• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chris Jent to stay in Atlanta

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Chris Jent is remaining as an assistant coach with the Atlanta Hawks on new head coach Lloyd Pierce’s staff, a source said. Jent, who joined the Hawks in 2017, previously worked with Pierce under then-head coach Mike Brown’s staff with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/5/26/17398374/chris-jent-atlanta-hawks-coaching-staff-lloyd-pierce-melvin-hunt

• Like 1

Mike Brown is being called a very underrated coach these days. It seems like he put together a sound staff and I am coming around to thinking of Brown in that context as well.

Standing next to Kerr will do that for a person...   That said, I actually agree that with as much experience he has coupled with being relatively young for having said experience makes for an excellent candidate.  Also guessing the Lacob's are paying him handsomely in Cali and that it is gonna take a heckuva opportunity.  Have the Raptors got a coach yet?

I don’t know much about Schlloyd’s head assistant Melvin Hunt other than a brief interim HC stint in Denver with a winning record. Good offensive mind? Hawks OC?

55 minutes ago, hazer said:

I don’t know much about Schlloyd’s head assistant Melvin Hunt other than a brief interim HC stint in Denver with a winning record. Good offensive mind? Hawks OC?

He was Dallas's defensive coach, but here is a video of him talking about his offensive principles:

He mentions pace and space as what he wants to do.

• Like 3

Doing a running commentary while I'm listening to this.

1.  Pace

2.  Space

3.  Passing

4.  Penetration

*Pace starts on the defensive end of the floor.  If you can play fast on defense and make quick decisions, then you can play fast on offense.

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He was Dallas's defensive coach, but here is a video of him talking about his offensive principles:

He mentions pace and space as what he wants to do.

Saw that in a google search and meant to watch it, haven’t yet. Was reading a 2016 article instead about being Mav’s D coach. He mentioned since he was a former PG he considers himself more of an O coach. Article also mentioned how he’s coached more stars than anyone: Melo, Olajuwon, Kobe, Shaq, Lebron, Dirk, etc.

We’ve heard Schlenk, Pierce, and now Hunt all emphasize pace. A double-forward front court of Collins/Bagley would be pretty hard to defend in said system. Leads me to believe that’ll be the pick. Unless Doncic is still on the board, with his high BBIQ and passing skills. 

5 minutes ago, hazer said:

We’ve heard Schlenk, Pierce, and now Hunt all emphasize pace. A double-forward front court of Collins/Bagley would be pretty hard to defend in said system. Leads me to believe that’ll be the pick. Unless Doncic is still on the board, with his high BBIQ and passing skills. 

Part of playing pace and space is that you have to be able to space the floor, and he also mentions that your pace starts on defense.  Bagley can certainly play at a high pace, but until he becomes a better shooter, he's going to hurt your ability to space the floor.  Particularly when you put him beside another non perimeter shooting big in John Collins.   You are also going to have major issues on defense with defending the paint, as Bagley is not anywhere close to being good defensively, and Collins isn't that good either.  Neither player offers much in the form of rim protection.  Collins is ahead of Bagley as far as knowing what to do relative to switching and help defense.

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Part of playing pace and space is that you have to be able to space the floor, and he also mentions that your pace starts on defense.  Bagley can certainly play at a high pace, but until he becomes a better shooter, he's going to hurt your ability to space the floor.  Particularly when you put him beside another non perimeter shooting big in John Collins.   You are also going to have major issues on defense with defending the paint, as Bagley is not anywhere close to being good defensively, and Collins isn't that good either.  Neither player offers much in the form of rim protection.  Collins is ahead of Bagley as far as knowing what to do relative to switching and help defense.

My hope is that Pierce’s emphasis on defense will improve team D, and by proxy both Collins’ and Bagley’s defensive games. And that retaining Jent, whom Lebron credited with improving his shot, can school them both into 35+% 3-point shooting.

4 minutes ago, hazer said:

My hope is that Pierce’s emphasis on defense will improve team D, and by proxy both Collins’ and Bagley’s defensive games. And that retaining Jent, whom Lebron credited with improving his shot, can school them both into 35+% 3-point shooting.

I don't like relying upon the development of skills that aren't already apparent in these young players.  With Bagley, at best, you are looking at year 3 before his shooting doesn't hurt your spacing.  

25 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't like relying upon the development of skills that aren't already apparent in these young players.  With Bagley, at best, you are looking at year 3 before his shooting doesn't hurt your spacing.  

That’s all a part of development. I don’t think Bagleys stroke is bad enough to take 3 years of adjustment. He’s already demonstrated decent range from about 20 ft out. At worst, I think it takes 3 years. We’ve got a really good shooting coach. 

26 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You act like Bagley shoots as bad as Ben Simmons. lol. It'll probably be year 3 before Doncic has the lateral quickness to defend or get past NBA defenders on offense..It'll also probably be year three before JJJ can stay on the court because of foul trouble...So Take your pick.....

Just now, terrell said:

You act like Bagley shoots as bad as Ben Simmons. lol. It'll probably be year 3 before Doncic has the lateral quickness to defend or get past NBA defenders on offense..It'll also probably be year three before JJJ can stay on the court because of foul trouble...So Take your pick.....And I like all 3 players. Just sayin..

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

*If you are holding it, you are wrong.

Really emphasizing passing the ball.

But I thought Bud was the only coach that understood that principle? Lol!  Just Kidding of course!

4 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

That’s all a part of development. I don’t think Bagleys stroke is bad enough to take 3 years of adjustment. He’s already demonstrated decent range from about 20 ft out. At worst, I think it takes 3 years. We’ve got a really good shooting coach. 

He's clearly not a natural shooter.  He doesn't get much vertical explosion on his jumpers.  His arm angle is less than 90 degrees.  He has to load up to get his shot off.  He will likely never be able to shoot off the dribble.

4 hours ago, terrell said:

You act like Bagley shoots as bad as Ben Simmons. lol. It'll probably be year 3 before Doncic has the lateral quickness to defend or get past NBA defenders on offense..It'll also probably be year three before JJJ can stay on the court because of foul trouble...So Take your pick.....

Defending is not about lateral quickness or athleticism.  It is all about positioning.  You have to understand your positioning, understand your foot work, understand the concept of team defense.  Luke Doncic will be a good defender in the NBA a lot sooner than Marvin Bagley will be a good shooter because of his (Doncic's) basketball IQ.  He's a much smarter player than Bagley.