Adrian Woj re: Horford

mrhonline

We need to keep Horf at the end of the day. We started to become a respectful team when he arrive. Sure he is on the decline. He still has 3-4 good years left in him. Seriously what benefits would we get out of Horf leaving? We are not going to sign anyone worth a damn with that money.  So giving Horf the max isn't going to somehow cripple the franchise.

• Like 2

They have definitely started the shake up with Teague traded and Dennis will be playing over thirty minutes every game. That alone improves our PG starter defense. Need to figure out at least one decent quality vet that won't hurt us on the floor or in the locker room. Hopefully we have our new budding DMC type of SF in Prince. Of course there is plenty of room for more. We can always sign Al last.  

1 minute ago, WraithSentinel said:

We need to keep Horf at the end of the day. We started to become a respectful team when he arrive. Sure he is on the decline. He still has 3-4 good years left in him. Seriously what benefits would we get out of Horf leaving? We are not going to sign anyone worth a damn with that money.  So giving Horf the max isn't going to somehow cripple the franchise.

Exactly! When the salary cap hits 110 million or more in 2017, Horfords deal is not even going to be close to crippling us. In fact, if we don't have both him and SAP, or someone else in their place signed to a max, we will be hard pressed to hit the league minimums.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Are you going to give us your thoughts/plan or just bash others.

Not bashing, just keeping it real.  And I think the Hawks will be rebuilding in the next 3 to 5 years if they continue with these type of moves.  I'm rooting for Prince and Bembry to do well and be great, but they're probably role players.  Horford and Millsap as the teams best players won't be able to keep them in the upper half of the Eastern Conference much longer and it might not this year.

2 minutes ago, MrYellow said:

Hope we can stretch a 4y MAX over 5 years...

Otherwise I'd really lend an ear to the market

I want the market to set Horfords price as well. Problem is you have some big time teams with 30 million or more to spend. Horford will get paid.

Edited by Buzzard

7 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Not bashing, just keeping it real.  And I think the Hawks will be rebuilding in the next 3 to 5 years if they continue with these type of moves.  I'm rooting for Prince and Bembry to do well and be great, but they're probably role players.  Horford and Millsap as the teams best players won't be able to keep them in the upper half of the Eastern Conference much longer and it might not this year.

I don't see Bud as the type who likes to lose on a nightly basis. If we rebuild, it will be gradual through trades and draft picks; but I don't think he will ever have a fire sale. Bud and tanking do not seem like a good mesh IMO. He is to fiery and competitive for that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I want the market to set Horfords price as well. Problem is you have some big time teams with 30 million or more to spend. Horford will get paid.

Thing is, I'm worried that by giving Al a max contract we'll lose that cap flexibility vital to an average team like us (thanks God) not willing to tank.

...but I can't find many alternatives.

22 minutes ago, MrYellow said:

Thing is, I'm worried that by giving Al a max contract we'll lose that cap flexibility vital to an average team like us (thanks God) not willing to tank.

We are all about the system. That's how it is. With the cap moving up, we got cap flexibility 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I don't see Bud as the type who likes to lose on a nightly basis. If we rebuild, it will be gradual through trades and draft picks; but I don't think he will ever have a fire sale. Bud and tanking do not seem like a good mesh IMO. He is to fiery and competitive for that.

Bud is never going to deliberately tank, I agree.  But I won't be surprised if he continues to keep building around an aging Millsap and Horford.  I see other teams passing the Hawks if that's the plan.

Edited by Jody23

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I think that when it comes down to all this is the problem:

1.  Al is great and has been great but we all see the decline. 

His followers would say... well, it's the market and this year the market is thrown off kilter and there will be a whole lot of unworthy guys making big money.   They would also say that Al has done so much for the Hawks and he still does a lot of things well.   The problem is not what the market dictates, it's what we know will be coming back. Overnight, Al has gone from an Undersized C who put up elite numbers to an old stretch 4 who put up mediocre numbers.   The old Al is not walking back through that door.  I think there's a bit of contentment that Al has fallen into and he is fallen into acceptance of the decline that he's going through.

So for us who don't want to see us max out this guy for the next 5 years, it's not that we don't like Al.  It's not that we don't think other teams will come calling.   It's that we see the decline  and have rated him a non max player.    We have a knowledge that prolly 2 years down the road, Al won't be putting up good numbers at all but we will be paying him Lebron like Money to do it.   That means more of the 9/1/1 Nights.    But now, he will be making 25 Million dollars to do it.  And after those 2 years, we will still have 3 more years left with him. 

2.  Al was great as a C but he makes a mediocre PF. 

You say well, we can move him to the 4 after Sap is gone.   Al as a 4 is not better than Ryan Anderson.   Al's strength was being faster than most of the 5 and being able to guard most positions.   Well, Al is losing a step.  At the 4, Al will be matched up with 3s and be asked to guard them.  Wiggins is going to blow right past him.    There will be no more Paul Pierce.. There will be  Terrance Ross..  Even guys like Paul George are moving to the 4 spot.   That means that the 3 spot will have some fast little dude who will leave AL in their wake.

That's the problem.  It's not all money.. It's really about what kind of return will we get for Paying Al all this money.

Not enough.

Sure, I can see your point.  I don't agree with it, because I think that Al would have a longer career at PF and perform better at that position.  

Consider this:  what if Kevin Durant wants to play along side Al?  What if keeping Al also means having the inside track to signing KD?  How would you feel about paying Al the max under those circumstances?

2 hours ago, MrYellow said:

No we won't lose cap flexibility by re-signing Al.  Millsap, Thabo, Korver, Splitter, Scott, Moose are all free agents next offseason.  We will also have Full Bird rights on all our players.

Let's keep Al Horford, go after his buddy and team mate from college, Joakim Noah

and find that elusive back up PG, or maybe 2 of them.

Maximum?  It's only NBA money and someone will pay it if we choose not to.  Count on it.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  Hawks may not be great, but

constantly, year after year for a long time, they have been in the playoffs and have won

a lot of games when not playing Cleveland.

Other lesser teams, those that didn't make the playoffs or were behind us in the regular season

will look at our all star center.  They see that green grass in our field.