• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dash the rehab German Shephard. Current progress.

thecampster

For those who didn't read it in the Ask Supes thread, I took on a special project.  2 year old German Shephard male (Dash) who was physically abused and 15 lbs underweight. He got the good old snip and had complications so the rehabilitation took longer than expected. We've had him 3 weeks and a day now. These videos were taken in the last 3 days. He's adapting well, still paces the house but is finally starting to adapt. He's learned his name and "come" in the last few weeks but because we can't work seriously with him...."come" comes and goes.

Video 1 is from a few days ago. He's learning pack behavior. In this video, Hiro eats first as he's alpha. This is about him learning to fit in as a beta in the pack.

• Like 3

This video is from this morning. He is terrified to go outside when not on the leash. We've been training him to use the dog door and today he graduated to using it alone.

Last video is from our walk today. On his first pack walk, he just darted side to side looking for somewhere to hide. He's bonding with Hiro and the double leash has really led to him walking with confidence.

Although he still prefers to sleep under a desk away from prying eyes, he has started using a dog bed in front of the fireplace when the other 2 dogs are calm.  He has finally started sharing food and water dishes and has started picking up dog toys to play with (started yesterday). He isn't playing yet but he's claiming things. He was never house trained but we are now 5 days since our last accident and we believe he will use the dog door himself going forward.

There is no aggression, no anger. He is a great dog and his spirit is starting to come out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, thecampster said:

This video is from this morning. He is terrified to go outside when not on the leash. We've been training him to use the dog door and today he graduated to using it alone.

Last video is from our walk today. On his first pack walk, he just darted side to side looking for somewhere to hide. He's bonding with Hiro and the double leash has really led to him walking with confidence.

Although he still prefers to sleep under a desk away from prying eyes, he has started using a dog bed in front of the fireplace when the other 2 dogs are calm.  He has finally started sharing food and water dishes and has started picking up dog toys to play with (started yesterday). He isn't playing yet but he's claiming things. He was never house trained but we are now 5 days since our last accident and we believe he will use the dog door himself going forward.

There is no aggression, no anger. He is a great dog and his spirit is starting to come out.

Team hunting is always the best. Nice!

I do have to mention upon hearing your voice that I could somewhat imagine that voice asking Spud how the wenis transplant went. :laugh1:

Nice work with the pup. He’s a lovely animal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Team hunting is always the best. Nice!

I do have to mention upon hearing your voice that I could somewhat imagine that voice asking Spud how the wenis transplant went. :laugh1:

Nice work with the pup. He’s a lovely animal.

I was a bit afraid of harnessing him with Hiro. Hiro has been uncharacteristically nervous/aggitated with him.  They are fine in the back seat together but Dash really doesn't understand giving the alpha his space, not bumping in to him. It's really obvious he was kept away from the other dogs except for breeding. Hiro has had to snip/snarl at him a few times for breaking protocol. Rushing in at a doorway and bumping him, trying to sniff him first, etc and he's been a bit jealous of Kat's attention. But they did really well today.

Only real issue today was a hillbilly family was congregated on the trail blocking the path. Dash went a good 10 feet off road to go around them and drug Hiro with him. Hiro wasn't mad but annoyed. He enjoys the attention from passersby.

• Like 1

When rehabilitating a dog, you have good and bad days.  Lots of progress made the last week. Today has been a regression day. He's pretty lethargic, laying under my desk. He's bonded more to my wife (by design) and she is a hybrid worker now. In the office today and he's confused, a bit bummed.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

When rehabilitating a dog, you have good and bad days.  Lots of progress made the last week. Today has been a regression day. He's pretty lethargic, laying under my desk. He's bonded more to my wife (by design) and she is a hybrid worker now. In the office today and he's confused, a bit bummed.

Comon pup 🐶 you got this! Definitely feel good days and bad for sure. 

• Like 1

So 3+ weeks ago, Dash had to be dragged (literally) outside. There was no way to get him to go outside without putting a harness on him, connecting it to the front hook so when you pulled it sideways it uncomfortably crossed his legs and forced him to stand. Then one person would have to gently push him from the back to steer, while another would pull from the front to get him to go outside. The door had to be open  before hand because opening doors eat dogs you know and he'd scatter. Once outside he'd just scatter looking for a place to hide. It was a 2 man game to get him in to the yard to relieve himself. He couldn't be trusted in the house or it would just happen there.

So we began rehab by trying to engage his natural herding instincts. By nature German Shepherds are not guard dogs or police dogs, they are herding dogs (its in the name). When rehabbing a dog, its always helpful to engage their natural instincts. Dogs, by nature, work. Whether its by companionship, guard duty, herding, sport, play, all dogs have a role, natural instincts.  So with Dash, rounding up herds and doing perimeter checks are natural. We started by 3 times a day taking (forcing) him outside and walking the perimeter of my big back yard a few times taking him to the edge and he naturally started marking the fence line to protect his territory. About 8 days ago, he started moving faster than us on the perimeter and stopped having to be forced outside. Still needed to be leashed up, but would get up as soon as leashed and stopped needing to be pushed along with pulled. 

Dash is now taking himself outside without being prompted. He will go outside with us to provide protection (guarding the herd) now by instinct (although if any strange noises happen, he'll dart inside and tell us we're on our own). So last night we came home from picking up fast food dinner (we've been training with cheeseburgers, his fave) to find Dash was not in the house. He was out in the yard, doing his own perimeter check and didn't care we'd come home. Something had wandered in under the fence and he was out checking it out.  We went out back, gave a whistle and he came bounding over the hill very happy to see us. His outdoor phobia now seems to be completely cured.

He still has issues to fix but it was a very, very good day. We are currently working on "play", which he is reticent to do. 

• Like 3

So we've identified some triggers and they're going to be really hard to ignore.  He doesn't like deep male voices. He really doesn't like crinkling wrappers. He doesn't like the sound of the kids at the playground. Nothing flying (no thrown balls, no tossed toys or treats. Nothing in the air is good). Wasn't fond of the bath but what dog really is.

We had a good streak of improvement days going but one crinkled up bag set us back a few days and he's back in his shell.

8 hours ago, thecampster said:

So we've identified some triggers and they're going to be really hard to ignore.  He doesn't like deep male voices. He really doesn't like crinkling wrappers. He doesn't like the sound of the kids at the playground. Nothing flying (no thrown balls, no tossed toys or treats. Nothing in the air is good). Wasn't fond of the bath but what dog really is.

We had a good streak of improvement days going but one crinkled up bag set us back a few days and he's back in his shell.

my recent pound-puppy loves things that make noise, the louder and more annoying the better.  I'm having to keep her from getting in the recycling to as she likes to play with plastic beverage bottles because they make a "wonderful" noise.  However, I cant get this dog to walk on a leash. She just drops the floor and trembles. I've taken her out with the older dog who knows leashtime is walk time (which he likes). Any ideas? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frosgrim said:

my recent pound-puppy loves things that make noise, the louder and more annoying the better.  I'm having to keep her from getting in the recycling to as she likes to play with plastic beverage bottles because they make a "wonderful" noise.  However, I cant get this dog to walk on a leash. She just drops the floor and trembles. I've taken her out with the older dog who knows leashtime is walk time (which he likes). Any ideas? 

Are you using a harness? Specifically one with both front and back latches?

A harness with a padded chest can give a dog a sense of confidence, protection. Some dogs who were walked on a choker collar will develop a fear of not being able to breathe and associate it with the walk.  A 2 dog leash can change this perception. By putting him, her on a 2 dog leash close together can shift the focus to buddy dog.  So weird suggestion but putting the dog in a wagon and being taken for a pull around the neighborhood can make them relax.

Basically though, the fear of outside is usually from being attacked by other dogs or frustrated owners yanking leashes, pulling hard, using a choker.  

If this is the case, the dog will try to pull again. Don't pull on the dog, instead change direction. Every time they get ahead and start pulling, just make your "eh" noise and change direction.  Dog psychology is whoever is in front knows where the food is. If you never change direction and dog is out front, he/she believes its their responsibility to find the smells. If you keep changing direction (with a purpose), they'll assume you have a scent and follow you.  With practice, they learn to just walk at a heel to learn what you're smelling.

So if the dog is persistent and its just a fear of the outside, perform walks in the house "to" people with treats. Place wife, kid, neighbor, drinking buddy somewhere in the house with a few bits of cooked chicken or cheese burger.  connect the leash and have the buddy call them (short distances first so doggo can smell).  Walk with him with the leash so its not scary.  You may have to repeat this exercise 5 or 6 times for him/her to get the hang of it and for a few different sessions on different days.

For the last session, the person with the food is outside the open door. Pup has to go outside for their chicken.  It should click that walks are not beating/choking time but hunt for treats time and it will take.  Car rides with open windows can really help as well.

@thecampster

Thanks for the advice. yes, we have a nice padded harness for her. She loves to be outside (goes in the yard with no problem and loves new people), but just fears the leash.  I'm considering putting it on her while in the house and leave it on for an hour, and then gradually increase so she starts to lose some of the fear and/or acclimates to it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

@thecampster

Thanks for the advice. yes, we have a nice padded harness for her. She loves to be outside (goes in the yard with no problem and loves new people), but just fears the leash.  I'm considering putting it on her while in the house and leave it on for an hour, and then gradually increase so she starts to lose some of the fear and/or acclimates to it. 

or 

55 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

@thecampster

Patience is everything really. If you think you've tried enough and she should be turning a corner...you're probably 3 attempts short of where you need to be.

Everything in dog world is a search for food. So whoever is walking with confidence toward something must smell something you don't. Taking a confident lead (someone in front) who keeps finding things can make a dog forget they're even on a leash.

Dash still hides under my desk, behind the couch a lot (way more than I'm happy with), but you open that garage door and boom, confident.  Runs to the door excited because garages have cars and cars mean bye byes.

Completely forgets he's hiding from a cat. The trick is new associative behaviors to get a dog past its triggers. What it loves, make putting on the leash the key to getting what it loves.  If it loves car rides, leash to the car. If it loves chasing chickens in the yard, leash first, chickens next. If you have a treats closet, drawer...leash on then to the closet.  Leash before good thing eventually means leash = good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

One of Dash's issues was a distrust of humans.  When my son was bringing him down for rehab, he broke off his leash and ran away and it took him and a group of volunteers a week to retrap him.  This isn't new, he's always trying to get away.

So we're at the Silver Comet for our daily walk last week and he leapt over the other dogs and out of the car before we could grab and leash him. He headed up the trail at a quick trot and looked to be running away again. He didn't looked terrified, just determined to go up the trail and get his walk on.

This is where he came back to the wife with a few whistles and a call to come.  Cannot tell you how much this made my day. He prefers to come back now, instead of running away. He doesn't 100% trust humans yet but he trusts her and that's gigantic progress.

No description available.

• Like 3