Who are your picks if we keep our positions & why?

sillent

I feel like Jordan Bell is a given with the 31st pick if he's still on the board. 92.9 is soundclipping the Bud quotes about Bell from his interview a few weeks ago in their current commercial...

• Like 2

On 6/16/2017 at 10:05 PM, sillent said:

(Sorry if this post has already been done)

Outside of the lottery picks my fav players are Harry Giles & Terrance Fergerson

19th pick: I would pick Harry Giles with the 19th pick. Just like I said Prince would be a DMC 2.0 I see Giles being a Paul Millsap 2.0 which would put him as a superstar because Paul's already an allstar. He may take a little longer to develop than Prince but with his size, ability, defense and intangibles I can see him guarding 1-5 on defense (when necessary & being super versatile on offense.

31st pick: I would pick Anzeis Pasecniks as the 31st pick for his size and versatility and if he can turn into anything like Portizingus we would have a steal and also 2 young high potential replacements in our bigs department. Both can shoot from the outside and will only get better in our system.

60th pick: I would not be mad at all if we got Kobi Simmons with this pick and I wouldn't be surprised if we found some untapped talent over seas. I almost would be surprised if Kobi Simmons was available at this pick.

With young stars in the making already on our squad PG: Dennis Schröder, SG: Tim Hardaway Jr??(If/Should be resigned) & SF: Taurean Prince, Giles & Pasecniks could be in the making of a team that could compete with GSW. Not to mention Dwight should be better acclimated, Paul if he stays will still be effective and Baze will be out for a redemption year to prove he deserves to be here/his pay. We still have Bembry & his shot should be improved and grant more pt. Malcom Delaney also has much to prove and should be more acclimated. We will/should probably keep Calderon and possibly Ilysova and Dunleavy (for his height,3's, can drive unlike Korver). Also Isaia Cordinier can be brought here if we feel like we can develop him better over here than overseas. 

WE ARE NOT THAT FAR OFF AS IT SEEMS TALENT WISE & NOW THAT OUR COACH CAN FOCUS ON COACHING AND WE HAVE A YEAR UNDER OUR BELT AS A PRETTY MUCH NEW CONSTRUCTED TEAM LAST YEAR(People Forget That) OUR CHEMISTRY AND OVERALL OUTLOOK CAN BE SKY HIGH & SURPRISE AS WE DID DURING THE 60 WIN SEASON. PEOPLE ALSO FORGET WE WERE ON PACE TO BE THE GOLDEN STATE OF THE EAST THAT YEAR & IF WE DRAFT & RETAIN PLAYERS CORRECTLY WE WILL BE BETTER THAN OUR PAST 60 WIN TEAM!!! At the very least contenders

Man...I don't think Giles is there at 19...but if he is..you take 8 seconds to get the draft card to the table. People recover from injuries like that all the time and Giles is special. He's gonna go 8-14.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, hazer said:

I feel like Jordan Bell is a given with the 31st pick if he's still on the board. 92.9 is soundclipping the Bud quotes about Bell from his interview a few weeks ago in their current commercial...

If they like him that much, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them take him at 19 if their main target at 19 isn't there.   I can't see Jordan Bell getting passed Utah and San Antonio at the end of the first round.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If they like him that much, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them take him at 19 if their main target at 19 isn't there.   I can't see Jordan Bell getting passed Utah and San Antonio at the end of the first round.

NBADraft has Bell going to Trailblazers at 26, DX has him going to the Kings at 34. Hope he's around at 31, 19th is just too damn early in my opinion. 

Edited by hazer

11 hours ago, thecampster said:

Man...I don't think Giles is there at 19...but if he is..you take 8 seconds to get the draft card to the table. People recover from injuries like that all the time and Giles is special. He's gonna go 8-14.

How many players can you name that came back after 3 serious knee surgeries in 3 years?

Not saying I don't love his raw talent my any means. He's a baller for sure. It would just stink if we drafted him and his career was over in a couple of years because of more injury issues.

With modern medicine, he does have a chance to have a 10+ year career but it's kind of a huge gamble, considering we only have 1 first round pick.

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Don't forget that most of these projection sites had Taurean Prince going in the late 1st round last year, and Atlanta took him at 12.  

Yup...none of that matters for us. I think if we like the guy, we take him.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Don't forget that most of these projection sites had Taurean Prince going in the late 1st round last year, and Atlanta took him at 12.  

Kinda/sorta: DraftExpress had Prince going 21st and Hawks snagged him 9 picks ahead of that because he was their guy all along and maybe they had intell that he would be off the board so they made the move up. But DX has Bell going 34th, 15 spots later than the Hawks' 19th this year. Seems more of a stretch with Bell and there's more talent ahead of him in this year's draft than there was Prince last year. But if he's the guy Schlenkholzer covets if their "wishful thinking" pick is already gone at 19, wouldn't surprise me. I'm still crossing my fingers for Justin Jackson/19, Jordan Bell/31, Monte Morris/60. Speaking of wishful thinking, all 3 of those are probably off the board right before those picks...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hazer said:

Kinda/sorta: DraftExpress had Prince going 21st and Hawks snagged him 9 picks ahead of that because he was their guy all along and maybe they had intell that he would be off the board so they made the move up. But DX has Bell going 34th, 15 spots later than the Hawks' 19th this year. Seems more of a stretch with Bell and there's more talent ahead of him in this year's draft than there was Prince last year. But if he's the guy Schlenkholzer covets if their "wishful thinking" pick is already gone at 19, wouldn't surprise me. I'm still crossing my fingers for Justin Jackson/19, Jordan Bell/31, Monte Morris/60. Speaking of wishful thinking, all 3 of those are probably off the board right before those picks...

I'm with you on JJ and Bell but I don't know much about Morris to be honest.

All I care about is drafting players who are going to contribute and actually be on the roster.  So please no European unknowns who will never see a regular season NBA game.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

All I care about is drafting players who are going to contribute and actually be on the roster.  So please no European unknowns who will never see a regular season NBA game.  

Exactly. I don't follow college basketball nearly enough to speculate who can and can't play at the NBA level; just look at my annual March Madness predictions. Just get me a guy who can be a REAL player for the Hawks. Please...

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

Agreed, although this draft has some European "knowns" who will see a regular season NBA game. As will the Hawks' Isaïa Cordinier in the near future, although from the bench...

• Like 1

Damn edit cutoff.  

Where are we in college ball when two years straight the consensus #1 pick didn't even lead his team to the tournament of 64 teams?  Next year he's gonna be coming out of Div II?  They couldn't even find a worthy competitor for ROY after a second year pro.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

I really want to the Hawks to trade up for Lauri Markkanen, Donovan Mitchell or John Collins in that order, but I don't think we will. Markkanen looks like he's going top 10 now, but I believe to get Donovan Mitchell we would need to trade up to the Pistons spot as I think they will take him. We can probably get John Collins with Denver's pick. If the Hawks do trade up they'll probably take Frank Ntilikina who has European Iman Shumpert written all over him. 

What I think they'll do

19,) Draft Justin Jackson, Luke Kennard, or TJ Leaf in that order. I'm not going to be upset with any of these players, but they are all high floor low ceiling players, and all of them will be solid bench guys at worst and at best can be your 4th or 5th best starter on a quality team.  Alot of people are really high on Justin Jackson, but I see his ceiling as a cross between Tayshaun Prince and Tobias Harris. He won't be as good defensively as Prince and he won't be as good offensively as Harris. He already struggles to break down college defenders with his dribble and he won't fair any better in the NBA at basically 200 pounds. His combine measures look good, but the ball really slows him down. He actually tested faster than Jawun Evans in drills, but one watch of real basketball footage clearly shows that Jawun is much faster. Be weary of combine warriors. He's a tweener that's not quick enough to guard or beat SG's and not heavy or strong enough to guard NBA SF's. If I had to choose between the 3, then I would lean towards Kennard as atleast he can stretch the floor at an elite level. 

31.) Kyle Kuzma / Jordan Bell/ Caleb Swanigan in that order.  Again I have no problem with these guys; it's just not what I would do. Can Kuzma or Jordan Bell really shoot? If not is Bud going to pull them off the court? Then why draft them. Caleb is skilled and can shoot, but has some of the worst feet and lift I've ever seen on a NBA player. His closeout videos on DraftExpress' weaknesses video are cringe worthy. If you can't defend Bud won't play you, so again why draft him. I don't know what Caleb can defend in the NBA. Best bet would be stretch 5, but he struggles versus real length. 

What I want them to do: All Late Bloomer Draft

19) Justin Patton - IMO has a chance to be the best center in this draft. Legit 7 footer with physical tools you just can't teach, tremendous feet both offensively and defensively. Has the feet to spin in the post and can handle well enough to get to the basket on closeouts. Tremendous motor first big down the court which is important because we need to play with pace. This team plays entirely too slow IMO. How many 7 footers you see pull up on the break from 3? Well more and more lately :agree:. Defensively has the feet to switch on 4's and is not a liability against guards. Guy has some of the best big video I seen in this years draft for hedging then recovering to the stretch big or shooter(Dwight is really struggles with this). Really good passer out of the high post which is important in Bud's system. Got his weight up to 230lbs with less than 8% body fat. The bad is he really needs to get stronger, and I think that contributes to his really poor rebounding. He has poor rebounding instincts too, so he needs a lot of coaching in this area. Has below average hand size too which may make it harder to rebound outside of his area. The rest of his weaknesses are all young guy weaknesses, losing focus, trying to do to much etc. . I think his ceiling is a more athletic better defensive version of Rik Smits and his floor is rich mans Samuel Dalembert. Oh I forgot most importantly no injury history. I'm weary of bigs with lower leg issues. 

31) Derek White - I think he can have the same kind of impact as Justin Jackson, but I'm getting him at 31. He can backup both guard positions and could develop into a starter at SG potentially. The combine metrics as far as speed an quickness check out, but again plays much slower with the ball than his numbers would say. He struggles a bit to break down defenses, but is very crafty and can finish with floaters etc and both hands. Came up from division II and shot 57% from the field and 40% from 3 in the Big 12. Would be the one guard on our team competent enough to feed the post player(big need). We are in dire need of a secondary ball handler to play with Dennis and he can play with THJ too when Dennis sits and runs the point. I never want to see Bazemore running point again. He's a very solid defender and can move his feet well, but lacks explosion to contest. This is the real Malcom Brogdon of this draft. If he's gone I would take Jordan Bell or Jawun Evans.  Jordan complements the weaknesses of Justin Patton well and I could see them playing together. As for Jawun, like I said I never want to see Bazemore at point again. 

Sorry for the novel. This is hard to do without knowing who will be available at 19 and 31. 

Edited by ATLien_
type 0
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ATLien_ said:

What I think they'll do

19,) Draft Justin Jackson, Luke Kennard, or TJ Leaf in that order.

Kennard is LONG gone by the 19th pick...

Edited by hazer

57 minutes ago, hazer said:

Kennard is LONG gone by the 19th pick...

I think all 3 could be gone especially if people want more certainty than all the potential bigs in this draft. Allen, Giles, Bam etc...Up until a week ago Kennard  and Jackson were  projected in our range. That is were I  expect players off that ilk  to go  maybe slightly higher,  but when  Jordan and  the  Kings have 3  picks combined in the top 11 I expect to see stupid happen. Could all be smoke screen though; what did teams find out about Kennard in the last week that makes him top 12 pick now? He's was a slightly below average athlete that can really shoot 2 weeks ago and he still is now. 

Edited by ATLien_

8 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

I think all 3 could be gone especially if people want more certainty than all the potential bigs in this draft. Allen, Giles, Bam etc...Up until a week ago Kennard  and Jackson were  projected in our range. That is were I  expect players off that ilk  to go  maybe slightly higher,  but when  Jordan and  the  Kings have 3  picks combined in the top 11 I expect to see stupid happen. Could all be smoke screen though; what did teams find out about Kennard in the last week that makes him top 12 pick now? He's was a slightly below average athlete that can really shoot 2 weeks ago and he still is now. 

That also means some guys are falling, right?

3 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Damn edit cutoff.  

Where are we in college ball when two years straight the consensus #1 pick didn't even lead his team to the tournament of 64 teams?  Next year he's gonna be coming out of Div II?  They couldn't even find a worthy competitor for ROY after a second year pro.

Unfortunately, this is true and the biggest reason I'm not willing to tank to get a higher pick.  While the raw talent of these guys may be higher, they will miss out on a significant developmental period in their careers.  When they get drafted that high, they are expected to play immediately, and they are simply not ready.  

Right now, there are many that are just frothing at the idea of having Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, and Markelle Fultz on the same team.  However, if those guys actually develop once in the NBA, it's going to be at least 3-4 years before that core is ready to actually compete in meaningful games.  By that time, it is already time to resign Embiid and close to time to resign Ben Simmons.  

• Like 2