• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NOT SO FAST!....HORFORD STILL A POSSIBILITY

JTB

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Look no further than Tiago Splitter. He started for the Spurs for years at center. Bud saw  Splitter as  a fit and traded for him last year. Dwight is better than Splitter  at everything except probably passing and maybe positional defense. Neither guy can shoot and they spend  time around  the basket. We also drafted  Walter Tavares.

I think it's a big misnomer that Bud only values stretch bigs in his system.  I believe Bud wants versatility. He wants to be able to make teams adjust to us and throw  out different  lineups.

I get your point that if Splitter is seen as a fit, then how much moreso ought DH be.

That helps.

But given deeper thought, what makes Splitter valuable--again, specifically on offense--is his familiarity with the system and the passing ability that you mention... and, importantly, that he can actually shoot from as far as 15 feet... all of which are superior to DH.

And building on that thought... I wouldn't say that Bud "only values stretch bigs," if by stretch bigs we're speaking of 3 point shooting. I would say Bud values bigs who can shoot. Because, clearly, what allowed Teague or Schröder to make those drives to the rim was the threat of Horf standing out there near the free throw line, where he's deadly.

Can't do that with DH.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sturt said:

I get your point that if Splitter is seen as a fit, then how much moreso ought DH be.

That helps.

But given deeper thought, what makes Splitter valuable--again, specifically on offense--is his familiarity with the system and the passing ability that you mention... and, importantly, that he can actually shoot from as far as 15 feet... all of which are superior to DH.

And building on that thought... I wouldn't say that Bud "only values stretch bigs," if by stretch bigs we're speaking of 3 point shooting. I would say Bud values bigs who can shoot. Because, clearly, what allowed Teague or Schröder to make those drives to the rim was the threat of Horf standing out there near the free throw line, where he's deadly.

Can't do that with DH.

Quick glance at basketball reference  shows they are identically horrid sub 40% shooters outside of 3 feet from the basket. Passing  is definitely hasn't  been a strength  of Howards, so you won't get an argument  from me there. However, I'll also add that Dwight does draw a double  on offense  and Splitter is simply not capable  of providing the Spacing Howard does. I guess I'm  trying to say Splitter needs to be a better passer because of this. 

Splitter's shooting by distance

http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXsXXsplitti01.html&t=5

Howard's shooting by distance

http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXhXXhowardw01.html&t=5

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JTB said:

Only way I see us loosing Al is if Durant leaves OKC to Boston. Frankly, I wouldn't  blame Al for teaming up with Durant. Otherwise, no need for Al to leave money on the table. There's a lot more value on 130M/5 years than 113M/4. 

Edited by chico1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Quick glance at basketball reference  shows they are identically horrid sub 40% shooters outside of 3 feet from the basket. Passing  is definitely hasn't  been a strength  of Howards, so you won't get an argument  from me there. However, I'll also add that Dwight does draw a double  on offense  and Splitter is simply not capable  of providing the Spacing Howard does. I guess I'm  trying to say Splitter needs to be a better passer because of this. 

Splitter's shooting by distance

http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXsXXsplitti01.html&t=5

Howard's shooting by distance

http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXhXXhowardw01.html&t=5

I stand corrected. You're right, Splitter is even slightly worse than DH... that surprises me b/c my recall would have guessed DH a little less than that, and Splitter a few points higher.

Okay... this helps.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

You said  you wanted to be convinced, so I had to go all Doc Holiday on you :)

I always enjoy debating with you Sturt.  

Doc Holliday?... I thought he was the head coach at Marshall ?!?

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Doc Holliday?... I thought he was the head coach at Marshall ?!?

Lol you've convinced me. Yours is the proper  spelling. I'm going to take it like a man and not faux blame auto correct. 

I wish we could have went after Crabbe as you suggested. You convinced me of that as well. I'm really wondering what he will ultimately sign for. If it's around 10, then I think I'll regret the Baze  deal. He's restricted though so Portland likely would have matched. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, ATLien_ said:

Lol you've convinced me. Yours is the proper  spelling. I'm going to take it like a man and not faux blame auto correct. 

I wish we could have went after Crabbe as you suggested. You convinced me of that as well. I'm really wondering what he will ultimately sign for. If it's around 10, then I think I'll regret the Baze  deal. He's restricted though so Portland likely would have matched. 

Actually, I was having fun w/ you independent of any spelling concerns.... I'm a Marshall alum. :)

And Crabbe? I would have offered $15m, and sat back to see if their Evan Turner signing didn't make them tuck tail. The bigger problem to that, though, is that that's $15m that would have been tied up for 3 days, and almost certainly would have ensured that most of the free agent market evaporated in the meantime.

33 minutes ago, chico1 said:

Only way I see us loosing Al is if Durant leaves OKC to Boston. Frankly, I wouldn't  blame Al for teaming up with Durant. Otherwise, no need for Al to leave money on the table. There's a lot more value on 130M/5 years than 113M/4. 

Yeah, Dwight and Baze left money on the table to come to ATL.