• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teams that could be trouble to us.

Diesel

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, thecampster said:

chiming in on this thread.

Maybe the most important things being missed about the Hawks are the values from:

1) being another year older, closer to their player primes.

2) the value of that playoff experience (knowing how to close games).

3) Starting the year with a Nate McMillan led training camp.

4) Having the respect now to get the benefit of the whistle.

I don't care what other teams improved this off season with moves. These things are just as valuable.

R.70dea7321e1cd4a773698597442effbe?rik=o

(And in other news... sturt has pretty much settled on his favorite gif... expect a lot of it.)

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, thecampster said:

chiming in on this thread.

Maybe the most important things being missed about the Hawks are the values from:

1) being another year older, closer to their player primes.

2) the value of that playoff experience (knowing how to close games).

3) Starting the year with a Nate McMillan led training camp.

4) Having the respect now to get the benefit of the whistle.

I don't care what other teams improved this off season with moves. These things are just as valuable.

I'm not going to dilute myself into believing that the new rules that were created didn't have Trae's name as a highlight of them.    They may as well have named the rules the Trae Rules because their intent was to stop plays that they saw Trae creating.   We can act as if Trae wasn't the thought when they went into passing these rules but we would be lying to ourselves. 

Secondly, it hasn't mattered how good we have ever been... No Atlanta Team has ever been respected. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Echoing a lot of what people here have been saying but the only team that I think likely finishes ahead of us in the regular season is the Bucks.  Bud always has good regular season records and the team is solid and seemingly not very injury prone.  The Nets are a wildcard for me just based on injuries, sabbaticals, and regular season effort.  I put Philly ahead of us if the simmons issues get resolved in a way that makes their team better.  I think the last 4 playoff teams will likely be the top 4 seeds.  For the others:

Heat - Agree with @AHF on Butler's contract.  No one can convince me a guy that needs the ball in his hands -- but doesn't have a respectable outside shot -- is worth $46M/year.  He's an effort guy but effort has limitations and defenses sag off him.  I think any tightening up on foul calling also punishes jimmy hard.  Dude relies on free throws.  Kyle is getting old and washed, not convinced he can be a difference maker down there. I put them around 6-7 seed next year

Celtics - This is a huge wildcard team for me.  I wonder if Tatum makes a leap this year after going to the Olympics and trying to redeem the C's after a disappointing last season.  Horford is interesting but he's getting old and immobile as well -- he's a smart defender though so I think he will be a positive for them.  I see the Celtics anywhere from 4th seed to a playin team.

Bulls - playin time.  I'm not sold on this roster at all.  They somehow didn't get better adding Vuc last year and Derozan/Lavine, as many have mentioned, is the most uninspiring wing defense you can draw up.  My guess is they upset a lot of top teams next year and then also lose to trash teams.  I put them around 7-8.

Knicks - really not sold on the Knicks.  They did shore up their weakest position, but I just don't see Randle having another great regular season and I'm still not much of an RJ believer.  The one thing this team does have is regular season effort so they probably end up somewhere around 6-8.  Their defense was great last year but I believe it will decline a lot with Kemba/Fournier out there.  

Charlotte - I like Charlotte's team.  I think Lamelo is the real deal and I won't be surprised if they sneak as high as 4th seed next year.  If Hayward can stay healthy, they are a tough team.  Bridges and Washington are two of my favorite young guys outside the Hawks.

Wizards/Pacers - I see these two teams fighting for the last playin spot.  This is assuming the Raptors do ship Siakam for picks, otherwise I think it'll be a three team fight for 10th with the Raptors most likely taking it.  Pacers just seem to get worse and worse every year and they haven't made any real moves to compete.  Wizards added some pieces around Beal but they lost regular season warrior Westbrook.  I'm not a huge believer in Beal.  Amazing as a pure scorer but does little else to contribute to winning games.

My final projections for next year (at least as rosters stand today):

1. Milwaukee
  2. Atlanta
  3. Brooklyn
  4. Boston
  5. Philly
  6. Charlotte
  7. Miami
  8. Chicago
  9. New York
  10. Washington
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Celtics - This is a huge wildcard team for me.  I wonder if Tatum makes a leap this year after going to the Olympics and trying to redeem the C's after a disappointing last season.  Horford is interesting but he's getting old and immobile as well -- he's a smart defender though so I think he will be a positive for them.  I see the Celtics anywhere from 4th seed to a playin team.

My final projections for next year (at least as rosters stand today):

1. Milwaukee
  2. Atlanta
  3. Brooklyn
  4. Boston
  5. Philly
  6. Charlotte
  7. Miami
  8. Chicago
  9. New York
  10. Washington

The problem with Tatum and Brown is they aren't playmakers.  They can get their own shots, but aren't very good at making their teammates better.  With that caveat, you should have Boston in the same category of Charlotte, Miami, and Chicago. 

No way Boston should be ahead of Philly.  They were better than Boston with this squad last year and  Boston hasn't done anything significant to improve their point guard position. Unless I'm missing something. 

I have no qualms with anything else you said.  Great analysis. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The problem with Tatum and Brown is they aren't playmakers.  They can get their own shots, but aren't very good at making their teammates better.  With that caveat, you should have Boston in the same category of Charlotte, Miami, and Chicago. 

No way Boston should be ahead of Philly.  They were better than Boston with this squad last year and  Boston hasn't done anything significant to improve their point guard position. Unless I'm missing something. 

I have no qualms with anything else you said.  Great analysis. 

Yeah, Celtics was the most of a stretch but my thinking was with Horford's on-court leadership and their guys playing more to their potential they could land as high as 4th.  You're probably right that they won't though.

• Like 1