• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who are your picks if we keep our positions & why?

sillent

30 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

I think all 3 could be gone especially if people want more certainty than all the potential bigs in this draft. Allen, Giles, Bam etc...Up until a week ago Kennard  and Jackson were  projected in our range. That is were I  expect players off that ilk  to go  maybe slightly higher,  but when  Jordan and  the  Kings have 3  picks combined in the top 11 I expect to see stupid happen. Could all be smoke screen though; what did teams find out about Kennard in the last week that makes him top 12 pick now? He's was a slightly below average athlete that can really shoot 2 weeks ago and he still is now. 

I disagree with you on Patton, but that was the best sell job I've seen anyone do on him.  

38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That also means some guys are falling, right?

Yes I think in general guys that can score and shoot are rising because so many teams lack scoring and shooting. Should sound familiar to Hawks fans. Guys that project as defensive rebounders with less polished offense are falling. Donovan Mitchell is sky rocketing because he projects to do both.

My counter point to ATLien's great description of Justin Patton.

1.  He looks like a sped up athlete on the court.  When he does add strength and bulk, will he be able to maintain his foot quickness and ability to run the floor?  When I say sped up, I mean that he looks like he is working hard to do what he does on the floor.  

2.  He must add size and strength to his frame, because right now, he gets pushed around as a positional defender and on the boards.  He is the weakest rebounder of the group I call the project bigs in this draft.  While many feel he has elite rim protection potential, to this point, he is not an elite rim protector.  

3.  He lacks awareness on defense, which has been cited as a lack of focus at times.  I'll give you that this is a young mistake.

4.  I don't buy his ability as a floor spacer.   His three point shooting is on a very small sample size, and if you look at his shooting chart, he only hits them at the top of the key.  His two point jump shooting is deplorable though, as is his free throw shooting.  

In summary, I see a kid who at best spends his entire rookie season in the G-League and becomes a reserve/rotational guy in year two.  I think the more likely outcome is that he doesn't become a rotational guy till his third season, and that's when you will need him as a starter after Dwight's contract is off the books.  So, that's the ultimate question here.  Can he start when Dwight's contract is up after 2 years?

34 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I disagree with you on Patton, but that was the best sell job I've seen anyone do on him.  

He's raw but he's raw but has worked his ass off his whole career. 1 D1 scholarship offer out of high school. Went from red shirting his fresman year to winning starting job in year 2. He won big east freshmen of the year and 2nd team all big east. Alot of being great is work ethic; I don't think he'll stop working now. Made himself into a first round pick, but now I fear he'll go ahead of us.

Honestly Im afraid to take any big because imo this coaching staff has yet to develop a big.

Edited by ATLien_

I don't know that they have truly had an opportunity to develop a big man.  The two guys they drafted were Lucas Noguiera and Walter Tavares.  They probably got rid of Tavares too soon, but Noguiera is still not a developed player.  I think it is possible that those guys just weren't going to develop.  However, what I would take from those two is the skill set they brought to the table.  When you look at the fact that those two are the "centers" the team has drafted under Bud and the fact that the team brought in Tiago Splitter and Dwight Howard under Bud, you can see what they want in a center.  They want a guy who can be a dive man on the pick and roll on offense and a rim protector on defense.  

4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Damn edit cutoff.  

Where are we in college ball when two years straight the consensus #1 pick didn't even lead his team to the tournament of 64 teams?  Next year he's gonna be coming out of Div II?  They couldn't even find a worthy competitor for ROY after a second year pro.

These last two number ones are just an interesting case really. They just both chose teams that really just weren't good at those times and I guess assumed they could turn things around and make some storybook styled run Carmelo style. Might even happen next year depending on how well Michael Porter plays at Mizzou. It's not really a representation of where college basketball as a whole is. Those players just choose the schools they had the best ties to I guess. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ATLien_ said:

He's raw but he's raw but has worked his ass off his whole career. 1 D1 scholarship offer out of high school. Went from red shirting his fresman year to winning starting job in year 2. He won big east freshmen of the year and 2nd team all big east. Alot of being great is work ethic; I don't think he'll stop working now. Made himself into a first round pick, but now I fear he'll go ahead of us.

Honestly Im afraid to take any big because imo this coaching staff has yet to develop a big.

Sounds like a description of Prince, no?

And I give some credit... by most accounts, you take Moose in the 2nd rd, and get some contributions from him, that's exceeding expectations.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Sounds like a description of Prince, no?

And I give some credit... by most accounts, you take Moose in the 2nd rd, and get some contributions from him, that's exceeding expectations.

I kind of think Moose is the same player he always was. Most  of his improvements are from getting functionally stronger.  

This coaching staff seems to be able to consistently improve shooting  over time.  Maybe they will take a flyer on the OG kid.  Unfortunately they would need to improve his dribbling too,  and  Baze shows me they have not mastered that.