• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do people think of Luke Walton Hire?

• Admin

I think it is a mistake on both sides ... Lakers are a very young team that have huge egos ... i don't know if a 36 year old inexperienced Walton is prepared to handle them.  

He hasn't proven anything yet as he had a stacked team that was playing on automatic ... I am surprised the Lakers who are use to being a winning team was willing to take a chance on a guy who has not coached more then half a season (rumors were practices were run by Kerr).

It will be hard to attract the big name free agents with him as your coach ... at least until he can prove himself

• Moderators

The most likely outcome is that the team will struggle with young players the next few years and he'll end up getting canned before the climb out of the dregs of the league.  As a superstar free agent, I'd avoid them like the plague.

My first reaction is it was a mistake for him to take that job.  He could sit and wait for a better opportunity on a more vet-laden team.  Kerr's back isn't all the way ... back to there's even a chance that job may open up if he has to step away.

After thinking about it, it was clear he was LAL's guy from the beginning.  Hence why they waited until Thibs and other viable vet candidates were hired until announcing their opening.  I presume they don't expect him to walk in and win rings so I presume he'll be given time to turn it around.  He got a great deal considering he's a rookie HC and it's with a marquee (for better or worse) franchise.  Even if he fails, he got a payday and he could spin it as, "Well, the talent sucked and everybody knew it".  Then could land on the retread-mobile.

Agree LAL better not think he can carry what he did in GS to the LAL job.  Personnel is, shall we say, slightly different.

Any bigtime free agent considering them better not say it's about anything but the money.

I actually think the Lakers are complete idiots for this move, but if I'm Walton I'm smiling until I get canned like tuna in a year or two. Ever since senior Buss passed away that organization has been god awful. They made a couple awesome draft picks in Russell and Randle but if they don't have a good coach to guide them and develop them then they are screwed too. Walton was waaaaaaaay overrated, just because he had a perfect record through 23 or 24 games, hell @kg01 could have done that. Lol. No offense :-)

11 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I actually think the Lakers are complete idiots for this move, but if I'm Walton I'm smiling until I get canned like tuna in a year or two. Ever since senior Buss passed away that organization has been god awful. They made a couple awesome draft picks in Russell and Randle but if they don't have a good coach to guide them and develop them then they are screwed too. Walton was waaaaaaaay overrated, just because he had a perfect record through 23 or 24 games, hell @kg01 could have done that. Lol. No offense :-)

I take offense to your suggestion that Randle was an "awesome" pick.  Dude is aiight at best.  They should've traded him while they could still fool folks into thinking he was decent.  Oh well, I gotta remember who I'm talking to.  The man who still thinks a certain HorCat's player is anything more than below average. #DeadHorseBeating

• Moderators

He averaged a double-double in his first season so I don't think there is any need to dog Randle.  He isn't ever going to be an absolute beast because of his length and defense, but he should be productive.  His 19.5% rebound% crushes anyone on our team (Sap led us at 15.1%).

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

He averaged a double-double in his first season so I don't think there is any need to dog Randle.  He isn't ever going to be an absolute beast because of his length and defense, but he should be productive.  His 19.5% rebound% crushes anyone on our team (Sap led us at 15.1%).

Whatever

Blah, blah, bleh ... he's the second coming of Brandon Bass plus he doesn't defend.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Blah, blah, bleh ... he's the second coming of Brandon Bass plus he doesn't defend.

Brandon Bass seasons in the NBA 11.  Seasons averaging a double-double 0.  Career high RPG 6.2 (career 12.0% rebound%).

Julius Randle seasons in the NBA 1.  Seasons averaging a double-double 1.  Career high RPG 10.2 (career 19.5%).

They are mirror images, right?  Check out their age 21 seasons.  Hardly any difference.   Other than Julius being way better by every metric and number.

As for defense, glad to know you agree with me.  That is kind of why I said his defense and length would keep him from ever being great.  

Kerr's staff has done as well as humanly possible the last two seasons, Luke was the "associate head."  He's proven to me he's a fine coach.  The franchise he's going to, not so much.  It's like bringing a 5 Star chef groceries from Food Depot.

Right now they only have three starters or four if  you  count Nance. I think only Randle would start on a winning team now. How much patience will the Lakers have. I believe Walton will have two or three years to win. Odds aren't good for him.

Thinking about this more and the Laker's may keep their first round pick (not sure) and have cap space galore. So it's really gonna be up to Mitch to make it doable. He's pulled off big moves in the past. Interesting to see their roster on opening day. 

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Tuesday  May 16th - NBA Draft Lottery.

Is it Tuesday or May 16th...cuz it can't be both professor. Monday is the 16th not Tuesday ...lol

21 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Is it Tuesday or May 16th...cuz it can't be both professor. Monday is the 16th not Tuesday ...lol

One is correct. lol