• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you believe the Hawks would do the same offer for Jimmy Butler?

JTB

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Dejay said:

And that's where the two of us hit the fork in the road. I DO NOT share this sentiment AT ALL and have the posts and many a witness here who will back my claims. I've seen way too many guys strut into the ivory towers claiming to have all of the answers in late-June, only to come back with jabronies who couldn't win you a rec league game with. The list of HOFers, All-Stars, and very good players this franchise has passed up in the name of, well, I'll skip the expletives to keep from my account getting suspended, can make a polar bear throw up. 

So nope, I'll take my chances on guys who I've already seen play NBA basketball and well. I'm not saying to jettison the draft forever and ever. But if you're talking about rebuilding with picks in the teens and 20s, nah...

Wasn't Teague, Horford, Dennis, Prince drafted by this team? So t hey can continue to find players just like those guys and will be fine

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

I know, just saying Bazemore didn't have to be included. Most likely Mike Scott as well.

Splitter + Scott is a lot of trash for Indy to take back for 3 picks in the 2nd half of the 1st round.  There was a reason I said Baze. He is at least considered by most teams as a solid rotation guy.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I might be the biggest Taurean Prince fan on this board, but you trade for sure things when can. If offered Butler for Baze/Prince the the two future 1sts and 19, you couldn't find me a pen fast enough.  Butler is the kind of player that people watch and say, man I wish I had me one of those. Butler is the kind of player other free agents want to play with. Butler is the kind of player you surround with 3 point shooters....not demand he be one.  Every championship team...each and every 1 has a guy who you look at and say...I need a bucket and he goes and gets you one. There are less than 15 of those guys in the league and Butler is one. Some teams have 2. You put Butler on this team and Paul Millsap just got infinitely better.  You don't have to double team Dennis, You don't have to double Paul or Dwight but a clear out for Butler demands help no matter who is guarding him. Butler is the kind of player that other teams scheme around.  With the Hawks now, you pick your poison. Add Butler and there is no choice, you start by stopping him.

Then why isn't it happening in Chicago?

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Wasn't Teague, Horford, Dennis, Prince drafted by this team? So t hey can continue to find players just like those guys and will be fine

And you know what three of the four have in common? They were drafted by GMs who no longer work here. The first two are the only All-Stars they've drafted since Reagan's first term. Just because you paid a couple of credit card bills on time after defaulting on your loans the last four decades don't mean that banks are suddenly going to start underwriting house notes in your name. I need way more than that; just me... 

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I hope I'm still around when this master plan comes to fruition.    I guess i'll add that if we tell Sap this is the plan I have no idea why he'd sign up for it.   

1st of a'll, Money and secondly, Sap is already a 3rd option and on will go down from there.  So if we can't sign him,  He can easily be replaced.

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Dejay said:

And you know what three of the four have in common? They were drafted by GMs who no longer work here. The first two are the only All-Stars they've drafted since Reagan's first term. Just because you paid a couple of credit card bills on time after defaulting on your loans the last four decades don't mean that banks are suddenly going to start underwriting house notes in your name. I need way more than that; just me... 

The other guy was making the argument that our future GM could not draft good players because the GM ghost of the past.  Oh Wait, that was you!

15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Splitter + Scott is a lot of trash for Indy to take back for 3 picks in the 2nd half of the 1st round.  There was a reason I said Baze. He is at least considered by most teams as a solid rotation guy.

They were expiring contracts. I indicated that THjr was the name mentioned that Indy wanted plus the 3 picks. Tiago and Scott as salary filler.

There was NO rumor of Indy wanting Baze.

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The other guy was making the argument that our future GM could not draft good players because the GM ghost of the past.

And with the exception of the four guys you mentioned, he's right. This team couldn't draft themselves out of a wet paper bag dipped in battery acid overnight. Even Wikipedia cracks on the Hawks about their dubious draft history.

Call me strange but I prefer that the next guy who wants to play Dr. Frankenstein with our roster spend lottery picks on the next 'James Worthy with a jump shot' with someone else. We deserve a chance to laugh at someone else's fanbase when the draft takes place. If an established player, much less an All-Star in his prime is available, you do whatever is possible (and feasible) to get him. Again, just me...

Edited by Dejay

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Dejay said:

And with the exception of the four guys you mentioned, he's right. This team couldn't draft themselves out of a wet paper bag dipped in battery acid overnight. Even Wikipedia cracks on the Hawks about their dubious draft history.

Call me strange but I prefer that the next guy who wants to play Dr. Frankenstein with our roster spend lottery picks on the next 'James Worthy with a jump shot' with someone else. We deserve a chance to laugh at someone else's fanbase when the draft takes place. If an established player, much less an All-Star in his prime is available, you do whatever is possible (and feasible) to get him. Again, just me...

For 4 players???  I don't even think we are batting 25% or less over the last 4 years.

Again, I'm not popping champagne over such a deal, especially for any expiring players (see George, Paul). But my patience for waiting on a team with such a dubious drafting history like ours to suddenly roll sevens in June was exhausted years ago. That's why you have extra picks like the Hawks do so the damage isn't as far reaching as it has been for the Nets. You make the deal and still have a June to look forward to...

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I do believe Prince has a bright future.  Hardaway I want to believe in but i mean Tim is just 2 years younger that Butler.   Butler is better at every aspect of the game and has been at that level for 3 or 4 years.   

But are we going to sit on our hands and pray that one day Hardaway and prince become as good as Butler.   That's treadmilling. 

And by the way, Hardaway is 3 years younger and averaged more point per game than Butler at this the same age.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

A lot of miles?  He's 27 years old and has been in the league 6 years.   Look who's competing in the finals.  Lebron, Durant, Curry, Thompson, Love.  They all have as much or more.   

I get that you don't think he's worth it but considering we played the season with probably the worst wing combo in the whole league I just don't see how anyone would claim Butler isn't a huge upgrade and would make us significantly better.   

Butler will be 28 this year

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And by the way, Hardaway is 3 years younger and averaged more point per game than Butler at this the same age.

Butler will be 28 this year

We shall see.  I hope Hardaway becomes the player that Butler is, but i'd rather not have to rely on hope.    

They are 2 years 5 months apart.   In Butler's 4th NBA season he averaged 20/5/3 with almost 2 steals and was an all star.   Hardaway's 4th nba season was not as good but it was promising.   But, assuming he's a hawk, i would love to see hardaway get there.  'There' is just a ways off though especially looking at both ends of the court.  

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We shall see.  I hope Hardaway becomes the player that Butler is, but i'd rather not have to rely on hope.    

They are 2 years 5 months apart.   In Butler's 4th NBA season he averaged 20/5/3 with almost 2 steals and was an all star.   Hardaway's 4th nba season was not as good but it was promising.   But, assuming he's a hawk, i would love to see hardaway get there.  'There' is just a ways off though especially looking at both ends of the court.  

Also when you add in that THjr is about to be paid 'Jimmy' money, I'd take a flyer on having Jimmy vs Thjr and #19. 

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Also when you add in that THjr is about to be paid 'Jimmy' money, I'd take a flyer on having Jimmy vs Thjr and #19. 

Lets get something straight...I would take Jimmy Butler over THjr straight up but would take THjr plus 4 1st round picks over Jimmy Butler.  I hope that clears it up for y'all.

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Lets get something straight...I would take Jimmy Butler over THjr straight up but would take THjr plus 4 1st round picks over Jimmy Butler.  I hope that clears it up for y'all.

Let me be clearer, I'd take Jimmy plus our OWN 2 1st round picks in 2018 and 2019.  

(It's Thjr and 3 picks, not 4)

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Let me be clearer, I'd take Jimmy plus our OWN 2 1st round picks in 2018 and 2019.  

(It's Thjr and 3 picks, not 4)

We'll have to keep an eye on this over the next few years to see which would have been the better route to take.  It will be fun to follow and give to y'all when I'm right.  LOL!

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I need a superstar for my sanity...give me Butler, give me Paul George...I don't care..just get us to the finals and get that ring!

You would still need a Superstar with them on the team because neither aint one