• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Areas to improve this offseason

NBASupes

31 minutes ago, Mdizzle5 said:

I'm just gonna say it. The unpopular option: Blow it up. If Bud is such a good development guy and coach, it shouldn't matter what the team looks like. I don't see the team as constructed, getting the things that put us over the top by continuing the WLOC and getting 2nd Rd agreeable talent to try to patch the holes on this ship. We aren't Spurs East, we're Spurs Least.

Yes, the lotto years were awful. I haven't forgotten. However, how is just making the playoffs really that much better? Financially, sure but getting destroyed isn't going to maintain the playoff money.

Someone's got to assume responsibility of the product. Someone's got to be disappointed and say enough is enough. It's been half a century. 

I wouldn't say it's unpopular, more so unlikely.

If the Hawks went back to being a lotto team wouldn't be so bad IF THEY PICK THE RIGHT PLAYERS.  Billy Knight handicapped the franchise terribly by not picking the best players thus you had an extended era of losing. If you had a GM that knew how t evaluate players the franchise would reap the benefits. Having Bud making the decisions on the players not sure if that is good. Yeah he should know what he needs but as we see with his coaching in the playoffs alot to be desired.

Bud is such a good coach, we would end up with 7-14. Not ideal at all. That's mediocre rebuilding which is worse than being a good or very good team. How many teams with very good coaches have tanked well?

1 hour ago, SonNumberOne said:

GM.  Fellow by the name of Ferry comes to mind.

Ferry is overrated IMO. You look at his drafting record, if he drafted better, Hawks would be in better shape than they are now.

• Like 4

Just now, BigDog90 said:

Ferry is overrated IMO. You look at his drafting record, if he drafted better, Hawks would be in better shape than they are now.

Middleton and Hood over Jenkins and Payne. 

I am happy with the PG position. Teague and Dennis are our future. Resign both but both need to be shopped during the draft for a substantial offer. Nothing less. I am talking Mario Hezonja, etc. For Dennis, even a top-4-7 pick depending on who's available is an option. 

I am questionable at SG. Korver is still a regular season starter but his days are done as a playoff starter. Is Tim Hardaway Jr the future at SG? Still to be determine. I would love an upgrade. 

This is our weakness. While Thabo is fine as a backup SF, he's a terrible starter. Bazemore while a solid player is just an average impact player and an average fit and he can be replaced. We need a SF with size. Deng, Batum, Barnes, Green and Gallanari needs to be targets in FA and for trade if the value makes sense for us. 

For PF, I am fine with Sap, Scott or Horford. No complaints. Sap needs to be on the market like the PG's but the offer needs to be VERY substantial. 

For C, I am fine, resign Al, I like Splitter if healthy, I like Hump if brought back, I like Edy and Mike is fine. I would like to move Al to PF but if it happens, great, if not, ol well. I would like to add a backup center who can really score in the paint and a center if Millsap is traded like Noah. 

I am fine with this team but changes need to be made if available. 

Supes, why should we keep this team together? I thought we had a chance at winning this series, but the Hawks completely bottled it. I used to think that over time, the Hawks would become better than the Cavs as Lebron's ability naturally declined however that's simply not happening.

If we keep this team together, it will get worse. Bazemore may receive an offer we can't match. Korver isn't starting quality on this team anymore. He'd do well for someone like the Thunder who have bigger offensive threats, but his defense is now a liability. Teague has hit his peak and while he's good, he's not great. I'm honestly not sure if Millsap will get any better. He's had his best year to date, but he's also getting older. He's not really someone we can count past 3 years or so (this I could be completely wrong on).

And as far as I'm concerned with Horford, he can go. This series was supposed to get him his biggest contract to date. And then he goes and grabs 1 rebound, I mean WTF. I know basketball isn't that simple but he can go, he's regressed since Bud has come. I won't be mad if we want to resign him, but giving him a max contract will lock this team into at least 5 years of mediocrity- similar to what Joe's deal did.

I believed in this team and they showed the world they don't have what it takes. I don't think we need to tank, but if we don't work towards getting a star on the team it'll just be more of the same.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Supes, why should we keep this team together? I thought we had a chance at winning this series, but the Hawks completely bottled it. I used to think that over time, the Hawks would become better than the Cavs as Lebron's ability naturally declined however that's simply not happening.

If we keep this team together, it will get worse. Bazemore may receive an offer we can't match. Korver isn't starting quality on this team anymore. He'd do well for someone like the Thunder who have bigger offensive threats, but his defense is now a liability. Teague has hit his peak and while he's good, he's not great. I'm honestly not sure if Millsap will get any better. He's had his best year to date, but he's also getting older. He's not really someone we can count past 3 years or so (this I could be completely wrong on).

And as far as I'm concerned with Horford, he can go. This series was supposed to get him his biggest contract to date. And then he goes and grabs 1 rebound, I mean WTF. I know basketball isn't that simple but he can go, he's regressed since Bud has come. I won't be mad if we want to resign him, but giving him a max contract will lock this team into at least 5 years of mediocrity- similar to what Joe's deal did.

I believed in this team and they showed the world they don't have what it takes. I don't think we need to tank, but if we don't work towards getting a star on the team it'll just be more of the same.

Because you have a good core. You have a cornerstone in Horford. You been a top half team for most of your years in the last 10 years and Horford been the main piece. You got a great coach and your organization wants to be a contender.  That's why. 

Now, the better question to me would be. Do you think it's reasonable we start looking all every option and seeing what's available? Yes, I do. Everyone is on the block outside of Horford and Bazemore who are FA's. So this team should be looking at upgrades and talent upgrades in all packages and if nothing is reasonable, stand pat. 

Rebounding chances. Al spent a lot of time on the perimeter today. A lot of time. It was part of Cleveland's gameplan. Sometimes, you guys stat watch but make horrible low BBIQ statements. This being one of the biggest ones. Now if Horford was out chea missing rebounds or not boxing out, it would be one thing but that wasn't the case. 

How is Al still a cornerstone. In the past two years, what has done that makes you say "I'll pay as much as it takes to keep him on this roster", because that's what a max contract means. I'm not saying he had a bad game, but he (and the rest of the team) showed he's not good enough if we want to win a title.

And nah, Horford just wasn't good enough on the boards. With him on the perimeter yeah, he won't grab as many rebounds. But the Cavs get too many offensive rebounding opportunities against us. You can call it "low BBQ" but he wasn't getting it.

So if Al is playing outside then your power forward needs to get the boards and it ain't happening. If you look at championship teams and teams that want to be champs they our always trying to find ways to beat their head hunchos of the league. Boston in the 80's were champs then came the Pistons then the Bulls etc etc. You find hat you need and go out and get it. I don't see that with the Hawks (however the owner as only had the team 1 yr). After watching the Cavs embarrass the Hawks don't you think some big changes are needed? Its to bad Mason Plumlee isn't available Portland stole him. Same with Kanter with OKC. Why can't the Hawks find a big man that can board and move Horford to pf? Sap gets eaten up by bigger players when trying to score. The is no consistent sf and sg. I see alot of holes and to make just a few minor changes won't get it done. I would put everyone onthe  market just to see what they could bring.I think Conley of Memphis is a free agent? If so Teague and Schröder won't be first choice but there as got to be some team wanting a young point guard that could offer a good package. Philly needs a point guard in the worst way.I would try to deal with them for Okafor.   If not noah sign him as free agent and maybe you could deal a point guard for a sf or sg. Not sure if sap as alot of trade value he is 30ish. 

No way you want to bring near the same team back your just asking to get bounced like the last 2 yrs in embarassng fashion v the Cavs.

@NBASupes I love you man but please stop  saying Al is a 'CORNERSTONE' - No he's  not.

A cornerstone is someone  is if you remove it everything with crumble  - Al is not that  guy.

A cornerstone is what you build a strong foundation on - Al is not that guy.

Having said that, Al is still a good piece  for the Hawks to work WITH. Do I want him back? Yes. Do I want him back on a max deal? Heck No. But I'm  a realist and understand  enough about the NBA economics and cap to know it just might happen.

I don't see how bringing  back this same exact team next year brings us closer  to the LOB.  We need more than a marginal upgrade at SF. There was a reason Teague and Al were rumored to be part of trade discussions  at the trade deadline. Granted they didn't  get what they wanted and needed so they kept them. I take no issue with that because I think you only trade for what you need not for what you can get.

Teague and Dennis are not FAs this offseason so I'm  confused about resigning  them part then shopping  them. I do agree that they will be shopped during this draft.

If Kyle is no longer a playoff starter, there's  no reason to start  him in the regular season.

Our 'best' players just  aren't good enough in term of talent and mindset.

21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@NBASupes I love you man but please stop  saying Al is a 'CORNERSTONE' - No he's  not.

A cornerstone is someone  is if you remove it everything with crumble  - Al is not that  guy.

A cornerstone is what you build a strong foundation on - Al is not that guy.

Having said that, Al is still a good piece  for the Hawks to work WITH. Do I want him back? Yes. Do I want him back on a max deal? Heck No. But I'm  a realist and understand  enough about the NBA economics and cap to know it just might happen.

I don't see how bringing  back this same exact team next year brings us closer  to the LOB.  We need more than a marginal upgrade at SF. There was a reason Teague and Al were rumored to be part of trade discussions  at the trade deadline. Granted they didn't  get what they wanted and needed so they kept them. I take no issue with that because I think you only trade for what you need not for what you can get.

Teague and Dennis are not FAs this offseason so I'm  confused about resigning  them part then shopping  them. I do agree that they will be shopped during this draft.

If Kyle is no longer a playoff starter, there's  no reason to start  him in the regular season.

Our 'best' players just  aren't good enough in term of talent and mindset.

He's not a cornerstone talent. That's reserved for LeBron, Durant, Curry and legit elite players.

Horford is a cornerstone for our franchise is what I meant. The Hawks stated that, not just me. It was on Peachtree hoops. 

Everybody was on the block during the deadline, it wasn't just Jeff and Al but the what Atlanta wanted and still wants is high.

Korver is still our most impactful starter in the regular season by analytics. With that said, he doesn't need to start in the playoffs ever again. These last three seasons are proof.

28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's not a cornerstone talent. That's reserved for LeBron, Durant, Curry and legit elite players.

Horford is a cornerstone for our franchise is what I meant. The Hawks stated that, not just me. It was on Peachtree hoops. 

Everybody was on the block during the deadline, it wasn't just Jeff and Al but the what Atlanta wanted and still wants is high.

Korver is still our most impactful starter in the regular season by analytics. With that said, he doesn't need to start in the playoffs ever again. These last three seasons are proof.

No, no, no - we have to WANT more  for this team than Al as our cornerstone. 

It's  one thing to pay him the money because economics dictate you do but if the thinking is he's  something  you build around, then...........

Honestly, I don't think we are a "rebuild" type of team. We are more of a "retool" type of team. I agree that Al Horford isn't a cornerstone guy, but sadly he may be the best option that WE would have this offseason. Personally, I think we need to look at some major changes. This group has gone as far as it can in the playoffs. Everybody on our roster should be expendable and available via trade in my opinion. We need to build a team that has players who can make some noise in the playoffs, some players with heart. In my opinion, we might only have a few of those guys on our roster. Personally I would try and retain Horford (unless we could get a good return for him) Dennis, and maybe Thabo. Honestly, everybody else just has no heart and is soft as hell. 

The he guys I want to trade immediately are Teague and Millsap. I know we just gave Millsap a new contract but that was before the cap going up so I think it's a good contract for a team that might want him. Also, I love some regular season Teague, but playoff Teague is nonchalant, lackadaisical and just flat out indecisive and scared. I'd look to deal him on draft night or next all star game at the latest. And lastly, Korver might be done. I love his professionalism but either he adds the ability to cut to the basket a lot more and many other facets to his game (like being able to put the ball on the floor) or he needs to exit as well. 

Retool, retool then retool some more. I want guys that will fight in the playoffs and not just lay down and die.

• Premium Member

What contending teams are actually going to offer or have the money to offer Horford a full four year max deal?  If he wants to go play for a mediocre or lottery team just because they can give him a full four year max deal, then let him.  But I doubt he does.  With the ability to offer a fifth year, I don't think it will take a max contract to keep Horford.

• Like 1