• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Capela is much better than I thought!!

Wurider05

• Premium Member

For a team that lacked a starting-caliber center all last season, one who could defend, rebound at a high level and finish around the rim, Capela already is making a big difference for the Hawks.

“Trying to be a presence,” Capela said. “Every time I see the ball go up, I put myself in a position to get the rebound. Every time I see the opposite team get into my paint, I try to protect my rim, and over and over. Just trying to do it over and over, that’s what I do. That’s why I said, whenever I first came in, that this is what I do, so I just did it multiple times tonight. And I plan on keeping (on having) that kind of presence, rebounds and blocked shots.”

“It took him a while to get his legs going, it took him a while for me to play him extended minutes, and now we’re playing him 30-plus, 40 almost tonight, just because he’s getting in game shape,” Pierce said. “He’s in better game shape and you’re seeing more production from him.”

Before the season, Pierce spoke with Capela about what he envisioned for Capela’s role. Before joining the Hawks, Capela was in Houston as the team moved more toward small ball.

“I said, ‘I just need Clint Capela to be Clint Capela,’” Pierce said. “‘We didn’t bring you here to reinvent you, put you behind the 3-point line or do anything different. Play behind the defense, rim-run in transition, set screens and roll, create some separation, and crash the glass.’”

• Like 3