• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Look at the Hawks Offseason

ramblinhawk2727

• Premium Member

You are about to be fired by the AL Horford fan club.

I hate to admit it but I believe that Bud is beholden by Al Horford.    I would love to see us with Baze and Howard but I don't think that's possible either.

It will be an interesting offseason.

Jaylen Brown or Taurean Prince may make the difference in a few yrs.

• Moderators

Thanks for sharing!

Here are a few reactions on my part:

I have concern that Coach Bud is far too loyal to his players and will try to keep Al, but giving him anything over $10 million a year will be a mistake. 

I get the frustration but this is so far off market you might as well say $1.  I we could get Al back for $12M it would not be a mistake but a huge concession on his part.  It won't happen.  In today's NBA, even role players get significant money.  The best case for an Al resign (as far as contract goes) is something like Sap.

I think if Atlanta can sign Kent anywhere from $6-9 million it'd be a good move.

His numbers are not quite as good as former Hawks guard Demarre Carroll's who cashed $15 million a year from Toronto last offseason so I believe the Hawks will be able to keep him in the price range I previously stated

Again, I think you are underestimating the FA market.  I think Bazemore will get too much and is already one foot out the door in Atlanta.

Hinrich would be a good, cheap option as a veteran backup point guard if the Hawks decide to deal Jeff Teague

I think Hinrich is done and could not be a #2 PG anymore.  He can probably handle being #3 for another year.

Teague and Horford were both talked about being traded during the season but now it is time to let Dennis Schröder take the reign of starting point guard and get some return on Teague. 

I think Bud made his choice clear in the playoffs.  I agree.

A couple other random notes:

I love Ulis as a backup PG.  He has such a great feel for the game.

I doubt Teague lands the kind of pick you are looking for.  1 season away from UFA.

Beal I like even though I hold my breath with his health.  As a SF, though, I think he is physically overmatched.  I don't want us to play two SGs at the 2/3 again this season.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Did Bud make his choice or was Bud playing GM??

You know what Bud did there?  He added value to Dennis.   What if he sees an opportunity to trade Dennis?

It was a young George Hill that got San Antonio a Kawhi Leonard a few years back.   What if this is Bud's way of getting Jaylen Brown?

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You know what Bud did there?  He added value to Dennis.   What if he sees an opportunity to trade Dennis?

It was a young George Hill that got San Antonio a Kawhi Leonard a few years back.   What if this is Bud's way of getting Jaylen Brown?

Bud was not throwing games to give Dennis bigger exposure.  He was playing to win by playing Dennis and benching Dennis.  I'm not saying that Bud might not trade Dennis, but he didn't play Dennis against the Cavs to feature him for a trade.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That  makes no sense. Let's  up Dennis's value by losing G4 of a finals on the way to another sweep.

This is a 'trying  too hard' moment.

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bud was not throwing games to give Dennis bigger exposure.  He was playing to win by playing Dennis and benching Dennis.  I'm not saying that Bud might not trade Dennis, but he didn't play Dennis against the Cavs to feature him for a trade.

Who said anything about throwing the game.   The rumor is that Teague was injured a bit.  Why not kill two birds with one stone.   Showcase Dennis who you know will "take over" the game and at the same time, not put Teague in position to be injured any further.   Then in the offseason, you can leverage one or the other.   Right now, Dennis has more trade value than Teague.  I see George Hill getting you Leonard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Who said anything about throwing the game.   The rumor is that Teague was injured a bit.  Why not kill two birds with one stone.   Showcase Dennis who you know will "take over" the game and at the same time, not put Teague in position to be injured any further.   Then in the offseason, you can leverage one or the other.   Right now, Dennis has more trade value than Teague.  I see George Hill getting you Leonard.

lolol no he doesn't. You're not getting much for guards that have a completely broken jumper and both have totally broken jumpers.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

lolol no he doesn't. You're not getting much for guards that have a completely broken jumper and both have totally broken jumpers.

Dennis is a better three point shooter (34.3%) than Jeff (25%) and his shot is only improving. I would definitely think Dennis has higher value considering he's only 3 years into his career and still has a chance to become a stud while we've pretty much seen what Teague is. 

Dennis is younger than Teague, Hawks might try to build around Dennis, i really dont want to see Teague go, but Hawks really need to trade for talent if they want to be a contending team. Also, honestly im tired seeing Bud keep switching Teague and Dennis back n forth in most 4th quarters, like he cant decide whos really to start. I know Bud really love his players just listening from his interviews, but Teague and Dennis can't really be in the same team because both of them are really good point guards, and  too good to be a bench player. One of them have to go somewhere to be a starter in another team.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 1

I just want to see a clear product upgrade on paper.  It's ironic, my most memorable, entertaining, promising playoff runs are the Hawks as 8 seeds: the first without Jeff, the second without Al.  I've seen quite enough with them.  Jeff is an ultra-valuable expiring, there has to be a good deal out there.  Let Al walk because cmon man.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

I looked at the Cavs vs Hawks stats again and have to say Sap did score although it sure seemed he had less points. I think his inside game vs TT Sap couldn't do much and when you need points without an inside game your in trouble. Horford his issue was both rebounds and points. As a center he should be leading the team or close to it. We just saw the Spurs get ate up vs OKC due to the lack of rebounding. The Hawks need to correct this obviously. Al definitely does not deserve the max and if you do give it to him what is that saying about stats plus other players will want the same. The league is going to smaller lineups thus Mozgov probably not on the list for the hawks if Al leaves. Not sure there as got to be someone out there that can rebound and score a bit the hawks don't need an all world player. 

Got to find a wing(S) player(s). Baz will be gone he'll want to much. No do not come back with Hardaway being a starter. Hawks need to add talent meaning better outside shooters. You can only keep riding the same talent you have for so long and the way the Cavs destroyed the Hawks its obvious alot more talent is needed. It still comes down does Hawk management really want to win? As fans we all want to win championships but owners might have a different agenda. We shall see how bad the Hawks wants to win this off season. 

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Lurker said:

So you don't think a 22 year old PG who plays statistically similar with maybe a better 3 point shot is not more value than Teague?

Lurker.. Hate Teague much?

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I'm not sure we put so much effort in developing Dennis just to trade him. Everything points to a Teague trade in my opinion. 

Did we put that much effort in Developing him??  Dennis could get us a top ten pick (#6 by my estimation).   That's a shot at getting a bonafide star in this league.  You would have thought that San Antonio spent a lot of time developing George Hill too.

Since they call me the Necromancer...

After every selection of the NBA draft and no mention of a trade involving the San Antonio Spurs, I breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe the Spurs were going to give it a go next season with the same core that reeled off 61 wins last season.

Then, like Biz Markie “my heart went down south” when news broke of the George Hill trade to Indiana for the 15th overall pick. I have to be honest; my first reaction was one of shock and disgust. Why Georgy Porgy, why Indiana George?

This is how people here will feel if we trade Dennis for #6.  However, Brown could be a game changer for us.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Did we put that much effort in Developing him??  Dennis could get us a top ten pick (#6 by my estimation).   That's a shot at getting a bonafide star in this league.  You would have thought that San Antonio spent a lot of time developing George Hill too.

Since they call me the Necromancer...

This is how people here will feel if we trade Dennis for #6.  However, Brown could be a game changer for us.

Actually if you asked me a few days ago I would have said no. But if we are guaranteed to get Brown, I would swap Dennis for Brown. It's gonna be higher than 6th though, I think 3-5. Most likely at #4. If Philly gets the 4th pick I'd trade them Dennis straight up for the 4th pick. But that doesn't mean I want Teague back though, I'd look to swap Teague for a vet point that can get Sap and Horford involved more in the offense. Not sure if that could be Conley from the Grizz or not, but somebody like him. 

I love Dennis but I'm extremely high on Jaylen Brown.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

So you don't think a 22 year old PG who plays statistically similar with maybe a better 3 point shot is not more value than Teague?

Lurker.. Hate Teague much?

I don't hate Teague, I hate the people that overrate him big time. Last year in the first half of the season, those people have a point. Second half and the 15/16 season, no. Even when he's been allowed free to do what he wants, he hasn't been exactly convincing that it's been the right decision.

The answer may be neither PG.

• Like 1

I think your possibly on to something Lurker both Dennis and Teague might not be the right answer. You can rack up stats in Bud's system but that doesn't make you an elite point guard who makes the right decision at the right time. The Hawks need to have a point guard who can do this. Dennis seems to have tunnel vision and not include other players when playing. He goes straight for the hoop trying to score. Sure you want to be aggressive but don't forget your main job is to set up other players. Teague seems to rack up nice stats but again when it comes to making the right play during clutch time he as failed more times than not. I'm for whoever brings the most back in a deal. One needs to play full time the other traded because both should  be starters.

On 5/13/2016 at 5:42 PM, ramblinhawk2727 said:

Solid post. 

I agree about Al's position issue. However, but 10 million a year is a rip off. With the way the cap is going up, 10 million will be back up center salary. 

I like what you said about Baze. However, again with the cap rising, 6-9 million a year is more like backup shooting guard salary. Baze played good at starting SG against the Cavs. Maybe the Hawks could stick with Baze as starter and Korver as the backup.  10 million would be reasonable. Shump got that last summer. Not sure if I'd want Thabo as starting SF. No backcourt defense would be coming off the bench besides Dennis,

Yes, they got to bring Hump back. I'm not really sold on Hinrich.

I'm not a fan of Scott. I'd much rather see Hump get his minutes, because of Scott's horrible defense, Al had to play minutes at PF since Love was killing him.

Beal is a RFA,  I doubt WAS would let him go. He'll probably get the max deal.  You spelled Eric Gordon wrong. Gordon would be a good fit in the system since he can shoot. I'm not too familiar with his defense. His injury history is alarming but maybe ATL's medical staff could fix him. He could be ATL's Ginobli. I wouldn't want Parsons, two major knee injuries in less than a year and I doubt he leaves Dallas. He seems tight with Cuban, even talking about recruiting Dwight to Dallas.

Jefferson is nice, but he said he wants to stay in Charlotte and take a paycut. Noah, I believe will stay in Chicago. His injury history and his bad shooting, I don't think he'd be a good fit for the Hawks unless he wanted to come off the bench. Zaza in ATL would be nice.

Knicks would be foolish to trade their only starting caliber center for Teague. I don't see why NO would trade their pick when they're rebuilding and need to get young players to grow along with AD. They already traded two firsts for Jrue. 

Just curious, what are your thoughts on Hardaway?