• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk Is BK Part 2

vdunkndunk

Travis Schlenk is BK Part 2, in the worst possible sense. Basically, he thinks he’s smarter than the rest of the league and ends up drafting based on his personal obsession rather than intelligent analysis.

With BK, it was unskilled 6’8 forwards (including Sheldon Williams). With Schlenk, it’s apparently unathletic shooters who play no D and wouldn’t have been picked within 5-10 spots of where Schlenk took them by any other team.

We had Doncic. We could have had JJJ, too, or even Bamba. But no...we took the No. 3 pick and threw it in the garbage by drafting an unathetic 6’1 chucker who plays no D, airballs 3’s early in the shotclock, and likely would have been available at 12.

Oh, wait...almost forgot we also got that pick from the Mavs...except we know for a FACT it won’t be in the top 5. And even if it was, it’s likely a weaker draft—and I no longer trust Schlenk to identify talent—so extra picks to throw in the garage offer me no solace.

Get rid of Schlenk now before he picks again! (And no, this isn’t an over reaction to one summer league game...I felt even worse about this pick on draft night the moment they announced that trade.)

At least Trae can pass if he puts his mind to it, but he’d rather jack up terrible 3’s. Why turn the No. 3 pick into this guy? I’d be more surprised if he made two all-star teams in his career than I would be if you told me he’d be coming off the bench for the rest of his career after his rookie contract. We’ve been down this road before....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vdunkndunk said:

Travis Schlenk is BK Part 2, in the worst possible sense. Basically, he thinks he’s smarter than the rest of the league and ends up drafting based on his personal obsession rather than intelligent analysis.

With BK, it was unskilled 6’8 forwards (including Sheldon Williams). With Schlenk, it’s apparently unathletic shooters who play no D and wouldn’t have been picked within 5-10 spots of where Schlenk took them by any other team.

We had Doncic. We could have had JJJ, too, or even Bamba. But no...we took the No. 3 pick and threw it in the garbage by drafting an unathetic 6’1 chucker who plays no D, airballs 3’s early in the shotclock, and likely would have been available at 12.

Oh, wait...almost forgot we also got that pick from the Mavs...except we know for a FACT it won’t be in the top 5. And even if it was, it’s likely a weaker draft—and I no longer trust Schlenk to identify talent—so extra picks to throw in the garage offer me no solace.

Get rid of Schlenk now before he picks again! (And no, this isn’t an over reaction to one summer league game...I felt even worse about this pick on draft night the moment they announced that trade.)

At least Trae can pass if he puts his mind to it, but he’d rather jack up terrible 3’s. Why turn the No. 3 pick into this guy? I’d be more surprised if he made two all-star teams in his career than I would be if you told me he’d be coming off the bench for the rest of his career after his rookie contract. We’ve been down this road before....

Feel better? 

23 minutes ago, vdunkndunk said:

You complain about nonathletic players then get made because Doncic wasn't drafted. 

Just now, Plainview1981 said:

You complain about nonathletic players then get made because Doncic wasn't drafted. 

Mad. As if Doncic is athletic.

• Like 1

All JJJ was doing was chucking threes. He wasn't doing anything you didn't expect him not to do. He just couldn't miss. While Trae was bricking open threes. Not sure what to say other than I was far more impressed with Trae skill set. What I am not impressed with is his handle and athletic ability which needs a lot of work.

With JJJ, I was impressed with how he picked his spots. Atlanta didn't help with bad defense but JJJ picked his spots well but let's be clear. If he went 0-8, we would be having a completely different conversation

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vdunkndunk said:

No, I complain about unathletic shooters who play no D and wouldn’t have been drafted as high by any other team. Doncic is a 6’8 multifaceted playmaker who was coveted by many teams at No. 3. Who was trading up to take Trae Young?

He wasn't coverted by the two teams that picked one and two and so maybe everyone doesn't think he is the best thing ever. He might be king of the shit shack league, but he averaged 14 PPG and shot 30% in 3's. Below average athletic ability at the NBA level and the testosterone level of a 13 year old girl. He might be a good player. But the hype for this guy is laughable.

Just now, Plainview1981 said:

He wasn't coverted by the two teams that picked one and two and so maybe everyone doesn't think he is the best thing ever. He might be king of the shit shack league, but he averaged 14 PPG and shot 30% in 3's. Below average athletic ability at the NBA level and the testosterone level of a 13 year old girl. He might be a good player. But the hype for this guy is laughable.

*coveted*

In all fairness, Young looked great moving in space and was looking like a young Nash off the PnR. His issue is like Nash, he can't beat no one off the dribble. For his style, he's gonna have to become an elite shooter to get away with it. Also, off the ball, he was a mess offensively. I wasn't happy but then again, I knew this was a weakness from college. Same for his lack of finishing around the rim

2 minutes ago, vdunkndunk said:

Ah, the old Dion Glover SL argument. Just realized that Trae Young isn’t as short or unathletic as I thought, because, you know...Dion Glover.

What is this obsession with size all of a sudden? When was the last dominant big man to lead a team to a title? Did the league all of a sudden become filled with centers like Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing and the alike? This narrative seemed to pop up when this Euro started getting hype.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

In all fairness, Young looked great moving in space and was looking like a young Nash off the PnR. His issue is like Nash, he can't beat no one off the dribble. For his style, he's gonna have to become an elite shooter to get away with it. Also, off the ball, he was a mess offensively. I wasn't happy but then again, I knew this was a weakness from college. Same for his lack of finishing around the rim

Young may or may not be great. But it seems like a lot of this complaining has more to do with the Hawks not picking the hyped up player. A guy that clearly has some talent, but the hype level is much larger than the achievements here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Plainview1981 said:

Young may or may not be great. But it seems like a lot of this complaining has more to do with the Hawks not picking the hyped up player. A guy that clearly has some talent, but the hype level is much larger than the achievements here. 

He's raw which is what I told everyone. Boom or bust. this is what a boom or bust is. It takes time.

• Like 1

I said I’d take JJJ, Bamba, or Doncic...but NOT Trae Young.

1 minute ago, Plainview1981 said:

What is this obsession with size all of a sudden? When was the last dominant big man to lead a team to a title? Did the league all of a sudden become filled with centers like Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing and the alike? This narrative seemed to pop up when this Euro started getting hype.

Did you read the initial post? I said I would have accepted Doncic, JJJ, or Bamba...three guys who have top-5 talent...but NOT Trae Young. Schlenk out thought himself and turned down elite talent and potential for a guy who will have to shoot the lights out every night and pass like Steve Nash just to justify time on the court. Trae has a path to NBA success, but it’s a narrow path that doesn’t justify passing on the talent we passed on.

Just now, vdunkndunk said:

I said I’d take JJJ, Bamba, or Doncic...but NOT Trae Young.

Did you read the initial post? I said I would have accepted Doncic, JJJ, or Bamba...three guys who have top-5 talent...but NOT Trae Young. Schlenk out thought himself and turned down elite talent and potential for a guy who will have to shoot the lights out every night and pass like Steve Nash just to justify time on the court. Trae has a path to NBA success, but it’s a narrow path that doesn’t justify passing on the talent we passed on.

JJJ is just going to be a role player at best. In 10 years he will have become a journeyman big shooting spot up 3's like Marvin Williams. I'd rather take someone with potential more than that.

• Like 1

JJJ is going to be a flop. All he can do is shoot threes. He has no inside game. He can't handle contact and defensively, he is clumsy. 

This hype over him today is lame as all he did was shoot threes. He didnt do anything he didnt show at MSU. That said, maybe just maybe that shot will translate. He gets it off extremely quick. It's not slow at all.

• Like 2