• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA GM's think we will put Sap back on the market

NBASupes

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You mean kasten, babcock wasn't the full time GM then.

Honestly, imagine if we had an awesome pg or wing that would have taken pressure off Nique...even a big. No names come to mind immediately, I'll have to look at who could have been available.

• Premium Member
Just now, Spud2Nique said:

Honestly, imagine if we had an awesome pg or wing that would have taken pressure off Nique...even a big. No names come to mind immediately, I'll have to look at who could have been available.

I don't know who they could have went after. I mean to be fair Moses Malone did play at an All Star level as a Hawk. I loved the guy when he was here. But he clearly wasn't the same dude that I think we thought we were trading for.

Nique never had a great PG to play with him and he had to shoulder so much of the offensive burden.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I don't know who they could have went after. I mean to be fair Moses Malone did play at an All Star level as a Hawk. I loved the guy when he was here. But he clearly wasn't the same dude that I think we thought we were trading for.

Nique never had a great PG to play with him and he had to shoulder so much of the offensive burden.

Yup exactly...a few guys that could have been had I think are Clyde (doubtful in the 80's though as he was a superstar)...Alex English (although much like Nique a flat out scorer so maybe it wouldn't have helped us)...and Adrian Dantley (again a prolific scorer but some question marks about his attitude in the lockeroom).

Im trying to think of a pg..that could have been available and helped us..

Rod Strickland...underrated speedy pg with a crazy knack of finding people on the court.

Mark Jackson...Knicks seem to be dangling him from the day they drafted him in 87... slow methodical player and one of the best assist men at the time and in history. I think he could have increased Nique's ppg average by 1-2.5 points in my opinion. We could have traded Doc, Battle and a 2nd rounder or some deal like that.

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

Last Year, Everybody thought that THJr was a bust.  The year before, people had no love for Baze.  Before that, it was Out with Teague.  At what point do you trust the process?

THJR and Teague are inconsistent. He's just a role player. Baze is just a role player. I want to see legit developed stars.

23 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

THJR and Teague are inconsistent. He's just a role player. Baze is just a role player. I want to see legit developed stars.

Yup...we haven all been waiting..hopefully it's coming!

17 hours ago, Sothron said:

Nique never had another legit superstar with him when said player was in his prime. Closest he got was the last good years out of Moses Malone but after Moses already had his HoF years in Houston/Philly.

And when we got Moses, we lost Kevin Willis for dang near an entire season in 1989.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, macdaddy said:

There isn't a great comparison.  Derozan comes to mind but there aren't many right now that are as good as nique but there are a few that are better.   

Nique was a bonafide scorer and he didn't play defense.  I remember going to the OMNI and watching Nique Cherry Pick.   Scoringwise, he was unstoppable.  However, his play couldn't comform to the team game like KD... Nor any of the other players that somebody mentioned.  Nique's modern day mirror is Carmelo Anthony.   A guy that if you feed him, he will get you 30 every night but that's all.  And Anthony I know has more of a post game and Nique was more magical with the ball in his hands, but same personality.

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think you need to take a look waaaay back to San Antonio's history and how that team evolved.

The team was built around Duncan who was the stabilizing force that created EVERYTHING else. We have none.

As Duncan aged, Manu took over the role as go to guy, set up man or take the shot guy. We have none 

As Duncan and Manu aged, Parker took the reigns. We have none.

Now, it's Kawhi time. We have none.

In all of that, when Pop needed a bucket he could still run a play for Duncan without a moments hesitation.

We barely have a Hawks MVP - there is no one to trust for a big bucket or to make the right play.

You make my point.  Only Duncan and Kawhi were lottery picks and they had to trade for Kawhi.  San Antonio has been masterful at spotting talent and developing it.  IF we are Spurs South, then we need to do the same.  Moreover, because of their trackrecord, players want to play in San Antonio.  That was not true before the Buford/Popp/braintrust.  Bud is taking us that way.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You make my point.  Only Duncan and Kawhi were lottery picks and they had to trade for Kawhi.  San Antonio has been masterful at spotting talent and developing it.  IF we are Spurs South, then we need to do the same.  Moreover, because of their trackrecord, players want to play in San Antonio.  That was not true before the Buford/Popp/braintrust.  Bud is taking us that way.

Until we get Tim Duncan or Kawhi we are a looooong way off.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Nique was a bonafide scorer and he didn't play defense.  I remember going to the OMNI and watching Nique Cherry Pick.   Scoringwise, he was unstoppable.  However, his play couldn't comform to the team game like KD... Nor any of the other players that somebody mentioned.  Nique's modern day mirror is Carmelo Anthony.   A guy that if you feed him, he will get you 30 every night but that's all.  And Anthony I know has more of a post game and Nique was more magical with the ball in his hands, but same personality.

Nique couldn't trust his teammates.  Even in that 1994 season, Lenny had a big problem with Nique just looking to be a scorer and not more of a team guy.  Nique was going through wild hot and cold stretches ( much like Melo this season ).  But his teammates couldn't be trusted offensively.

The Hawks specifically targeted Manning because Lenny thought Danny was a much better team player, while also showing the ability to be an All-Star level scorer.   But once the playoffs hit, no one could help Manning ( who didn't have a bad series vs Indiana ).

It just goes to show that you need at least 2 TRUE All-Star level guys playing together, in order to be successful come playoff time.

The modern day Knicks are good enough offensively to be a playoff team.  But their defense sucks.  And while everyone always harps on Carmelo's defense, he's not the one losing his matchup on a nightly basis.  It's the Knicks other frontline players ( Noah and O'Quinn ) who can't stop anybody.

When they finally decide to play Porzingis at C, and bench Noah, the Knicks will become more consistent.

Having said that, I've always said that Carmelo Anthony is the game changer for the Hawks.  People may not like his game, but he's exactly what this team needs.  If you can acquire a guy like that, without losing Howard, Millsap, or Schröder, you pull the trigger on a trade.  That way, Melo will be surrounded by players who can play defense, which will make him look like a better defensive player.

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Nique couldn't trust his teammates.  Even in that 1994 season, Lenny had a big problem with Nique just looking to be a scorer and not more of a team guy.  Nique was going through wild hot and cold stretches ( much like Melo this season ).  But his teammates couldn't be trusted offensively.

The Hawks specifically targeted Manning because Lenny thought Danny was a much better team player, while also showing the ability to be an All-Star level scorer.   But once the playoffs hit, no one could help Manning ( who didn't have a bad series vs Indiana ).

It just goes to show that you need at least 2 TRUE All-Star level guys playing together, in order to be successful come playoff time.

The modern day Knicks are good enough offensively to be a playoff team.  But their defense sucks.  And while everyone always harps on Carmelo's defense, he's not the one losing his matchup on a nightly basis.  It's the Knicks other frontline players ( Noah and O'Quinn ) who can't stop anybody.

When they finally decide to play Porzingis at C, and bench Noah, the Knicks will become more consistent.

Having said that, I've always said that Carmelo Anthony is the game changer for the Hawks.  People may not like his game, but he's exactly what this team needs.  If you can acquire a guy like that, without losing Howard, Millsap, or Schröder, you pull the trigger on a trade.  That way, Melo will be surrounded by players who can play defense, which will make him look like a better defensive player.

IMG_8174.GIF

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . . shake your head all you want homie.   The Hawks need this.

Got love for ya man but I'm really glad ur not our GM. We would be heading to Knicktown aka lottery for 10 years.

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . . shake your head all you want homie.   The Hawks need this.

Ps Why don't you show some Olympic highlights of Melo instead...where he is supposedly a great team guy...lol...

In the playoffs, you need people who can take and make their own shot outside of an offensive system.  Melo can do both . . . play within Bud's system, and score in ISO situations.

Keep in mind that the BIG complaint about Millsap, is his lack of clutchness down the stretch of games.  He's a good offensive player, but not necessarily a closer at the end of games.

Matter of fact . . . who is currently the closer for the Hawks?   Millsap?  Schröder?  THJ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

In the playoffs, you need people who can take and make their own shot outside of an offensive system.  Melo can do both . . . play within Bud's system, and score in ISO situations.

Keep in mind that the BIG complaint about Millsap, is his lack of clutchness down the stretch of games.  He's a good offensive player, but not necessarily a closer at the end of games.

Matter of fact . . . who is currently the closer for the Hawks?   Millsap?  Schröder?  THJ?

Northcyde's right here (for once .. ohhh, shots fired)

I keep saying a bought-in sMelo makes us significantly better.  I presume, if he waives his NTC to come here, we'd be getting the best version of sMelo there is (at this stage of his career).  Folks *cough* @Spud2Nique *cough* gotta open their minds.