• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Training camp news from C-Viv: Petteway in the fold

sturt

• Premium Member

To no one's surprise, Patterson will be in camp. To the surprise of some, no doubt, the first otherwise-uncommitted SL player committed to camp is Petteway.

No doubt, GRob3 and Ashley are surveying their options still.

This puts the Hawks up to 16 contracts, they can have up to 20 during the off-season but then need to get down to 15 on the first day of the NBA regular season.

Also, this is not at all surprising to see Patterson signed. The Hawks had to give him a required tender (1 year minimum valued contract that doesn't need to be guaranteed) by September 5th anyway to retain his rights. I think Patterson would have taken that if it came down to it.

• Premium Member

What was curious to me was that it's reported as a two year contract. What does that actually mean? I don't get why it would be for anything more than just this training camp.

What was curious to me was that it's reported as a two year contract. What does that actually mean? I don't get why it would be for anything more than just this training camp.

There is no such thing as a training camp contract. (err...probably shouldn't say this and open up a can of worms....these things just aren't important)

Hawks sign them to two-year contracts because...well why wouldn't you? The guarantees are likely only for the first season and the contracts are likely for the minimum. So they are signed via the minimum player exception or possibly with the Room MLE if they necessitate a starting salary above the ~$500k minimum. Why would you only want to retain Non-Bird Rights on a player with a one-year contract? The low cost of an unguaranteed second year would dictate signing to a 2-year contract to gain Early Bird Rights. And if the Hawks weren't over the cap, I am positive they would have pushed for a 3-year contract with all of these guys just like how the rest of the current crop of 2nd rounders and undrafted players will be signing for around this time.

Edited by hawksfanatic

Honestly Lamar doesn't get enough praise as he should.  He is an extremely crafty and smart basketball player.  He reminds me of Paul Pierce in their body types and the fact that neither have blow by speed, but make veteran moves to get open.  He could provide a lot of good things to the team as a wing and as a PG in short periods of time.

With that being said, I also love Ashley, GRIII, and Petteway.  If we traded Mack and Scott to keep 3 of these 4 and acquire either a draft pick or a starting quality SF (keep 2 of 4), I would do it.  I am honestly rooting for all of these guys, but probably rooting for Ashley the most.  Whoever we don't sign, I hope that we can sign in the future.

Noticing a trend with players Bud likes?

Teague: 1, 2

Shredder: 1, 2

Patterson: 1, 2, 3

Kover: 2, 3

THJr: 2, 3

Sef: 2, 3

Blaze: 2, 3

Holiday: 2, 3

Petteway: 2, 3

Sap: 3, 4

Scott: 3, 4

Moose: 4, 5

Horf: 4, 5

Splitter: 4,5

Edy is the only player on the squad who can only play 1 position...

• Like 1

The "Positionless" player route is getting popular, another reason why I always want us to get players from UK lol They always produce players that can play more than one spot 

• Like 2

Same head shape and mustache too lol

Andre Miller an ole social worker looking azz (insert Hulk Hogan reference).

I hope that comparison bears somewhat true in headiness, I know Patterson isn't the passer Miller is. I always respected his fast turtle game. George Karl singled him out as one of the smartest players he's been around in that NBATV coaches roundtable , although I hate George Karl.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Patterson is 6'5 and not very athletic. The loss of DMC was tough but I thought the Hawks would find someone to help take some of his minutes. Someone with similar size and athleticism. Someone that can guard big athletic 2's and 3's. Well... to this point they haven't addressed that issue at all. Holiday is not the answer... he is scrawny and 2 inches shorter. Thabo can defend but theres no guarantee his broke ass leg is going to be healed and last year he was DMC's backup. So now he is going to have to start ( if he is healthy ) and there is nobody on the bench that can guard big/athletic wings. I'm disappointed. 

Personally, I'd like for Dennis to be there with Edy and be limited to only 1 position as well.  That said, I'm curious to see how these new guys work out.  

Edited by Mdizzle5
  • Like 1