• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dennis Schröder: Dwight Howard Only Plays Well Against Former Teams

Wurider05

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Um... no 

He solved the rebounding problem and helped the total defense.  He just didn't help HIDE the problems with Dennis.  Dennis hid when we had Al because we had a passing C who could also defend well enough to hide Dennis' defects.   Don't blame that on Dwight.  Dwight is gone and we still have problems with ball movement and pick and roll D.  That tells you that he wasn't the cause. 

We had Horford and great ball movement, spacing and ability to shut down PnR.  We lost Horford and substituted Howard and had problems with elements of the defense, ball movement and spacing.

I'm saying substituting Howard for Horford opened us up to getting abused by PnR (where Dwight didn't like to move too far from the basket a lot of the time) and took down our passing and spacing several notches.  Howard was good enough on what he could do on D to enable us to still be a good defensive team (better in some elements but worse in others).  You can describe the offensive problems as the impact of losing Horford if you want but Dwight is not a good passer and makes it difficult for other people (like Sap) to operate in the paint so it changed our identity on offense for the worse.

We then ditched our starting SG, PF and C and still had ball movement problems with one of the worst rosters in the league.  This year the team is a train wreck by design so I consider that an entirely separate issue.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Diesel said:

No.  We got killed on the boards.  When Al Horford was gettnig us 1 and 2 rebounds per game, we were getting killed, especially in the playoffs.  The PNR problem wasn't Dwight, it was Dennis.   Dennis just refused to get him the ball.  Whether he was set for the PNR or in the post. 

Dwight has had problems at every stop of the way getting involved in the PnR since Shaq belittled him for it. I don’t doubt that Dennis shares some blame too. However he’s played with ball handlers like Nash, Harden and now Kemba and he’s not produced there? Come on now.

Yes, prioritizing rebounding and nothing else over passing, shooting, intangibles, and defense was a mistake. You could argue that our lack of rebounding would cap our ceiling but it’s apparent that signing Dwight only lowered our ceiling.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

We had Horford and great ball movement, spacing and ability to shut down PnR.  We lost Horford and substituted Howard and had problems with elements of the defense, ball movement and spacing.

I'm saying substituting Howard for Horford opened us up to getting abused by PnR (where Dwight didn't like to move too far from the basket a lot of the time) and took down our passing and spacing several notches.  Howard was good enough on what he could do on D to enable us to still be a good defensive team (better in some elements but worse in others).  You can describe the offensive problems as the impact of losing Horford if you want but Dwight is not a good passer and makes it difficult for other people (like Sap) to operate in the paint so it changed our identity on offense for the worse.

We then ditched our starting SG, PF and C and still had ball movement problems with one of the worst rosters in the league.  This year the team is a train wreck by design so I consider that an entirely separate issue.

The problem is that you don't bring in Howard and expect him to play like Horford.   Two different players.  They would work well together but one is not the substitute of the other. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, DBac said:

Dwight has had problems at every stop of the way getting involved in the PnR since Shaq belittled him for it. I don’t doubt that Dennis shares some blame too. However he’s played with ball handlers like Nash, Harden and now Kemba and he’s not produced there? Come on now.

Yes, prioritizing rebounding and nothing else over passing, shooting, intangibles, and defense was a mistake. You could argue that our lack of rebounding would cap our ceiling but it’s apparent that signing Dwight only lowered our ceiling.

Uhm... So we just let Dennis off the Hook when it's evident that's he's not running the offense well.   I mean,  Sap Didn't have problems until Dennis became full time PG.   Korver, didn't have problems until Dennis became full time PG.   Collins is not the best that he can be because Dennis is the PG...

But now you want to bring in Dwight's So Called History with PGs when 3 of the 4 PGs you mention aren't even PNR point Guards...

Spare me. 

Nothing you have said makes me want Dwight. He has a history of being nothing more than a cancer and goofball in locker rooms. Al Horford is about to be on DPOY ballots and he isn't a locker room head case. He is a significantly better player at this point than Dwight. Dwight had we had him and Al would have been pissed because he is the 3rd option imo.

Edited by davis171
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Uhm... So we just let Dennis off the Hook when it's evident that's he's not running the offense well.   I mean,  Sap Didn't have problems until Dennis became full time PG.   Korver, didn't have problems until Dennis became full time PG.   Collins is not the best that he can be because Dennis is the PG...

But now you want to bring in Dwight's So Called History with PGs when 3 of the 4 PGs you mention aren't even PNR point Guards...

Spare me. 

I'm not a Dennis fan. I want a new primary ball handler going into next year.

But the facts are:

Capela is one of the most used PnR bigs in the NBA. 

Dwight was one of the least used PnR bigs in the NBA last year on a per play basis, now Collins/Dedmon mid tier in this area.

Charlotte runs the PnR far less they did last year. Cody Zeller had 33% frequency on these plays last year, Dwight has 12% (Cody has 24% fwiw)

I dunno how many ways to hammer this home. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Diesel said:

The problem is that you don't bring in Howard and expect him to play like Horford.   Two different players.  They would work well together but one is not the substitute of the other. 

They brought him in to supplement Horford.  Turned out it was a net negative when Horford left.  We went from a winning team to a negative point differential team and that was primarily driven by that swap.

The talk about Dwight's reluctance to roll is absolutely on point.  That has been an issue for the better part of a decade.   It is so obvious that he could really enhance his game if he would lean into that instead of fighting it.  Reminds me a bit of Josh.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AHF said:

They brought him in to supplement Horford.  Turned out it was a net negative when Horford left.  We went from a winning team to a negative point differential team and that was primarily driven by that swap.

The talk about Dwight's reluctance to roll is absolutely on point.  That has been an issue for the better part of a decade.   It is so obvious that he could really enhance his game if he would lean into that instead of fighting it.  Reminds me a bit of Josh.

Best AAU team in Georgia history. The entire starting 5 went to the NBA crazy.

405A96D6-EB64-430D-AEFF-1E624183F6FB-19261-00000A5DDE51765F_zps2a3a5476.jpg

Edited by davis171