• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it possible... Capologist?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Is it possible for us to Trade Teague and Splitter to Houston for D12 SNT... then still have money for a middle of the road SF (i.e. Jeff Green, Michael Beasley)  before reuping Horf (~81 million over 4)?

It's obviously possible. It depends on the salary and if Atlanta wants or even values Howard for all that is listed. Dwight is kinda a shell of him old self but just to be diplomatic...

Say Dwight wants 20 million 1st year and we sign Bazemore to a 12 million 1st year with Horford 18 million cap hold. We would need 15 million to sign him. Clearly, Jeff and Splitter would cover that at 16.5. 

Now, the better question is, is the value there for this? No.

But lets be a total one star poster. 

Say we let Horford go because we want to be foolish. We now 36 million in cap space. Say Dwight wants 20 million on the low end. We would have 16 million. But say Diesel wants Bazemore at 12 million 1st yr. 4 million. Say you do a SnT for Dwight with the said package. 20.5 million of cap room.

So yes, you will have money for a wing. Any but the max level ones.

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

But lets be a total one star poster. 

Say we let Horford go because we want to be foolish. We now 36 million in cap space. Say Dwight wants 20 million on the low end. We would have 16 million. But say Diesel wants Bazemore at 12 million 1st yr. 4 million. Say you do a SnT for Dwight with the said package. 20.5 million of cap room.

So yes, you will have money for a wing. Any but the max level ones.

*gasp* Did Supes just advocate trading Al?!

WTF?

Oh ok, ok, reading comp. just kicked in.  Whew.  Almost had a Fred G. moment.

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Why would we sign and trade vs. just signing him?   We can trade guys anywhere to make room a la Aldridge/Splitter.

Well, we lose salary on a SNT.  Houston is in need of a Good PG..> I think they'd do well with Teague.. He's damn near a perfect fit.   They also get a BU C in Splitter.   Now, we have Sap, D12, and Horfs Caphold.  With that, can we get a Sf.  Maybe not Durant but could we get somebody of good quality.  I said Jeff Green because Bud has a mancrush on Green.   However, Even Barnes...

Or maybe before resigning Baze, we go after Durant?  IS that possible?

21 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Well, we lose salary on a SNT.  Houston is in need of a Good PG..> I think they'd do well with Teague.. He's damn near a perfect fit.   They also get a BU C in Splitter.   Now, we have Sap, D12, and Horfs Caphold.  With that, can we get a Sf.  Maybe not Durant but could we get somebody of good quality.  I said Jeff Green because Bud has a mancrush on Green.   However, Even Barnes...

Or maybe before resigning Baze, we go after Durant?  IS that possible?

@DieselSplitter and Teague makes $16.5 million. What salary are you pegging D12 at? Salaries  have to be close.

I don't  think Dwight takes $16.5 mil when his max is $32 mil. Dwight is making $22 mil this season - he'll  be looking for a raise.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@DieselSplitter and Teague makes $16.5 million. What salary are you pegging D12 at? Salaries  have to be close.

I don't  think Dwight takes $16.5 mil when his max is $32 mil.

Maybe 22.  I don't think anybody pays D12 32 after the Lakers and Houston stints.  So we lose about 6.5 Million cap  on the trade. We can give him a 2 year $50 million deal with an option on the 2nd year.   If on the second year he believes that he has proven his worth better, he can go out while the cap will still be rising and get a better deal.

A three headed monster of D12, Horf, and Sap is interesting.

• Moderators

What Dwight gets on his next deal is a fascinating question.  He clearly is not what he used to be but in this inflated era is someone going to bet on him returning to his former glory?

Put it this way @Diesel - if we trade Splitter for a pick, renounce Baze, Kirk and Hump we'll have ~$25 in capspace (minus capholds, can't  remember  what those  account  for off hand) for D12 and wing. Assuming Everybody  else stays.

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Maybe 22.  I don't think anybody pays D12 32 after the Lakers and Houston stints.  So we lose about 6.5 Million cap  on the trade. We can give him a 2 year $50 million deal with an option on the 2nd year.   If on the second year he believes that he has proven his worth better, he can go out while the cap will still be rising and get a better deal.

A three headed monster of D12, Horf, and Sap is interesting.

Like I said, he's  currently making $22 mil.

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

His option next year is for $23.3M.  He is unlikely to walk if he thinks he won't at least get that much.

My thoughts were IF we were serious about Dwight, would he be willing to pick up that option year and you could trade for him on the $23 million $ salary.  If you moved Millsap, Teague, Splitter and renounced all FA's like Scott, Muscala, Bazemore, Humphries, etc...would you have enough to re-sign Horf, trade for Dwight AND get a legit SF?  

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

My thoughts were IF we were serious about Dwight, would he be willing to pick up that option year and you could trade for him on the $23 million $ salary.  If you moved Millsap, Teague, Splitter and renounced all FA's like Scott, Muscala, Bazemore, Humphries, etc...would you have enough to re-sign Horf, trade for Dwight AND get a legit SF?  

I think so.  You could basically move Sap and Moose for Dwight (throw in Patterson if needed).  That gives you space to resign Horford and >$10M for a SF.  You then have a lineup of:

PG:  Dennis / Min FA or draft pick

SG:  Korver / THJr

SF:  FA / Thabo

PF:  Horford / Min FA or draft pick

C:  Dwight / Edy

+3 min salary FAs

If you get your SF FA for less than your cap space, you could also add some to your Min FAs (if you sign a SF for $8M, you might have another $3M or so to spread around).

People talk about Whiteside's low BBIQ but all those rebounds and blocking all those shots are enticing. He actually scores pretty well on just a few shots. Always comes down to the money. He can't be as much of a diva as D12. That would be impossible,right? 

• Like 1

In other words, there are no good value to bring Dwight to Atlanta unless you SnT Splitter for him but that means no SF or Bazemore. Honestly, I'll rather Splitter due to his salary being very good for a backup big.

That's a hell no.

Yea, you just can't rewind to D12's Orlando days. That said he was a problem in both L.A. and now in Houston. Don't think Bud wants to tolerate him with so much baggage.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yea, you just can't rewind to D12's Orlando days. That said he was a problem in both L.A. and now in Houston. Don't think Bud wants to tolerate him with so much baggage.

Honestly I think the problem is more Harden then anyone else.  His prima dona attitude,  being a huge ball hog and his inability to guard a paper bag ... Its hard for a player like Howard to excel when he is relegated to getting rebounds and putbacks ... Harden doesn't look for anyone except when he is forced to pass and even then he chooses to sometimes force a bad shot up.   DH12 needs people to look to feed him in the post and let him try to work and that is not going to happen with Harden handling the ball 90% of the time.  Another reason why a playmaking point guard like Lawson wouldn't work there either.