• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Three Options for the Hawks at the deadline

Stand down

This has become the norm for Atlanta at the deadline over the last few seasons and it is again an option. The Hawks currently have 15 players on their roster and could swing a minor deal if they want to open up a roster spot or add some depth to the frontcourt given Tiago Splitter's injury situation.

Atlanta is currently 31-24 and in fourth place in the Eastern Conference standings. Despite their up and down play, they are still in line to host a first-round playoff series. While I think it is dangerous to simply wait around for the proverbial switch to flip, they could decide to stay put in the hopes that they can put together a good stretch to gain some separation in the standings.

I don't think that decision would be unreasonable even if their play over the first 50+ games this season suggests that it is unlikely to happen. Under this scenario, the Hawks realize that they are not a championship contender and are a long shot at best to get back to the conference finals. Still there is value in being a playoff team and they would still have the offseason to either tweak or significantly rebuild the roster.

Tweak it

This would involve the Hawks trading one (or more) of their core players in hopes of improving themselves for a playoff run. Moving Jeff Teague makes the most sense in this scenario given that the Hawks have Dennis Schröder already on the roster. While I'm unsure of what Teague's value really is, several teams have reportedly shown interest and that is likely to increase as the deadline draws closer. Teague is under contract through next season for a modest $8 million.

In my opinion, a Teague deal would have to return either help on the wing or in the frontcourt where Tiago Splitter's situation is murky at best heading into the second half. Moving Teague would also provide the opportunity for Schröder to play as the starter and would give the Hawks the second half of the season to further evaluate him as their point guard of the future.

For a team like Atlanta who values their continuity, this would be a risky move. Still, the team's play during the first half of the season hasn't been reassuring and a move may need to be made in an effort to jump start things.

Blow it up

This is by far the most unlikeliest of the three paths that have been discussed here. This would involve a major trade and likely would include Al Horford. While Horford is likely to have substantial value at the deadline, it is highly unlikely that the Hawks would get a return that would make them better this season. That would essentially mean punting on their current fourth place standing and jumpstarting a rebuilding or retooling effort.

If the Hawks decided to go down this path, then a major roster shakeup would likely be in order and the team would be smart to gauge the value of their other veteran players.

This is the nuclear option and likely wouldn't sit well with an ownership group that is in the midst of its first season in charge. Mike Budenholzer has said publicly that keeping Horford is a priority for the team this summer. However, if they are now unsure that he is interested in staying or they are unwilling to pay what it may take to keep him, then it might be smart to take a look at what they could get at the deadline and get a head start on retooling the roster.

Given that the Hawks have seemed to have been searching for answers to their inconsistent play all season long, it certainly feels like something significant could happen at the trade deadline next week. But I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if they decide to double down on this group and worry about retooling this summer.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/2/12/10975948/nba-trade-rumors-atlanta-hawks-three-possible-outcomes

If I were betting on it I would bet that we don't make any big moves. Perhaps something minor where we throw a 2nd round pick to a team to free up cap space for them or some crap like that. We'll go into the offseason with the same questions about Al and Teague and then we'll rinse, lather, repeat with next years squad and FA to be players. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

If I were betting on it I would bet that we don't make any big moves. Perhaps something minor where we throw a 2nd round pick to a team to free up cap space for them or some crap like that. We'll go into the offseason with the same questions about Al and Teague and then we'll rinse, lather, repeat with next years squad and FA to be players. 

I think you are probably right.  Next year we'll have our $25 million per year, 4 rebound center, and Teague and Schröder will continue to try to one up each other, unless Teague asks to be traded, which i think is highly possible.

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

I think you are probably right.  Next year we'll have our $25 million per year, 4 rebound center, and Teague and Schröder will continue to try to one up each other, unless Teague asks to be traded, which i think is highly possible.

After seeing the same thing year after year I don't know how anyone could expect anything else. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

I think Teague likes it here. It just feels like the second the trade rumors about him started he began playing WAY better. Like he was going "Oh shit, don't want to leave".  Frankly I think our offense works perfectly for him and I think (hope) he understands that too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blazemore said:

I think Teague likes it here. It just feels like the second the trade rumors about him started he began playing WAY better. Like he was going "Oh shit, don't want to leave".  Frankly I think our offense works perfectly for him and I think (hope) he understands that too.

I'm not necessarily of the opinion Teague needs to be moved.  He certainly is at least a little better than Schröder presently, although Schröder is progressing rapidly.  I really like having both of them, but I don't know how common my sentiments are on the subject, and I think Schröder wants to be "the man."

8 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I'm not necessarily of the opinion Teague needs to be moved.  He certainly is at least a little better than Schröder presently, although Schröder is progressing rapidly.  I really like having both of them, but I don't know how common my sentiments are on the subject, and I think Schröder wants to be "the man."

Like Koonin said unless they get the value they want to upgrade the team now and in the future - no trade.

2 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I feel more or less the same way.  My problems with keeping both of them are:

A) They don't seem to play well together. This is by far my biggest problem. If we could have them both on the court and it have even have a TINY bit of success I'd want to keep both of them. I haven't looked at the numbers (if someone has them please share) but they seem to play very poorly together.

B) As you said, Schröder wants to start. If not this year, the next year. And honestly, as long as his progression doesn't come to a screeching halt I see very little reason not to allow him too.

And the reason I'd rather keep Schröder than Teague (although honestly...I like Teague more):

Schröder is our only young prospect whom I am confident belongs in the NBA. If we had more youth on our squad I'd rather keep Teague but as things are I really would rather hold on to our only proven draft pick since.....wow....Teague? Is it really Teague? Am I forgetting someone?

The only move I want to see if us swap Horford for Howard.  I'm not exactly a big fan of Howard but he is a true difference maker when he is focused.  See how it works through April and then decide if you want to retain him or just blow the team up and start over. This team can get to the ECFs with a focused Howard.  I don't see them going anywhere with the current Horford and no Splitter. 

15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Like Koonin said unless they get the value they want to upgrade the team now and in the future - no trade.

But here is the issue with me,

I starting to wonder if they even want to win a championship here in Atlanta because right now in my eyes, they just want that playoff revenue and that is all.  I can understand their point of view about getting upgrades but what is the upgrades of Al Horford and Jeff Teague, what about SF position, or any other position on this team.  I got a feeling that most of those upgrades is on the elite teams right now or on teams that stockpiling asset and will not get them up so lightly.  Sure that this team was one year removed from winning 60 games and went to the ECF as well but we can not live in the past and continue to think that this team will go back there again this year.  

Don't give me wrong I LOVE this team but I don't know what is their end game here, it is carrying the Larry O'Brian trophy or just adding playoff revenue and before anybody say that there is 14 teams that does not go to the playoff all of the time.  We got the second longest streak in the NBA in going to the playoffs (it is like Braves numbers now) and I just tried of other fans calling up treadmill team.

• Like 1