope that we don't stay status quo.  Get creative, do what you have to do, but I'm not wanting another "can't get past the Cavs" type of year.  The regular season...we'll do well status quo.  But as teams improve, we need to improve as well.