• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tiago Splitter Pick 'n Roll

aali34

• Premium Member

This adds in another dimension to this team. Not that we had bad pick and roll players, but this will make everyone on the team better. If you watch closely, you can see that even though he has an open layup/dunk someone on the wing is sometimes open. Much better than people daring Pero to shoot.

This will help Kyle avoid having to run like 10 miles for an open look.

Another thing you notice is that he doesn't try to just dunk on every possession. He goes for reverses, pump fakes, up and unders, etc. This makes up for him not having a big vertical. 

Edited by aali34
  • Like 3

If Al did that he would live at the free throw line. Al doesn't roll to the basket enough, he picks n pops, I guess having an Al-omatic mid-range jump shot will do that.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

If Al did that he would live at the free throw line. Al doesn't roll to the basket enough, he picks n pops, I guess having an Al-omatic mid-range jump shot will do that.

I agree but surprisingly horford and sap where in the top 10 for most points rolling to the basket in a recent article I read but I can't remember where I read it...if I find it I will post it here

Anyways I thought like you did but actually does roll to rim quite often

We got a lot more passing lanes off the roll now between he and Edy with the extra long arms above their heads, although the youngster has a ways to go in terms of the quick hand-eye coordination of Splitter to adjust to his wide catching radius. Can't sleep on Moose either: I'm expecting a big improvement in his post play with Tiago's addition. He moves his feet very well in his own right.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

10 year plan, getting splitter might have been the best thing we ever did for the Hawks future. Having a super high BBIQ player like Splitter mentoring Edy can be nothing but great for his development.

Man if we could get Edy or Moose to play like splitter in the future how great would that be? And I don't think it's asking too much at all. Splitter is good but he's not a star so if Edy and Moose can get to his level at the least of their careers we are going to be DEEP at center for a long damn time!

Horford is only 29 and Splitter 31 I believe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Splitter saw trade from Spurs coming

ATLANTA — For Tiago Splitter, this particular day at the beach was no day at the beach.

Splitter was at home in his native Brazil this summer, on a day off from working the basketball camp that bears his name, when he and his brother decided to soak up some sun and surf.

That’s where he was when he took the call from Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, informing Splitter he had been traded to Atlanta.

“I expected it,” Splitter said before Wednesday’s preseason game against his old team. “I don’t say I love it, but I expected it.

Splitter had heard the rumblings about the Spurs’ offseason plans to swing for the free agency fences.

“I knew the changes they wanted to do with this franchise,” he said. “I knew they wanted to bring a new superstar to the team. The way they could do that was to trade somebody.”

Splitter’s trade after five seasons and one championship with the Spurs helped the team clear space to make an ultimately successful run at All-Star big man LaMarcus Aldridge.

Just because he understood the Spurs rationale didn’t make the news easier to digest, Splitter said.

The call wasn’t an easy one for Popovich to make, either.

“That’s the business part that shows its ugly head every once in a while,” Popovich said. “If we wanted to add the talent we added, we had to do something, because you can’t pay everybody.

Being reunited with former Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer in Atlanta helped soften the blow somewhat for Splitter.

“Once I accepted it, Atlanta was the best option,” Splitter said. “I really like the team I’m with now.”

Popovich spoke glowingly of Splitter before the game, calling him a player who will “do all the dirty work and be a factor in winning games.”

Splitter was beloved by his teammates in San Antonio, as evidenced by the guest list that accompanied him to dinner Tuesday: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Boris Diaw, Patty Mills and Matt Bonner.

“I wished them luck and they wished me luck, and that was it,” Splitter said. “I’m on a different path now.”

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Splitter-saw-trade-from-Spurs-coming-6571501.php?t=9f2c3c7bcf927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-premium