Schröder extension rumors

rd79

br: Dennis Schröder Contract: Latest News, Rumors on Negotiations with Hawks

Fresh off shipping Jeff Teague to the Indiana Pacers as part of a three-way deal, the Atlanta Hawks are preparing to make point guard Dennis Schröder a long-term contract offer.

Hawks Looking to Ink Schröder to New Deal
Monday, June 27 

Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical reported Atlanta is "committing to [Schröder] as its point guard of the future." 

Schröder, 22, is eligible for an extension July 1. The Hawks may offer him a five-year contract as their designated player, with the exact maximum price being determined by the 2017-18 cap. His rookie extension can be up to 25 percent of the salary cap; Schröder will not be eligible as a Rose Rule player, unless he wins the 2016-17 MVP.

Selected 17th overall in 2013, Schröder developed into one of the NBA's best bench guards. He averaged 11.0 points and 4.4 assists per game in 2015-16, finishing ninth in the Sixth Man of the Year award voting. The Hawks outscored opponents by 6.9 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor last season, per Basketball-Reference.com.

“In the future, I want to be a starting point guard,” Schröder said in May, per Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN.com. “Everybody knows it. But in the situation I was this year, I was fine with it. I played my minutes, and I just tried to get better. When the coaching staff and everybody decides I get the team [and start], I’m going to be ready for it.”

Atlanta opened its starting point guard spot by trading Teague and acquiring the No. 12 pick, which it used on Baylor swingman Taurean Prince. Schröder is the only point guard on the roster, though the Hawks will look for a backup in free agency.

The German's increasing responsibility is likely why the Hawks are looking to make a long-term deal now. Having started 16 career games, Schröder's in no position to command a maximum contract. Even if Atlanta offers him something around $20 million per season—a seeming overpay right now—it may look like a relative bargain if Schröder flourishes as a starter.

The NBA projected a $108 million cap for 2017-18 a year ago. With Shams Charania of The Vertical reporting a $94 million cap for next season—$2 million above projections—the 2017-18 number may even be low.

Schröder could then wind up commanding a starting maximum salary of around $25 million per season if he rewards Atlanta's faith. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rd79 said:

$20-$25 million for Schröder?    Really?  So much for cap space.  How about maybe we let him prove that he is worth that kind of money first. If Teague was costing us $8 or $9 million per year, that would be  more in line with what I would expect to pay Schröder.

• Like 1

Funny how that article throws Woj's name in the first sentence, which is simply referring to the fact that we've traded away our starting PG, and then goes on to speculate that the Hawks could offer the max to Schröder? Well, that escalated quickly...

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, DS5 said:

Funny how that article throws Woj's name in the first sentence, which is simply referring to the fact that we've traded away our starting PG, and then goes on to speculate that the Hawks could offer the max to Schröder? Well, that escalated quickly...

Thanks for calling my attention to that.... I missed that it's a BR article.

Guys, I love you all, but you really have to be a little more forthcoming, okay? This is the second time in two days that someone posts a blogger site as-if primary source reporting is being presented.

24 minutes ago, Watchman said:

$20-$25 million for Schröder?    Really?  So much for cap space.  How about maybe we let him prove that he is worth that kind of money first. If Teague was costing us $8 or $9 million per year, that would be  more in line with what I would expect to pay Schröder.

(First)off Teague  received his contract before that big mega TV deal came into place that's why he got that deal for $8 million a season.  (Secondly)I think Dennis Schröder is going to be better than Teague and I think he's going to prove his worth on his team starting next year. People please watch  Germany play this off-season an sit back in watch the young man do his thing.(third)I've been saying this a lot that the stats  doesn't lie we are a better team with Dennis Schröder on the floor on defense and on offense  Bye bye Teague  I'm not going to miss you. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Watchman said:

Making Dennis our designated player seems excessive but you can't use Teague's expiring deal as a benchmark.  It was signed with two major differences:  (1) free agents weren't getting nearly as much with a lower cap and less cap room around the league and (2) Teague was not pursued by a lot of teams.  Teague's next contract will be a big pay raise.  Dennis' will be well in excess of $8M/year.  Set your expectations accordingly.

• Like 1

For me it's really hard to estimate a players value in $M per. In Dennis case it's even harder because he came off the bench. 

There are several reasons for his game to improve

• He should be completely accustomed to life in the US and being a pro athlete there
  • He is more experienced
  • He has a lot room to improve because he is still very young

There are several things that may have an increasing or decreasing effect on a players game when he becomes a starter

• More talent around him should improve his effectiveness
  • Playing vs more talent will likely be a hit for his stats
  • Playing 15 mins more may  be a reason for a littles less defensive effort
  • Less preasure due to lower competition on the team (could be good or bad)

Should the Hawks extend his contract now? What would be a fair salary?
By the way -a new contract starts after this next season. So no effect on this years salary!

Since he is very young and seems to have a quite high ceiling I would say he should be worth at least what Bazemore will get this year as starting salary.
Next year the cap will rise at least $13M again... So I would say he should be worth at least $17M per year

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Making Dennis our designated player seems excessive but you can't use Teague's expiring deal as a benchmark.  It was signed with two major differences:  (1) free agents weren't getting nearly as much with a lower cap and less cap room around the league and (2) Teague was not pursued by a lot of teams.  Teague's next contract will be a big pay raise.  Dennis' will be well in excess of $8M/year.  Set your expectations accordingly.

I am well aware of the changes.  However, Schröder is worth closer to $8 - $9 million than $20 - $25 million.  He hasn't proven anything yet to be remotely considered for the higher amounts.    I would think $12 - $15 million would be a gracious plenty.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I am well aware of the changes.  However, Schröder is worth closer to $8 - $9 million than $20 - $25 million.  He hasn't proven anything yet to be remotely considered for the higher amounts.    I would think $12 - $15 million would be a gracious plenty.

We'll see.  I think he would be more desired after this season at 23 than DMC was leaving here.

I think Teague and Dennis would draw comparable offers today.

I could be wrong but it doesn't make sense to extend Schröder now.  His QO in 2017/18 is $3.8 million.  If we extend him now at the $20 mil, it counts against our 2017/18 cap space, so we just lost $16 mil in capspace we can use to sign a free agent.   Non Story.

30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I could be wrong but it doesn't make sense to extend Schröder now.  His QO in 2017/18 is $3.8 million.  If we extend him now at the $20 mil, it counts against our 2017/18 cap space, so we just lost $16 mil in capspace we can use to sign a free agent.   Non Story.

But if he is able to really put up his per36 stats, he would be a 24 yr old 20 & 8 guy and then one has to pay him the max or lose him in the worst case scenario after next season. Even guys with lower numbers are max candidates nowadays. Barnes etc.

It's kind of a bet. If Bud believes in him and his development he could save $7-10M cap space per for the next five years.

Btw: his QO rises to something above $4M if he starts 41+ (what I expect him to so)

Edited by rd79

1 hour ago, rd79 said:

But if he is able to really put up his per36 stats, he would be a 24 yr old 20 & 8 guy and then one has to pay him the max or lose him in the worst case scenario after next season. Even guys with lower numbers are max candidates nowadays. Barnes etc.

It's kind of a bet. If Bud believes in him and his development he could save $7-10M cap space per for the next five years.

Btw: his QO rises to something above $4M if he starts 41+ (what I expect him to so)

I'm not debating his stats and worth/value. 

I'm saying it's not good business and financial sense to extend him now  and loose the $16 mil in capspace for OTHER potential free agents.  We would still sign him in 2017 as a RFA  and exceed the cap to sign him even at the $20 million.

31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not debating his stats and worth/value. 

I'm saying it's not good business and financial sense to extend him now  and loose the $16 mil in capspace for OTHER potential free agents.  We would still sign him in 2017 as a RFA  and exceed the cap to sign him even at the $20 million.

I got your point, but I can't agree. You can't decide this without viewing bis value. If you have to play him $20-40M more over his contract or lose him for nothing a year later one could say that's bad business too. Especially if you don't have a great history of using cap space and attracting FAs...

Edited by rd79

I like Dennis a lot.  Signing him to a contract now makes a lot of sense and prevents other teams from over-inflating his value during his RFA period.  I could totally see the Hawks giving him an extension after they've singed all the FA's this summer and they know how much they have left in the bank.  

However, I think the max is a bit much.  10 to 14 mill per season makes more sense but, again, it depends on what our cap situation looks like after other signings.  The Hawks could back-load the contract to sweeten the deal.  For Dennis, the selling points are that he get's paid this year, and it reduces his risk of missing out on a lucrative deal should he get injured next season (knock on wood).  It also allows him to renegotiate his contract earlier.  The question is, would Dennis agree?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, rd79 said:

I got your point, but I can't agree. You can't decide this without viewing bis value. If you have to play him $20-40M more over his contract or lose him for nothing a year later one could say that's bad business too. Especially if you don't have a great history of using cap space and attracting FAs...

It really depends on our budget.  If you know you can spend up to the luxury tax then you follow JayBird's advice because that gives you more money to spend.  If you know you can't spend much over the cap then you go with your thought and sign him to the lower salary now if you think he will be worth more next offseason.  Since you wouldn't be spending any material amount over the cap anyway, the bird rights don't buy you anything extra so it is better to get the lower contract now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2016 at 8:48 AM, Watchman said:

I think Hawks could do like what the Spurs and Pistons did, keep Dennis' cap hold, sign their FAs then sign Dennis. 

On 6/28/2016 at 10:32 AM, rd79 said:

For me it's really hard to estimate a players value in $M per. In Dennis case it's even harder because he came off the bench. 

There are several reasons for his game to improve

• He should be completely accustomed to life in the US and being a pro athlete there
  • He is more experienced
  • He has a lot room to improve because he is still very young

There are several things that may have an increasing or decreasing effect on a players game when he becomes a starter

• More talent around him should improve his effectiveness
  • Playing vs more talent will likely be a hit for his stats
  • Playing 15 mins more may  be a reason for a littles less defensive effort
  • Less preasure due to lower competition on the team (could be good or bad)

Should the Hawks extend his contract now? What would be a fair salary?
By the way -a new contract starts after this next season. So no effect on this years salary!

Since he is very young and seems to have a quite high ceiling I would say he should be worth at least what Bazemore will get this year as starting salary.
Next year the cap will rise at least $13M again... So I would say he should be worth at least $17M per year

There's really no incentive for the Hawks to offer him a contract. He's going to get the max. The 2017 FA PG market is weak.