• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Millsap has to leave for the Hawks to get better?

BigDog90

According to Real GM, the max cap space the Hawks will have is 37 million. It's pretty much a given Millsap will opt out. However, his cap hold is 30 mil. How can the Hawks get better?

That would leave the Hawks with only 7 million in cap space and the Hawks have Korver (10 mil cap hold), Thabo (7.3 mil cap hold), Hardaway (5.7 mil cap hold), Muscula, Humphries (5.2 mil cap hold) Scott (6.3 mil cap hold) as free agents. It makes me wonder why Bud even gave Dennis an extension in the first place because his cap hold would have been only 7 mil but now the Hawks are paying him 15.5 starting next season, cutting into next summer's cap space. 

7 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

According to Real GM, the max cap space the Hawks will have is 37 million. It's pretty much a given Millsap will opt out. However, his cap hold is 30 mil. How can the Hawks get better?

That would leave the Hawks with only 7 million in cap space and the Hawks have Korver (10 mil cap hold), Thabo (7.3 mil cap hold), Hardaway (5.7 mil cap hold), Muscula, Humphries (5.2 mil cap hold) Scott (6.3 mil cap hold) as free agents. It makes me wonder why Bud even gave Dennis an extension in the first place because his cap hold would have been only 7 mil but now the Hawks are paying him 15.5 starting next season, cutting into next summer's cap space. 

#SapGone

No reason to not be (huh?).  The excellent defense he showed last year is gone.  Plus on offense he's suffering from the same illness that ails just about everyone on the roster.  Being asked to do more than they're capable of-itis.

8 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

You forgot Splitters caphold as well.

I'm against paying Millsap at 32 that kind of money.  I'm still trying to figure out if the new CBA allows him to get a raise and extension to his CURRENT contract. (sim. to Westbrook and Harden). 

[If he's extended we can get more value in a trade]

Where's that bum hawksfanatic when I need an answer.

I would look to move Bazemore's contract to gain more capspace. Try to convince a team needing defense that he's actually good at it.lol.

My initial thought was wait to sign Dennis' extension since he had a low caphold unless the Hawks were able to get a great deal. They got a great deal  - at $15 mil based on his play so far, that's a steal. Teams without a PG - Sixers, Bucks, Kings, Magic etc would definitely offer him a max  RFA offer at $25 million. 

23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm against paying Millsap at 32 that kind of money.  I'm still trying to figure out if the new CBA allows him to get a raise and extension to his CURRENT contract. (sim. to Westbrook and Harden). 

I would look to move Bazemore's contract to gain more capspace. Try to convince a team needing defense that he's actually good at it.lol.

My initial thought was wait to sign Dennis' extension since he had a low caphold unless the Hawks were able to get a great deal. They got a great deal  - at $15 mil based on his play so far, that's a steal. Teams without a PG - Sixers, Bucks, Kings, Magic etc would definitely offer him a max  RFA offer at $25 million. 

Yeah, Bird's right w.r.t. Dennis' deal.  We jumped early but it was preemptive.  I know a lot of teams are all a-twitter about the draft pg's but many teams would prefer a young-vet like DMike.

I think we have to be happy with what we've seen from Dennis. Yes, he still has stuff he needs to work on but for a young player he's played well.

He could be a better passer outside of dribble driving and kicking and he needs to be better in off ball defense and fighting through screens but everything is stuff that can be worked on.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If we could get a good young PF back in a trade I would deal Millsap in a heartbeat. Even a guy with like Sabonis in OKC would work.

Bud's system doesn't work with the personnel we have. Dennis is a little like Tony Parker and Dwight is a little like Duncan but that's about it. We need much better on ball defense from our perimeter defenders.

49 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If we could get a good young PF back in a trade I would deal Millsap in a heartbeat. Even a guy with like Sabonis in OKC would work.

Bud's system doesn't work with the personnel we have. Dennis is a little like Tony Parker and Dwight is a little like Duncan but that's about it. We need much better on ball defense from our perimeter defenders.

I agree regarding the Dennis and Parker comparison. Don't agree on Dwight and Duncan.

Game on the line I'd be confident throwing the ball into Duncan and say make a play for 2 points, he can score or make the right play to a teammate. I don't have that confidence in Dwight.

13 hours ago, kg01 said:

#SapGone

No reason to not be (huh?).  The excellent defense he showed last year is gone.  Plus on offense he's suffering from the same illness that ails just about everyone on the roster.  Being asked to do more than they're capable of-itis.

Yeah, I guess losing Horford hurt him. But yeah, Millsap is just a #3 option but ATL wants him to be a #1 which he isn't. 

13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Good looking out! 

Me too! Basically, when you're in the NBA for a certain amount of years. I think it's 0-6 you get 25 percent of the cap for max, 7-9 30 percent of the cap, 9+ 35 percent of the cap. Cap is 102 this summer.

Yeah, I'd showcase Baze at SG off the bench. Have him dominate 2nd string SGs and somebody might bite. 

Yeah, I agree but that extra 8 mil would have been nice.

4 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

I would look at other options before I would let Millsap go.  

FA market is pretty weak. Blake isn't coming to ATL. Millsap would be the best realistic PF. Serge is definitely getting 20+ mil and wants to stay in ORL and ORL wants him to stay. CHI could match Mirotic. Taj isn't a game changer.

Either draft a PF or trade for one but ATL really wouldn't have any assets outside of their draft pick and Dennis, if they wanted to pull the plug on the Dennis starter experiment. 

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I agree regarding the Dennis and Parker comparison. Don't agree on Dwight and Duncan.

Game on the line I'd be confident throwing the ball into Duncan and say make a play for 2 points, he can score or make the right play to a teammate. I don't have that confidence in Dwight.

Yeah me either. Dwight is more Tyson Chandler in 2011. 

It just sucks I think with Bud's system and the personnel he has, ATL would need a slowed down offense since the team is so old but majority of today's teams run.

5 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

I would look at other options before I would let Millsap go.  

I can't delete my original post for some strange reason. I guess realistically ATL could get cheaper guys like Patrick Patterson/Jonas Jerebko/Ersan Ilyasova for "cheap" like 15+ mil a year.