• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Observations from tonight

capstone21

The Hawks looked exactly like the team we saw in the ECF. Couldnt rebound, couldnt score, no ball movement, our center getting bullied, and no shot creators other than the pg's. 

Its only game 1 but its clear Thabo is our only true sf. If Patterson turns into a player then the Hardaway trade  looks even worse. We could have drafted a young wing or big .

We have to hope Thabo stays healthy although history is not on our side. No way they can stand pat at the deadline this year. The wing is going to be an issue.

• Like 1

@Sarcatic1 what wings would you have preferred us draft at 15?  I don't think there were any good prospects to be had by then.

I'm not too worried about game 1.  We looked like we were sleep-walking but that's how we've looked the past 3 seasons.  IOW, it'll get better.  What exacerbated it was the fact that DET has a roster that takes advantage of our weaknesses as it is.

I would calm down on the panic about Detroit's offensive rebounds. From my spot in the arena, Drummond was allowed to push and foul our big men who had position on him every time. I'm not blaming the game on officiating though, we still couldn't make shots when it counted.

It also seemed like our guys were playing lackadaisical and not taking Detroit seriously, like they felt like they could come back at any second, can't keep playing that way this year. 

Also it looks like our PG situation will come to a head this year, Dennis was noticably upset about coming back out for Teague who wasn't playing well. Thabo and Darvin Ham had to talk to him and calm him down during a timeout.

40 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We get beat by Detroit the same way every time....Bud is too arrogant to change.

We were 3-1 vs DET last season tho?

Look, I want us to value rebounding more but let's not jump off the deep bridge (huh?)  Like @LucastheThird and his awful avatar said, we looked lackadaisacal and Teague didn't have it last night.

Dennis got the Hawks back in the game first half playing a normal PG game. Surely the second half some things like 3's where forced, but thats kinda what you have to do with such a big divide on the scoring-board. Scoring wasnt the problem.

The reason why we lost was the D and offense in the 3rd and also the  D in the 4th where any run was flattened quickly.  Baze is a benchplayer. We could have used a Morris instead. One that can also be a body in the paint for an Al or Paul leaping out. I get that Bud rather likes quick dudes on the 3, but Baze is just headless and will be that way for ever and ever.

I really liked what I seen from Patterson. A big relief, because Hardaway and that younger brother from NO' PG stink. Patterson has a good head on his shoulder and is a pure SG. In an extended role he could mean allot more. Whatever touches he got where solid.

Anyway, season starts are not our specialty. We need time to click. Even more so now carrol is gone and Korver still out of sync. We can really only start the ball movement when Korvers dimension is added to the game.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We were 3-1 vs DET last season tho?

Look, I want us to value rebounding more but let's not jump off the deep bridge (huh?)  Like @LucastheThird and his awful avatar said, we looked lackadaisacal and Teague didn't have it last night.

Go ahead and keep making excuses for our poor rebounding and questionable personnel grouping but it is un acceptable to get out rebounded by 18 period and it needs to be fixed...Stop blaming others for this problem like Jeff Teague.

I was worried as soon as I saw Detroit had Morris and Ilyasova in the front court next to Drummond. All three of those guys have given us trouble in the past and now they're on the same team. Combine that with hot 3pt shooting and it's a wrap for us.

Edited by High5

• Premium Member

I dont understand when we were getting killed in the second half on the boards that Splitter was not in the game.   Bud is a small ball guy and that is what he likes.   I believe if Edy had been on the roster and played 10 minutes we win.  Edy is a rebounder and shotblocker,  Drummond would still push him around at this point but there would have been hesitation by Detroit in the lane and they would not have gotten all of those offensive rebounds.

Teague was far from fine last night. Had a Rose-esque bad night in which he scored points but was essentially ineffective because of high TO and low AST.

Schröder didn’t have many assists either but at least he didn’t turn it over much. He was the better option last night at PG.

I’m afraid the best option for the starting lineup may be starting both PGs together and starting one of the rim protectors that are on the bench or starting Patterson and moving Korver to SF.

38 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Go ahead and keep making excuses for our poor rebounding and questionable personnel grouping but it is un acceptable to get out rebounded by 18 period and it needs to be fixed...Stop blaming others for this problem like Jeff Teague.

What?  I'm not blaming anyone.  I don't like our rebounding woes either but I'm also not writing off the season based on 1 game.  The coach said this offseason that rebounding was a focal point this year.  Let's wait a while before (we go tooo far .. who sung that song?) we go crazy with the criticism.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

What?  I'm not blaming anyone.  I don't like our rebounding woes either but I'm also not writing off the season based on 1 game.  The coach said this offseason that rebounding was a focal point this year.  Let's wait a while before (we go tooo far .. who sung that song?) we go crazy with the criticism.

1 game????  did you sleep through last season and the playoffs?

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Teague was far from fine last night. Had a Rose-esque bad night in which he scored points but was essentially ineffective because of high TO and low AST.

Schröder didn’t have many assists either but at least he didn’t turn it over much. He was the better option last night at PG.

I’m afraid the best option for the starting lineup may be starting both PGs together and starting one of the rim protectors that are on the bench or starting Patterson and moving Korver to SF.

Again, sure it was not the fluently ball movement everyone loved last year, but on the other side it was not that they refused to pass. You can't have nice assist stats when no one is actually hitting that basket.

And on a side note: The drama over one lost game (board, chat) is actually quite entertaining. (Trade Teague, bench Teague, ...)

1 minute ago, Ekyo said:

Again, sure it was not the fluently ball movement everyone loved last year, but on the other side it was not that they refused to pass. You can't have nice assist stats when no one is actually hitting that basket.

And on a side note: The drama over one lost game (board, chat) is actually quite entertaining. (Trade Teague, bench Teague, ...)

Teague is the whipping boy around here, although his play last night does warrant some concern. We'll see in the next few games if they get it together.

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

1 game????  did you sleep through last season and the playoffs?

Yes, yes I did.  We're not having the same conversation it appears.  Bottom line for me is (a) we had rebounding issues, (b) Budz claimed to be aware and they were working on fixing them, (c) game 1 did not show improvement, however, (d) I'm not ready to write off this season based off 1 game of bad results.