• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Steve Holman live tweets Q&A 3rd quarter

RandomFan

Steve Holman had a live tweet Q&A session with fans during the 3rd quarter of tonights game. There are a few interesting observations in here.

Editing, tweets didn't turn out correctly first time.

Edited by RandomFan

• Like 2

Expects Bazemore to step up in DMC's absence. Thabo as well.

Thinks we made the steps to reach Finals. Health is the key, as is playing well in the playoffs and getting a top 4 seed.

Holiday will be this year's Bazemore.  Hardaway better than the 19th pick.

Dodged question regarding Edy's impact this year. Basically implying he'd be a practice player that learns a lot this year.

I still have a feeling we will acquire a starting small forward before season begins

I think a lot of us feel that way. But I'm also starting to prepare myself for this being our roster, with another minimum salary addition like a Glen Robinson III to fill out the 15th spot.

• Admin

I think a lot of us feel that way. But I'm also starting to prepare myself for this being our roster, with another minimum salary addition like a Glen Robinson III to fill out the 15th spot.

i hope not ... I hope we get a guy who can man the SF spot for us ... I don't like the idea of and undersized Bazemore getting extended minutes there. I am good with picking up GRIII if we make a 2 for 1 trade for a SF and a spot opens up for him.

i hope not ... I hope we get a guy who can man the SF spot for us ... I don't like the idea of and undersized Bazemore getting extended minutes there. I am good with picking up GRIII if we make a 2 for 1 trade for a SF and a spot opens up for him.

Why does everyone feel bazemore have to play the SF role in the starting lineup?

Bazemore has all the tools to be just like DMC but in a SG body and he's more athletic.

Since Bazemore can play defense lets not force him to play SF and have his defense ability at an disadvantage against bigger opponents at that position. Instead lets play korver at the SF position like we have before.

Some of you act like korver is a lock down player and he isn't no matter the position he's going to give us the same results. One of the reasons korver looked better defending Sgs opposed to Sfs is because this season we played great TEAM defense! Something we had never done until THIS season. So korver can succeed at SF too on defense just like he did at SG as long as we keep the team defense concept going.

I rather play bazemore at SG that way there's no disadvantage and he can really showcase his defense skills against an opponent that's his size. It makes no sense not to let korver guard opponents his own size and force bazemore to guard opponents not his own size.

Some of you are really blind on korvers defense! Most SGs he face will be quicker than him though he would be bigger than most and most SFs are his exact size with the exception of some being bigger than him like lebron or melo who's bigger than most SFs.

If Baze is going to start Baze needs to play SG and Korver at SF. We will get a better defense out of that, regardless we have to keep playing TEAM defense anyways.

Edited by JTB

Why does everyone feel bazemore have to play the SF role in the starting lineup?

Bazemore has all the tools to be just like DMC but in a SG body and he's more athletic.

Since Bazemore can play defense lets not force him to play SF and have his defense ability at an disadvantage against bigger opponents at that position. Instead lets play korver at the SF position like we have before.

Some of you act like korver is a lock down player and he isn't no matter the position he's going to give us the same results. One of the reasons korver looked better defending Sgs opposed to Sfs is because this season we played great TEAM defense! Something we had never done until THIS season. So korver can succeed at SF too on defense just like he did at SG as long as we keep the team defense concept going.

I rather play bazemore at SG that way there's no disadvantage and he can really showcase his defense skills against an opponent that's his size. It makes no sense not to let korver guard opponents his own size and force bazemore to guard opponents not his own size.

Some of you are really blind on korvers defense! Most SGs he face will be quicker than him though he would be bigger than most and most SFs are his exact size with the exception of some being bigger than him like lebron or melo who's bigger than most SFs.

If Baze is going to start Baze needs to play SG and Korver at SF. We will get a better defense out of that, regardless we have to keep playing TEAM defense anyways.

I agree with you in principle that Bazemore will be OK guarding most teams, but you also fail to recognize something fairly significant. We don't actually have a SG and SF position on defense, or offense for that matter - we have interchangeable Wings. It doesn't really matter what position you call them, they do the same thing on defense and offense. And we've never gone with straight matchups that would put our so-called SG on their SG, and SF on thier SF per se. We've always put our best wing defender on the other team's best perimeter offensive threat. That player was usually Carroll, and Thabo when healthy, and Bazemore as the season and injuries progressed.

Obviously this puts Korver on the other player, whether that player is the other team's SG or SF really doesn't matter. Most teams usually don't have two athletically outstanding and skilled players at both the SG and SF. The size difference really only becomes an issue when we have to face the large SF types like Lebron or Melo, as you mentioned. Those will be the times we probably will see Millsap take on some more wing minutes to defend those guys.

So what you are arguing for is something we've already been doing, and will continue to do.

I'm starting to look at it this way: last year we went into the season with 3 players viewed as strong wing defenders - Carroll, Thabo, Bazemore. This year we have the same number of 3 strong wing defenders - Thabo, Bazemore, Holiday. We've sacrificed some size obviously, but we still have the same number of strong wing defenders we headed into last season with. I'm really starting to think unless a perfect trade comes along, this might be our 2015 roster, with one minimum contract addition still to come.

After hearing Bud talking at the game today, I'm thinking that when Thabo is healthy, he'll be the starting wing along with Korver. Followed by Baze and then Holiday, as far as defenders go. Hardaway will be Korver's backup.

Edited by RandomFan

I agree with you in principle that Bazemore will be OK guarding most teams, but you also fail to recognize something fairly significant. We don't actually have a SG and SF position on defense, or offense for that matter - we have interchangeable Wings. It doesn't really matter what position you call them, they do the same thing on defense and offense. And we've never gone with straight matchups that would put our so-called SG on their SG, and SF on thier SF per se. We've always put our best wing defender on the other team's best perimeter offensive threat. That player was usually Carroll, and Thabo when healthy, and Bazemore as the season and injuries progressed.

Obviously this puts Korver on the other player, whether that player is the other team's SG or SF really doesn't matter. Most teams usually don't have two athletically outstanding and skilled players at both the SG and SF. The size difference really only becomes an issue when we have to face the large SF types like Lebron or Melo, as you mentioned. Those will be the times we probably will see Millsap take on some more wing minutes to defend those guys.

So what you are arguing for is something we've already been doing, and will continue to do.

I'm starting to look at it this way: last year we went into the season with 3 players viewed as strong wing defenders - Carroll, Thabo, Bazemore. This year we have the same number of 3 strong wing defenders - Thabo, Bazemore, Holiday. We've sacrificed some size obviously, but we still have the same number of strong wing defenders we headed into last season with. I'm really starting to think unless a perfect trade comes along, this might be our 2015 roster, with one minimum contract addition still to come.

After hearing Bud talking at the game today, I'm thinking that when Thabo is healthy, he'll be the starting wing along with Korver. Followed by Baze and then Holiday, as far as defenders go. Hardaway will be Korver's backup.

Agree with every thing you said! Nicely written up o made add too but yeah that makes perfect sense and I knew this but failed to mention this like you pointed out.

To sum all this up I think most hawk fans are concerned about our top wing defender being someone that has SF size rather than a SG size more so than they are worried about that player being a legit SF or not......By the way I didn't try to make that sound like I was saying Baze is our top defender because clearly Thabo is but since many see Thabos injury as a BIG concern most are automatically putting Baze as our best defender and that seems to bring concern to many.

You made a good point when you said we still have 3 strong wing defenders but since Thabo is still hurt and likely won't be playing at the beginning of the season and just for the fact that we don't really know how Thabos body will respond after a severe injury...it's really like we have just 2 strong wing defenders.

Anyways I want to make one more comment based on the bigger SFs. Ya see to me Carroll was undersized against bigger SFs too. Regardless of what many want to believe DMC couldn't guard Lebron or Melo once they started playing strong ball around the goal and getting easy inside buckets anyways therefore even if DMC was still here I think Bud would switch a bigger defender like Sap or Scott on them in important games (playoffs) moving forward. Thabo actually could probably handle them if healthy but DMC displayed in the playoffs that he was too weak.

Pretty much agree with the last two posts. Last year with Kyle and DMC, Kyle often found himself guarding SFs anyways if the opponents SG was the better offensive player and I fully expect that to be the case again this year. And I also agree that DMC was a little overrated defensively against bigger players. His combination of catch and shoot offense and defensive tenacity will be missed though as we dont have another player proven to be as good as him on both ends of the floor. So here is to Baze and Holiday and potentially GRIII improving to the point that they may be as effective as DMC but off the bench

Also I want to go on record as saying that I think Thabo will be huge for us this season. People are really sleeping on the fact that he has been a starter on Contenders for years and one of the leagues best defenders FOR YEARS. His lone season with us and people want to forget that. Yes he has to get back healthy but when he does we are going to be in great shape with him as a starter.

My only worries are depth and injuries