• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bembry has been Hawks’ best player at summer league

RandomFan

• Premium Member

Bembry has been Hawks’ best player at summer league

Started by RandomFan, 2 hours ago

Until today!

usa-today-9099822.0.jpg

The Atlanta Hawks will live to fight another day when it comes to the pursuit of a 2016 Las Vegas Summer League Championship. Taylor Jenkins’ team picked up a first-round victory on Wednesday afternoon, outlasting the Sacramento Kings and advancing to the Round of 16 by a final score of 81-61.

Though the first half did not pass as exceptional basketball in an overall sense, it was a productive 20 minutes for the Hawks. Taurean Prince was the early star of the afternoon, scoring 11 points and grabbing four rebounds within his first nine minutes of action, and then, he paved the way for Edy Tavares.

The 7-foot-3 big man was excellent prior to halftime, leading the team with 12 points and six rebounds. Tavares was also quite active as a pick-and-roll threat, while presenting real energy and effectiveness in protecting the rim on the other end of the floor.

All told, Atlanta entered the halftime break with a 42-37 lead, and they did so despite shooting less than 40% from the floor and committing ten turnovers. Following that, it was smooth sailing.

The Hawks began the third quarter with back-to-back threes from Kevin Pangos and Brandon Ashley, and the team never looked back. Atlanta strung together an 18-6 run to begin the half that was highlighted by eight points from Prince, and from that point forward, the team led by double-figures for the lion’s share of the game.

Atlanta cruised to the finish line with a 20-point victory, and it didn’t feel that close. Taurean Prince led the way for the Hawks in finishing with 21 points and nine rebounds in 25 minutes, while Edy Tavares (14 points, 9 rebounds), Brandon Ashley (10 points) and DeAndre Bembry (who happened to do this) put together quality efforts in the win.

The Hawks will take on the Washington Wizards at 4:00 pm ET on Thursday, and the winner of that contest will advance to the LVSL Quarterfinals. Stay tuned.

• Like 2

I think you can argue Bembry>Prince or Prince>Bembry. We have 2 rookies who play/act like they been in the league for 10 years already. It's a good problem for us. ;-) 

Honestly, I don't recall the last time I was this excited about a rookie, and probably never about 2 rookies in the same year.

Probably Horford and AC Law in 2007?  Ouch...

Child and Smoove in 04? 

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

I think you can argue Bembry>Prince or Prince>Bembry. We have 2 rookies who play/act like they been in the league for 10 years already. It's a good problem for us. ;-) 

Honestly, I don't recall the last time I was this excited about a rookie, and probably never about 2 rookies in the same year.

Probably Horford and AC Law in 2007?  Ouch...

Child and Smoove in 04? 

Germando and Bebe I think was the last

I can't recall the last time I was excited over a pair of Hawks rookies and I've watched this team for close to 40 years. But with that said, I'll temper my expectations. Dion Glover won a summer league MVP and we all know how that turned out. I'll wait to see how these guys do in preseason and then the regular season before casting judgement but a good start none the less...

• Like 4

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Dejay said:

I can't recall the last time I was excited over a pair of Hawks rookies and I've watched this team for close to 40 years. But with that said, I'll temper my expectations. Dion Glover won a summer league MVP and we all know how that turned out. I'll wait to see how these guys do in preseason and then the regular season before casting judgement but a good start none the less...

Dion Glover won MVP as a 3rd year summer leaguer when it was uncommon to see older players during the summer.

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Dion Glover won MVP as a 3rd year summer leaguer when it was uncommon to see older players during the summer.

He went because he stunk. It's like someone taking the same course for the third time; you would HOPE that he would have better grades after failing twice...

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dejay said:

He went because he stunk. It's like someone taking the same course for the third time; you would HOPE that he would have better grades after failing twice...

^^^ This isnt relavant to the discission... The point is that he was an nba vet playing with rookies and that is why he was better than his peers during a 3 game summer league schedule.

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

^^^ This isnt relavant to the discission... The point is that he was an nba vet playing with rookies and that is why he was better than his peers during a 3 game summer league schedule.

how is it not relevant? speaking of relevance, what was you point in bringing up Dion?  there is nothing similar between Glover and Bembry.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

how is it not relevant? speaking of relevance, what was you point in bringing up Dion?  there is nothing similar between Glover and Bembry.

I didn't bring him up..Delay did...He is the one that was cautiously optimistic because Glover won mvp

• Moderators

Dejay's point was that being a summer league star doesn't necessarily presage NBA success.  I think that point is 100% correct -- summer league success is fun but should be taken with a large grain of salt.  

The minutia of distinguishing Glover from Bembry / Prince is fine but I don't think it takes away from Dejay's point.  (I'd also note on to the extent we chase down what I think is a red herring in comparing their specific circumstances that Glover left Tech after his freshman year while Prince and Bembry left after their 4th and 3rd years in school, respectively.)

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

the drapes?

I was gonna say what Rudd actually said in the movie but inappropriate...so we will go with drapes...:-|

I didn't wonder just thought somebody might at some point...