• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our PG'S and their impact

sillent

One of the main things about last season was Trae Young was our dictator. Whenever Trae Young was available we go as Trae does. When he sat we struggled. 

The league messed up and let the closest player to Trae in Sharife fall right to us at #48. Trae is the perfect mentor for Sharife Cooper and even now having another cerebral player coming off our bench (eventually) is going to be ridiculous.

If there was one knock I personally had on Trae it was that he had too much reign to control our outcome last season. Trae being so cerebral can manipulate games as he sees fit. Good thing he manipulated them in our favor on most occasions but until Lou came along he really didn't have a player behind him that could keep our offense flowing.

Sharife is going to push Trae to be even better and vice versa. Speaking of versa the versatility of Delon Wright and even Skylar Mays to a degree gives us great guard/pg depth. 

Sharife can come in and run the pick and roll offense and lob to a Jalen Johnson/Onyeka Okongwu (when healthy) pairing and even a JC/Clint pairing as well as dish it to our shooters.

Delon Wright can give us the defense we expected out of Dunn with alot more offensive upside and a rebounding knack.

Skylar Mays is definitely in the mold of a Jalen Brunson and Malcom Brogdon type player. Not to flashy but very fundamental and knows how to get the job done.

If somehow we get Lou back (I doubt 3yrs) we'd have arguably the best combination of guards in the league. The fact that Bogi, K'Von, Cam Reddish and Jalen Johnson are playmakers as well leaves us pretty good and versatile at the guard position.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sillent said:

Sharife can come in and run the pick and roll offense and lob to a Jalen Johnson/Onyeka Okongwu (when healthy) pairing and even a JC/Clint pairing as well as dish it to our shooters.

Yes. If. If.

If he can shoot enough.

Otherwise, they'll just sag back and let him clunk one off the rim. (Does he have a runner? I can't say I saw one in all the highlight reels, but maybe I just missed it.)

This is key.

He's slow in the launch. He's got a form that seems to the naked eye to beg for Chris Jent's full attention.

Most of his points seem to be layups. That's not going to happen in the big show.

Eleven other teams valued another PG above him. That's a lot.

I'm rooting for him as much as anyone, but it does no one any good to set up expectations as-if everyone else is a fool. He's about as boom or bust as they come. Some players do improve their shot markedly once they get in the league. He has to be one of those.

• Like 1

Question:  Who has the very best floater in the NBA?  I vote, Trae Young.

Who really needs to learn to shoot the floater?  I vote Sharife Cooper.

When I add 2+2 = 4 someone is sure to ask, "Did you pay sales tax on that?  If you did, your answer is wrong."  Guess we will find out what sort of teacher we have at PG!

👨‍🌾

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Cooper will be a Hawk in pre season, then he becomes a Skyhawk.  That will give him a lot of playing time.  Jalen Johnson may join him there.  Or, he may stay with the Hawks.  He's very good.  He and Cooper both need playing time.  They may be up and down much of the season.

Nice that the Hawks and the Skyhawks homes are close to each other.  Makes moving easier.

:smug:

• Thanks 1