• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2s and 3s... The New Logjam.

Diesel

10 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I think another DMC can be found and plucked out of obscurity ... someone like Moe Harkless who no one knows about but needs the right system could come cheaper and provide that role.

We just drafted him. The dude named Prince.

10 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Sure, but it is usually two to three years before rookies of this caliber are ready to really contribute 

Prince is the kind of older, mature player that will probably be ready to go the 2nd half of this season. He will just need some exposure in our systems - much like Bazemore 2 years ago who rode the bench the entire 1st half of the season, then started getting solid backup minutes the 2nd half of the season.

Edited by RandomFan

14 hours ago, RandomFan said:

I understand where you are coming from, that you want a bigger wing. I somewhat agree that we need a bigger option there for certain matchups. But I would like to make clear that both Deng and Barnes are both only 6'7", which is only 1 inch taller than the 6'6" Thabo. Chandler Parsons actually is 6' 8.75" so he's legitimately taller by a good margin. However, Thabo has at least a 1.5 inch wingspan advantage on all 3 of them - one of the reasons he's such a good defender. Listed at 222, Thabo is not smallish.

Prince at 6' 6.5" is only a half inch shorter than Deng and Barnes. He has the size to turn into a good defender on the larger wings we might face.

Patterson at an even 6'4" is a quarter of an inch taller than Bazemore, with a 1/2 inch shorter wingspan. But he doesn't have Bazemore's elite athleticism that lets Baze get away with guarding most larger wings. I agree that Patterson isn't a SF for us; he's a combo guard/wing that will probably play mostly point guard for us going forward. He has good enough size for that.

Remember we don't have SG, SF, and PF designations. Bud uses Guards, Wings, and Bigs. I do understand you are probably talking about what positions each player can guard though, since we all know you are what you can guard.

If we are going to list players by what they can guard, then I'd go more like this:

SG: Baze @ 6' 3.75" / Hardaway @ 6' 4.5" / Bembry @ 6' 4.25" / Patterson @ 6' 4"

SF: Thabo @ 6'6" / Korver @ 6' 6.25" / Millsap @ 6' 6.25" / Prince @ 6 6.5"

I never understood why people think players play without shoes on.

Edited by Cwell
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cwell said:

........and the don't block shots with their head either. Height is meaningless. Standing reach and wingspan are what matters. The 6'7'' guy could have a better standing reach then the 6'9'' guy. Barnes refused to have his standing reach measured at the combine. Barnes appears to have a longer than average neck and low sitting shoulders........... meaning his standing reach is probably not very good in relation to his height.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, coachx said:

........and the don't block shots with their head either. Height is meaningless. Standing reach and wingspan are what matters. The 6'7'' guy could have a better standing reach then the 6'9'' guy. Barnes refused to have his standing reach measured at the combine. Barnes appears to have a longer than average neck and low sitting shoulders........... meaning his standing reach is probably not very good in relation to his height.

Zaza disagrees, that head could block out the sun...:biggrin:

Did not know that about Barnes....mmmmmm.

45 minutes ago, coachx said:

exactly. There's a reason that Dwyane Wade was never considered undersized as a 6'4 SG

10 hours ago, Cwell said:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/34789/kevin-love-and-height-liars-in-shoes

Others believed that barefoot height does not matter because “in shoes” is the favored metric. I’ve heard it before, the argument goes: “They play in shoes.” I can be sympathetic to this logic line--for a second.

In-game Dwight Howard may well tower to 6-11. But, do we record NFL player height “in helmet”? Do we weigh boxers “in gloves”? Do we act like jockeys are centaurs and measure them “on horse”? Of course not, because there is no need to tweak traditional human measurements.

Moreover, there are those who aren’t listed “in shoes.” I asked around for some names of infamous height liars, and many thought Kevin Durant shaded short at 6-9. It turns out KD is just the victim of being a truth teller in a liar’s world. Per his draft combine, Durant really is a barefoot six-feet-nine-inches. But how are fans supposed to believe KD when he dwarfs a “6-9” guy who is 6-6 in real life? This is the problem with allowing a flexing metric to govern our perspective.

:spank: