• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

Just now, Peoriabird said:

John Collins, And yes Dennis is 24 and Prince is 23 and can improve you know

John Collins is one player.  Dennis doesn't get it, and I think probably never will.  Prince takes two steps forward and three steps back it seems to me.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Youth.

Young teams don't win.  Atlanta will have no fewer than 6 players on the roster who have one year or fewer years of experience, probably 7 if they don't use the 2nd round pick on a stash player.  That's almost half the active roster that will be either 2nd year players or rookies.  

The only 5 plus year vets that will be on the roster are Dennis Schröder, Kent Bazemore, Miles Plumlee and maybe Mike Muscala if he picks up his option (which I think he will do). 

Also, even if whoever they draft is a potential star player, that guy won't be a star as a rookie.  All rookies suck.

The starting line up will be the same if we retain Dedmon so who will be that important piece we will lose to make us worse?

5 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

No, that's more of you just trying to walk back off your statement.  If inconsequential players such as Noel can't get away with that strategy then how likely is it that a draft pick that the team actually has every desire to keep will get away with it?

Uh, don't you think those higher level players have more leverage than a slug like Noel?

• Premium Member
Just now, Watchman said:

John Collins is one player.  Dennis doesn't get it, and I think probably never will.  Prince takes two steps forward and three steps back it seems to me.

Prince is in his 2nd year in the league...Did DMC "get it" his 2nd year in the league?  What about Hardaway?

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The starting line up will be the same if we retain Dedmon so who will be that important piece we will lose to make us worse?

Why would he stay here?  If we draft Ayton, his opportunity goes away.  Our only hope at keeping him is to dramatically overpay him.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Why would he stay here?  If we draft Ayton, his opportunity goes away.  Our only hope at keeping him is to dramatically overpay him.

Y'all keep talking about how great Bud is but then assume no player wants to play for him....I find that strange!

16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Tanking is never the only feasible option for a team.  Look at the Houston Rockets.  They did not tank.  They clearly did a middle build.  They won 34 games in a strike shortened season.  Within 2 seasons, they were at 54 wins.  Now, they are looking at a 60 plus win season.  They may not beat the Warriors in the Western Conference finals.  Does that mean they should bottom out and be shitty for several years just because they can't beat the warriors?

Edit:  Look through this thread.  There are several, I'd say the majority of the pro tankers that believe this team will be back in the playoffs within a 2-3 year window.  It's just not going to happen.

Hinkie covered the Rockets as one of the ways to launch a team into a contender (he was the VP and architect behind the Harden trade)

However to do this you need to actually have space and the ability to make the best offer (assets)

And the Rockets shouldn’t blow it up as they are in a position to contend for the west for the next few years 

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Y'all keep talking about how great Bud is but then assume no player wants to play for him....I find that strange!

Bud could be the greatest coach ever (not saying that he is), but if the front office handicaps him, it doesn't matter.

Edited by Watchman

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, KB21 said:

No, you actually haven't.  You have included teams that drafted at the top BEFORE the lottery was in existence.  Still, in all the years of the lottery, only two teams have drafted #1 overall and won a championship with that player on the roster.  

So still not answering the question about a team that resembled the Hawks and went on to win a ring?  Going to pretend this mediocre team with no superstar to champion model has some precedent?

Shaking my head at the logical disconnect here.

I see the zero championships Rockets are being called up.  Good for you for identifying a team that has never made the finals as validation of the notion that you don't have to suck to win a ring.  Would be even better if they had ever emerged from the West.  

Would be even better if the Rockets didn't acquire their MVP-level talent by dealing multiple lottery picks that they acquired by missing the playoffs.

The Rockets could be the first team ever to break this mold, though, since I agree they never won fewer than 30-some games during their build.

• Like 1