Bud should target Rudy Gay

JTB

• Premium Member
On 7/9/2016 at 9:30 PM, Buzzard said:

The one good thing about Gay's contract is I think it can be extended. Whoever he goes to would be an idiot not to get the extension agreed on 1st. I am sure the Kings will want some sort of youth included in the deal as in rookie contracts and/or picks. You don't send those type of assets away for a one year deal. Especially in this new NBA.

Intriguing thought. He'll be 31 going into the 2017-18 season.

39 minutes ago, sturt said:

1. I've been counting out Scott all along, but I could still yet be wrong or right on that, of course. Through it all, though I've been counting him out, I've been hoping to be wrong b/c he represents so much value at $3.3m even under the old cap.... all the more, now. He's shown a capacity to dominate for a quarter or two, particularly in the scoring column where we can use all we can get.

2. Splitter ($8.5m) + Patterson ($874k) = $9,424,636

x 150% = $14,136,954

+ $100,000 = $14,236,954

Gay = $13,333,333

2016-07-07_2202.png

What am I missing?

3. Yes.... *ding* *ding* *ding*.... correct answer is, I forgot Hardaway. Oops.

1. Yeah, but you can't count out Scott now that his contract has guaranteed. He'd have to be involved in any trade scenario if you want to get rid of him now.

2. That's correct. I was thinking of recently messing around with the trade maching involving trades for Gay and Kofous, got my wires crossed. But besides that point, I still want no part of Rudy Gay on this roster. The guy does not play winning basketball.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

1. Yeah, but you can't count out Scott now that his contract has guaranteed. He'd have to be involved in any trade scenario if you want to get rid of him now.

2. That's correct. I was thinking of recently messing around with the trade maching involving trades for Gay and Kofous, got my wires crossed. But besides that point, I still want no part of Rudy Gay on this roster. The guy does not play winning basketball.

True that earlier one possibility was that he might not even be guaranteed. True that now that it has, he's on the roster until a trade.... or, more in the line of my anticipation that he will be dismissed.... once that would happen, his contract is voided as if it was never signed.

Last year, that was a concern because though he would have (and still would) come off our books, there was/is no provision in the CBA that allows us any additional exception to pay someone else the $3.3m we otherwise would have been paying him. But right now, it's not as big a concern since we would have that amount of cap space to replace.... though, still, finding a player who produces what Scott produces at $3.3m would be a challenge.