• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sports Illustrated disagrees with a lot of you here

Peoriabird

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Like I said before...He will not lead the team in FG attempts this year.

You were treating the statement of 12 turnovers in a game at face value so you'll forgive me if I have to try to flesh out your view with a little more context.  I have no doubt he will be one of our highest FGA people and will have to see how he comes along to see if he will lead the team in FGA.  It is very possible if he has a green light but it shouldn't happen.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

You were treating the statement of 12 turnovers in a game at face value so you'll forgive me if I have to try to flesh out your view with a little more context.  I have no doubt he will be one of our highest FGA people and will have to see how he comes along to see if he will lead the team in FGA.  It is very possible if he has a green light but it shouldn't happen.

He isn't at Oklahoma anymore...there are better more efficient scorers on this Hawk team than him so I still maintain there is zero chance the coaching staff's game plan is to have Young lead the team in shots per game

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

He isn't at Oklahoma anymore...there are better more efficient scorers on this Hawk team than him so I still maintain there is zero chance the coaching staff's game plan is to have Young lead the team in shots per game

Fair enough.  We'll see how it goes.  I agree with you that our coaches should not make him the highest volume shooter on the team.  That should 100% be John Collins.  (What should be and what is don't always match, though).

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Fair enough.  We'll see how it goes.  I agree with you that our coaches should not make him the highest volume shooter on the team.  That should 100% be John Collins.  (What should be and what is don't always match, though).

So you are a Pierce doubter too. Geez! How many of you are out there? If you or I can see a better offensive plan than making Trae a selfish gunner, don't you think people being paid a lot of money to come up with best offensive plan can see it too or are you just that high on youself?

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

They may not want him to lead in shots per game but they sure want him to keep shooting. 

Hawks want Young to keep shooting, continue to find other ways to help team win, on Trae Young’s 12th shot attempt in Atlanta’s 116-102 win over New Orleans on Monday night, the rookie released a sigh of relief.

https://theathletic.com/561314/2018/10/02/hawks-want-young-to-keep-shooting-continue-to-find-other-ways-to-help-team-win/

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They may not want him to lead in shots per game but they sure want him to keep shooting. 

https://theathletic.com/561314/2018/10/02/hawks-want-young-to-keep-shooting-continue-to-find-other-ways-to-help-team-win/

In preseason games! You seriously think that the preseason game plan is the same as the regular season game plan do you?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So you are a Pierce doubter too. Geez! How many of you are out there? If you or I can see a better offensive plan than making Trae a selfish gunner, don't you think people being paid a lot of money to come up with best offensive plan can see it too or are you just that high on youself?

It seems like you out of your mind on some of these hot takes.  Why don’t you stop doing crazy spins on what people write here and just stick with what they say?  Where did I say I was a Pierce doubter?  Ever?  

I’m excited to see what Pierce brings to the table and open and ready to see it.  If Young leads the team in fga that won’t be me throwing the towel in on Pierce either.  I could see him giving Young free reign to start his rookie season as part of a longterm developmental plan.  I could see him not doing that.  Let’s wait and see before jamming words in other people’s mouths.

Come on man.  This is some flat earth hot take stuff here.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

It seems like you out of your mind on some of these hot takes.  Why don’t you stop doing crazy spins on what people write here and just stick with what they say?  Where did I say I was a Pierce doubter?  Ever?  

I’m excited to see what Pierce brings to the table and open and ready to see it.  If Young leads the team in fga that won’t be me throwing the towel in on Pierce either.  I could see him giving Young free reign to start his rookie season as part of a longterm developmental plan.  I could see him not doing that.  Let’s wait and see before jamming words in other people’s mouths.

Come on man.  This is some flat earth hot take stuff here.  

Why would any good coach have that as a plan?  Why would a coach have one of its most inefficient scorers take most of the shot especially when his best attributes is to create better shots for his teammates?  If your answer is as vague and random as the above response then I must assume that you feel that Pierce either isn't trying to win or he is not good at winning.  Which is it?

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why would any good coach have that as a plan?  Why would a coach have one of its most inefficient scorers take most of the shot especially when his best attributes is to create better shots for his teammates?  If your answer is as vague and random as the above response then I must assume that you feel that Pierce either isn't trying to win or he is not good at winning.  Which is it?

If we drafted Trae expecting him to be one of our most inefficient scorers then we made a horrible mistake.  I think he was drafted with the expectation that he would grow into being a highly efficient scorer with the ability to stretch the floor and open things up for his teammates with his scoring from the point position.

You apparently think Trae will be one of the team's most inefficient scorers and then are trying to run some type of analysis extrapolating what I said (in the most negative light possible) based on your assumptions. 

Don't use your own assumptions to put words in my mouth attacking our players or coaches.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we drafted Trae expecting him to be one of our most inefficient scorers then we made a horrible mistake.  I think he was drafted with the expectation that he would grow into being a highly efficient scorer with the ability to stretch the floor and open things up for his teammates with his scoring from the point position.

You apparently think Trae will be one of the team's most inefficient scorers and then are trying to run some type of analysis extrapolating what I said (in the most negative light possible) based on your assumptions. 

Don't use your own assumptions to put words in my mouth attacking our players or coaches.

There is no thinking...He has been inefficient while others on the team have been more efficient like John Collins.  This is obvious stuff and I don't know why you can't understand.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

There is no thinking...He has been inefficient while others on the team have been more efficient like John Collins.  This is obvious stuff and I don't know why you can't understand.

I have no problem with you saying your piece.  I disagree with you on how the coaching staff views Trae (you saying they view him as a very inefficient scorer; my thinking they view him as a cornerstone part of our scoring) but that is what this board is about.  We are all free to share our different views on the situation.  If I write something that suggests to you that I must hate Coach Pierce but I haven't actually ever said that then ask me if that is what I mean.

My simple ask is that you stop putting words in my mouth.  Because you nearly always misrepresent my views.  It is amazing consistency on that point.

Really simple.  

• Moderators
Just now, kg01 said:

Sheesh.  Como se dice, "conduct unbecoming"? :ohmy:

:happy:

#kg4mod2018

Now KG thinks Pierce is engaging in conduct unbecoming!  How dare you sir.  Support our coaching staff!

(/close sarcasm)

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

I have no problem with you saying your piece.  I disagree with you on how the coaching staff views Trae (you saying they view him as a very inefficient scorer; my thinking they view him as a cornerstone part of our scoring) but that is what this board is about.  We are all free to share our different views on the situation.  If I write something that suggests to you that I must hate Coach Pierce but I haven't actually ever said that then ask me if that is what I mean.

My simple ask is that you stop putting words in my mouth.  Because you nearly always misrepresent my views.  It is amazing consistency on that point.

Really simple.  

Again, You are trying to convince me that Pierce sees Trae as one of the most efficient scorers on the team.  What metric support such an opinion?  The answer is none.  Therefore one must conclude that Pierce see something that the numbers don't support and will run his offense based on something that is imagined.  To me that is bad coaching and if you believe Pierce plans to do what you have suggested then one must assume that you think Pierce is a bad coach.  A good offense coach will utilize player's strength and right now scoring efficiency isn't one of Trae's strengths but Facilitating is.  So it would only make logical sense for Trae to be more of a facilitator right now than a gunner.  I hope this clarifies things.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Again, You are trying to convince me that Pierce sees Trae as one of the most efficient scorers on the team.  What metric support such an opinion?  The answer is none.  Therefore one must conclude that Pierce see something that the numbers don't support and will run his offense based on something that is imagined.  To me that is bad coaching and if you believe Pierce plans to do what you have suggested then one must assume that you think Pierce is a bad coach.  A good offense coach will utilize player's strength and right now scoring efficiency isn't one of Trae's strengths but Facilitating is.  So it would only make logical sense for Trae to be more of a facilitator right now than a gunner.  I hope this clarifies things.

You know what they say about assuming so stop using your assumptions to put words in my mouth.  That is what I am asking for. Simple request.

------

On the actual topic, we agree that Trae will be asked to facilitate but you seem to be suggesting that he will largely shelve his shooting to focus on facilitation while I think he will be given direction to both score and facilitate.  You have said you think Trae's shooting will drop off dramatically from what we have seen in a Hawks jersey so far (with him having been the FGA leader in SL and SSS preseason but there being a 'zero' chance he does so in the regular season meaning he shouldn't be close to being a FGA leader there).  I disagree and think he will remain one of our highest volume shooters with the possibility existing that he will lead the team in FGA. 

You seem to think if Trae remains one of the highest volume shooters on the team that the only logical conclusion that I could draw is that Pierce is a bad coach and therefore feel free to posit that I hate Pierce.  We disagree on the likely volume of Trae's shots and the implications Trae being allowed to be one of the leading volume shooters on the team as a reflection on Pierce's coaching.   I think Pierce will be most concerned with developing Trae for the long-term and won't care very much if he struggles with his %s this year as he views Trae as someone who will eventually get to be a highly efficient scorer.  I am neither a Pierce "believer" nor a Pierce "doubter."  I am rooting for him to great things with this team and waiting to actually see what he does before offering an opinion on the job he does.  Not that complex.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Btw, can I count on your vote?

It is logical that if I hate Pierce and you hate Pierce that I must be voting for you, right?  I am sure some poster will explain my support for your candidacy based on my hate for Pierce soon.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think Pierce will be most concerned with developing Trae for the long-term and won't care very much if he struggles with his %s this year.

This doesn't make a lick of sense.  Why would any coach allow one player to destroy the team???  There are other players on the team trying to win games and if the coach is telling an inefficient scorer to continue to be a selfish gunner, how is that good coaching??? If that make sense in your world then so be it.